5W30 A5 for Fiesta ST

hi guys, i'm an italian boy riding a Fiesta ST 1.6T 2015. The EU specs for this engine are 5W30 ACEA A5 with Ford 913D approval. The recommended oil is Castrol Magnatec by i'd like to try something different due to the fact that this oil is HC and not fully synt. I've discovered the Addinol Premium 0530 FD, PAO base, higher flash point, higher TBN, higher VI. What do you think about Addinol? Do you think that the additives of Castrol Magnatec could be better or that the quality of Addinol is higher?

10q

I running repeatedly Addinol Premium 0530 FD in my mom's 2004 Fiesta with 1.3 rocam engine and in my 2006 Fiesta 1.6 16V with zero issues. Reputable German oil company. I've ran Castol Magnatec in both cars as well, had minor oil consumption towards the end of one year OCI here, but besides that couldn't tell a diffrence. I think you are fine with either one. The 2004 Fiesta is seriously short tripped all it's life with 75,000 Km on the clock, recently did the valve cover gasket and cam looked like new, no varnish or discoloration anywhere. Haven't tried the Addinol 5W-20 variant in my 2013 Fiesta with the 1.0 Ecoboost engine, still under dealer maintenance flatrate with Castrol oil beeing used. If I do not trade it in after 4 year flatrate is up, will switch to Addinol as well. Hope this is helpful for you to decide.

well, i don't agree...i had (and i want) to respect the 913D approval and all the oils that respect the 913D are A5/B5 (or A1/B1 + A5/B5). I know that the ACEA A5 is for fuel economy but the car has only 7000km so it's barely new and i want to keep using the correct spec.

My only doubt is about using an HC oil like the Magnatec or a real full synt oil that MAYBE lacks in the "additive's topic"...

Originally Posted By: J611
I running repeatedly Addinol Premium 0530 FD in my mom's 2004 Fiesta with 1.3 rocam engine and in my 2006 Fiesta 1.6 16V with zero issues. Reputable German oil company. I've ran Castol Magnatec in both cars as well, had minor oil consumption towards the end of one year OCI here, but besides that couldn't tell a diffrence. I think you are fine with either one. The 2004 Fiesta is seriously short tripped all it's life with 75,000 Km on the clock, recently did the valve cover gasket and cam looked like new, no varnish or discoloration anywhere. Haven't tried the Addinol 5W-20 variant in my 2013 Fiesta with the 1.0 Ecoboost engine, still under dealer maintenance flatrate with Castrol oil beeing used. If I do not trade it in after 4 year flatrate is up, will switch to Addinol as well. Hope this is helpful for you to decide.

really helpful reply, thanks
smile.gif

Neither. I would go with Shell Helix Ultra Professional 5w30 AF. I would put Helix Ultra on pair with Castrol Edge, and above Magnatec.

I personally prefer big companies when it comes to lubricants. They tend to follow OEMs and ACEAs rules to the letter, small ones often play around.

Originally Posted By: Massy
hi guys, i'm an italian boy riding a Fiesta ST 1.6T 2015. The EU specs for this engine are 5W30 ACEA A5 with Ford 913D approval. The recommended oil is Castrol Magnatec by i'd like to try something different due to the fact that this oil is HC and not fully synt. I've discovered the Addinol Premium 0530 FD, PAO base, higher flash point, higher TBN, higher VI. What do you think about Addinol? Do you think that the additives of Castrol Magnatec could be better or that the quality of Addinol is higher?

10q

In that engine you can already use a Ford WSS-M2C948/B oil. Ford recommends Castrol Magnatec Professional E 5w-20.

My recommendation: Valvoline SynPower FE 5W-30 (913D) or Valvoline SynPower FE 5W-20 (948B)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chrisri
Neither. I would go with Shell Helix Ultra Professional 5w30 AF. I would put Helix Ultra on pair with Castrol Edge, and above Magnatec.

I personally prefer big companies when it comes to lubricants. They tend to follow OEMs and ACEAs rules to the letter, small ones often play around.

are u sure about Shell? like Castrol is an HC oil and compared to the Magnatec has a lower TBN, lower flash point, lower VI. Why do you think it's above the Magnatec?

talking about "big companies" i agree with u

Shell still does have lower pour point (-45) than Magnagec, whatever it's worth for. Earlier I've oversee that the Ford specific Ultra isn't necessarily GTL based oil, but possibly Shell's XHVI base oil (group III).

However Ultra 0w30,A5/B5 is a GTL oil which is a higher quality group III product but unfortunately it isn't Ford specific. As if Ford's spec isn't too demanding,and can be meet without use of PAO or GTL.

Sorry for misinforming you earlier, I was certain that all Ultras are GTL (maybe they are!) but the labelling tells different.

Use any A3/B4 full synthetic 5w30 , ACEA A5 is only for fuel economy , designed to thin as it's used.
No it is not designed to thin as its getting used.
I ve done 2 UOAs one with Mobil 1 0w30 A1 913B after 13000kms and one with Motul 5w30 A5 913D specific after 19000km used in my 2005 1.6 Fiesta and they were both right in spec viscocity and TBN wise with plenty of service life left.you can find them both posted in this forum. 913 spec is an enhanced A1/5 spec for both fuel economy and long intervals.manufacturer specs 20K km OCI with the (outdated today superseded by C and then D) 913B spec for my vehicle.

Last edited:
Which oil would lubricate the best and giv your engine the least wear?

If it was mine and out of warranty I would look to go thicker. Those 1.6 Ecoboosts don't seem to be the most reliable.

Castrol Edge A3/B4 0w40, M1 FS 0w40 or Shell Helix Ultra 5w40.

Back