New Ford edge 2.0t: which oiil

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we got a new Edge with the 2.0t in it. The manual recommends 5w30 for it. Any ideas what works with the turbo etc or just in general for these engines? No towing lol just normal driving to work everyday. When searching I kept getting Castrol Edge results, so I thought Id ask.

Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
So we got a new Edge with the 2.0t in it. The manual recommends 5w30 for it. Any ideas what works with the turbo etc or just in general for these engines? No towing lol just normal driving to work everyday. When searching I kept getting Castrol Edge results, so I thought Id ask.

Full Synthetic: Mobil1, Castrol, Pennzoil, Valvoline...
Perosnally, I would run Euro 5W30 or 0W30 oils in it since they are on heavy side of W30 oils.
AutoZone has Castrol 0W30 sometimes on sale.

If it's under warranty read the terms as you will probably need to use a fully approved oil from Motorcraft.
If not just use the oil finder or guide page of a major brand engine oil company like Castrol, Mobil, Shell group (Inc Penn in particular) or Liqui Moly. Then cross check the required API cert with the info in your owners manual.
There are lots of different versions of Edge and Mobil 1, so make sure if the guide says use a special professional one, that you don't get the wrong oil.

Whats Euro 5w30? I know of the Castrol but does that come in 5w30?

Most 5W30 oils in North America are API SN and ILSAC GF-5, typical values would be roughly KV100 = ~10.5 cSt and HTHS = ~ 3.0 cP. Thin end of the 30 grade.

Many European grade oils are ACEA A3/B4, typical values are roughly KV100= ~ 12 cSt and HTHS = ~ 3.5 cP. Thick end of the thirty grade.

To be honest, most Ford oil specs seem to be based on the "energy conserving" Euro ACEA A5/B5 spec, which is similar to the ILSAC stuff, but with more rigorous testing.

So I would go a full synthetic 5W30 that was rated A5. Pennzoil Platinum is a good example.

Also at the thin end, another good standard to look for is ACEA A1/B1 oil (almost as good as A5). Plus Dexos1 is another good standard at the thin end. A lot of ILSAC full synthetic oils in North America, such as M1 5W30 and Edge 5W30 are both Dexos1 and A1/B1.

Having said all that, nothing wrong with a A3/B4 oil, I'm using one myself right now. They just sound a little harder to find in North America, plus you said " just normal driving to work everyday", so I'm sure you will be fine with either A3 (thicker) or A5 (thinner).

Just make sure the owners manual doesn't require s special spec like Ford WSS-something. If you need a Ford spec, then better get it. Most good oils carry a multitude of specs.

Last edited:
Low Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI) is a big concern in some DI turbo engines...my car was recalled for this issue.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4025415/LSPI:_A_KNOCK_ON_THE_NEWEST_EN#Post4025415

There is some evidence that oils with a low calcium content can help prevent LSPI in DIT engines, so I've been running Mobil 1 oils in which some of the calcium detergent is replaced by ones based on magnesium.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

The Castrol Edge in that test was also low in calcium, but I have heard here that it has been reformulated since 2013 with a higher dose...never looked into it too carefully since I have been happy with M1 products (5W30 EP and ESP along with the one shown in the table).

With that all said, I will also say that I haven't heard of LSPI issues in the Ford Ecoboosts...maybe it's not a concern for you, but I thought I could still share what I have found while trying to learn about protecting my DIT engine.

Last edited:
When in doubt...you can't go wrong with Mobil 1 5w30.

Nice vehicle. Does the 2.0T have plenty of power in the Edge?

Originally Posted By: pbm
When in doubt...you can't go wrong with Mobil 1 5w30.

Nice vehicle. Does the 2.0T have plenty of power in the Edge?

My parents have a 13 Escape with the less powerful version of this engine, but it's a few hundred pounds lighter. It's more than adequate. I would almost say fun. I have accidentally merged at wayyyyyyy above the posted speed limit just by being used to my vehicles.

Thanks guys the power is kind of crazy for the smaller engine. But still getting around 26-30mpg.

I'll check into the manual as it's under warranty with an extended for 100k or 6-7 year warranty.. not sure

Read the manual it will give the specs that Ford recommends for the oil to use.

Buy an oil that meets or exceeds the specs.

Oil with WSS-M2C929-A Ford listed on label, such as:

Mobil-1 5W-30
Mobil-1 "Truck and SUV" 5W-30
Mobil-1 "Extended Performance" 5W-30
Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic 5W-30
Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-30
Pennzoil Gold Synthetic Blend 5W-30
Pennzoil Conventional 5W-30
Valvoline Premium Conventional 5W-30
Valvoline DuraBlend Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30
Valvoline SynPower® Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30
Castrol Edge 5W30
Castrol Edge with Syntec Power Technology 5W30

Originally Posted By: SR5

Most 5W30 oils in North America are API SN and ILSAC GF-5, typical values would be roughly KV100 = ~10.5 cSt and HTHS = ~ 3.0 cP. Thin end of the 30 grade.

Many European grade oils are ACEA A3/B4, typical values are roughly KV100= ~ 12 cSt and HTHS = ~ 3.5 cP. Thick end of the thirty grade.

To be honest, most Ford oil specs seem to be based on the "energy conserving" Euro ACEA A5/B5 spec, which is similar to the ILSAC stuff, but with more rigorous testing.

So I would go a full synthetic 5W30 that was rated A5. Pennzoil Platinum is a good example.

Also at the thin end, another good standard to look for is ACEA A1/B1 oil (almost as good as A5). Plus Dexos1 is another good standard at the thin end. A lot of ILSAC full synthetic oils in North America, such as M1 5W30 and Edge 5W30 are both Dexos1 and A1/B1.

Having said all that, nothing wrong with a A3/B4 oil, I'm using one myself right now. They just sound a little harder to find in North America, plus you said " just normal driving to work everyday", so I'm sure you will be fine with either A3 (thicker) or A5 (thinner).

Just make sure the owners manual doesn't require s special spec like Ford WSS-something. If you need a Ford spec, then better get it. Most good oils carry a multitude of specs.

Ford specification WSS-M2C946-A

Originally Posted By: dexos
Originally Posted By: SR5

Ford specification WSS-M2C946-A

There's a bunch of oils that meet Ford's spec, too. Everything from conventional oil - Pennzoil at one point - to M1 synthetic.

Call Ford, the number is in the owners manual . They will give you the proper answer and then repost what Fords rep said.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Oil with WSS-M2C929-A Ford listed on label, such as:

Mobil-1 5W-30
Mobil-1 "Truck and SUV" 5W-30
Mobil-1 "Extended Performance" 5W-30
Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic 5W-30
Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-30
Pennzoil Gold Synthetic Blend 5W-30
Pennzoil Conventional 5W-30
Valvoline Premium Conventional 5W-30
Valvoline DuraBlend Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30
Valvoline SynPower® Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30
Castrol Edge 5W30
Castrol Edge with Syntec Power Technology 5W30

LOL. I remember when VW told people in 90's: yeah go ahead, use any kind of oil for 1.8T engine.
They are still paying money for sludge issue to customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back