Bike mileage per year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally took note of the odometer on my general-purpose mountain bike when I put it back on the road in April. I've just passed 2000 km for the year, and might hit 2500 before I put it away for the winter. I don't have a computer on the fat bike, but figure I did about 1000 km last winter (mid-November through March). Anyway, that means I'm riding 3000 - 3500 km per year. At least half that is commuting. I think it was a lot higher 30 years ago, but so it goes.

Small stuff compared to many of you!

We've done somewhere just over 1,200 miles this year; we'll probably end up around 1,500 by the time we stop riding for the winter. Not as much as we used to do, but we still try to do around 40-50 miles a week. We only ride for recreation and exercise.

Not more than a few hundred per year. We do off road mountain biking, lots of hills and curves to slow you down.

I'm a commuter so don't have alot but enough! Keeps the weight off and dropped my cholesterol almost 60 points! Started back in 2009 and 2010 but only put a couple hundred on a junk bike. Gotten better with the Specialized and Trek in the stable. I'd rather ride than drive to work any day. I have fenders and studded tires for the Specialized. All weather all the time.. snow, storms you name it. Quite fun actually, people don't know if I'm awesome or stupid. Probably both!

2010 - 237
2014 - 852.29 on a old Huffy!
2015 - 2082.5
2016 .. I should be around 2200. Was shooting for over 3000 miles but had a low energy issue which finally figured it out!

All mileage is relative. It is a question of balancing work, family, home and cycling to keep a happy balance. If I get 1500-2000 miles in in a year, it starts to stress the other things in my life. My son can manage 8000 to 10,000 mi. in a year- his only responsibility is college.

Keep riding !

I wish I had kept track, but then again, some years I ride, some I don't.

Bought a new odometer at the begining of summer, and it's just about to 1,300 miles. I have high hopes of topping 1,500 for the year, before winter forces me to quit. Maybe next year I'll pass 2k--just realized that it isn't that hard to bike at lunchtime at work, and in the spring/fall seasons it may the trick to extend my riding season (warmest part of the day and lots of sunlight).

Not more than 3-5 kilometers in a day, and around 1200-1500 kilometers per year! Mainly exercise and recreation purposes.

Now at about 2340 km for the year on my 3-season bike. The weather's been great - still have an outside chance of hitting 2500 before the snow flies and I switch over to the fat bike.

Thanks all for your responses - looks like I'm riding a fairly average amount.

Just broke 7,000 miles so far this year. All hardcore, fast road riding, lots of climbing. I'm 63 now. I used to ride even more when I was younger! Riding puts me in a zen. I never have a SINGLE negative thought when I'm out riding. It's my escape.

Scott

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Just broke 7,000 miles so far this year. All hardcore, fast road riding, lots of climbing. I'm 63 now. I used to ride even more when I was younger! Riding puts me in a zen. I never have a SINGLE negative thought when I'm out riding. It's my escape.

Scott
Just ... wow! That's great. I'm too close to work to rack up big miles like that.

Originally Posted By: Number_35
Originally Posted By: SLO_Town

Scott
Just ... wow! That's great. I'm too close to work to rack up big miles like that.

I used to ride even more when I was still working, but now I'm retired. I ride 4 or 5 days a week now - always on perfect California Wine Country back roads - usually doing 60 to 70 miles per ride. Lots of climbing. On any of my routes, it averages about 100' vertical per mile, many sections 15% +/-. In other words I'll climb ~7,000 feet per 70 mile ride.

Any cyclist would ride a lot where I live. I'm very fortunate.

Edit: Once again, the good cycling does for my head makes the time worth it.

Scott

Last edited:
Due to our abnormally warm November I hit 2561 km on the old Rocky Mountain before parking it last week for the winter. I've had the Pugsley out for just over a week now and have put about 98 km on it. It's a great workout.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Not more than a few hundred per year. We do off road mountain biking, lots of hills and curves to slow you down.

In the same boat here. I live in the Appalachians, so getting many miles may be tough when off-roading.

Originally Posted By: SLO_
I never have a SINGLE negative thought when I'm out riding. It's my escape.

Scott

Not even when a dog is chasing you?
07.gif

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: SLO_
I never have a SINGLE negative thought when I'm out riding. It's my escape.

Scott

Not even when a dog is chasing you?
07.gif

I just think 'Faster'- I think that's positive.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Number_35
Due to our abnormally warm November I hit 2561 km on the old Rocky Mountain before parking it last week for the winter. I've had the Pugsley out for just over a week now and have put about 98 km on it. It's a great workout.
Not quite a year later and hit by an early onset to winter, I've parked my 3-season mountain bike w/ just under 2300 km accumulated between April and October. The studded tires are on the Pugsley, so I've been OK on the icy patches for the last few days.

Not too many road miles anymore, so it doesn't add up fast. We do some trails with the kids and we like the skate park, but 3 hours there is maybe 10 miles for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back