Chain Lube Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
I thought Maxima Wax was a good idea at first... IME it just builds a waxy brown coating on the outside and its more difficult to clean off. Not a fan. Honestly, I see guys do no maintenance and their chains last just fine, shorter yes, but no hassles. I just find a middle ground between none - overkill.

Use kerosene ... works great to clean off chain wax or any other chain lube. Most cycle service manuals say to use kerosene because it works well and is o-ring safe. I just soak a rag and wipe the outside of the chain down, then re-lube after the chain drys.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I thought Maxima Wax was a good idea at first... IME it just builds a waxy brown coating on the outside and its more difficult to clean off. Not a fan. Honestly, I see guys do no maintenance and their chains last just fine, shorter yes, but no hassles. I just find a middle ground between none - overkill.

Use kerosene ... works great to clean off chain wax or any other chain lube. Most cycle service manuals say to use kerosene because it works well and is o-ring safe. I just soak a rag and wipe the outside of the chain down, then re-lube after the chain drys.

That's mostly what WD-40 is.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I wonder if kerosene helps/hurts the chain lube from bonding to the chain.

I've been using Kerosene to clean Motorcycle chains since the 70's. After the chain is clean I use clean rags to dry the chain, before applying chain lube.

Of course if you apply chain lube to a chain that is wet with Kerosene, the lube isn't going to stick.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

I've been using Kerosene to clean Motorcycle chains since the 70's. After the chain is clean I use clean rags to dry the chain, before applying chain lube.

Of course if you apply chain lube to a chain that is wet with Kerosene, the lube isn't going to stick.

Yep, the kerosene will completely dry. I works very well in my experience.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

That's mostly what WD-40 is.

I have also use WD-40 to cut the old lube and clean the chain before re-lubing. But using kerosene will leave the chain bone dry after drying, and not leave a slick film like WD-40 will. WD-40 does work OK however.

In a pinch, diesel fuel works well too. Kerosene is not easily available in my area in any economical form. I am not paying 5 bucks for a quart of the stuff.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
In a pinch, diesel fuel works well too. Kerosene is not easily available in my area in any economical form. I am not paying 5 bucks for a quart of the stuff.

You can get a gallon of kerosene at Walmart for ~$8.

It absolutely does, chain lube wont adhere well after any kind of petroleum solvent application, wd40 especially.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mackelroy

It absolutely does, chain lube wont adhere well after any kind of petroleum solvent application, wd40 especially.

I've used WD-40 and kerosene to remove old lube or old chain wax. The kerosene will dry completely bone dry if you wipe the chain down with a clean rag after cleaning - that's why I like kerosene better. But in both cases, applying new chain wax after cleaning the chain had no issues with it bonding to the chain.

I use Motopro chain lube from cycle gear. Got tired of the build-up of waxes and now use wet lubes. I clean with kerosene once every few months and make sure the chain is dry before I apply lube. After I lube, I make sure to wipe off all the excess. When I lube in between cleanings(about every 500 miles +/-) I apply lube until it drips profusely, and then wipe off the excess. You cant wipe the chain off too much because the lube you see is not what actually does any of the work, it just attracts the dirt. My chain is at 29k+ miles, and it still has life left in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back