Nitro v. Blizzaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for a new set. Looks like this will be my choice. Any opinions?

The Blizzaks were phenomenal in their grip, but I thought that they were pretty deteriorated by the third season.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer

The Blizzaks were phenomenal in their grip, but I thought that they were pretty deteriorated by the third season.

Bcs they are snow tire and you drive in NM which has bit higher temperature in winters then for what Blizzak is designed.
Get Michelin Xi3 if you drive car or Xi2 if you drive SUV.
I have DM-V2 blizzaks on BMW and WS-70 on Tiguan. I do not expect from them more then 20K, and I am OK with it. It is part of the deal.

Nitto is a brand.
Blizzak is winter tire line from Bridgestone.

What are you comparing?
What do you need?

Krzyś

What do you need from your winter tires?
Put ice, snow, wet, dry, noise in order of importance.
What vehicle?
What is the weather like in NM in winter?

Krzys

Originally Posted By: krzyss
What do you need from your winter tires?
Put ice, snow, wet, dry, noise in order of importance.
What vehicle?
What is the weather like in NM in winter?

Krzys

Weather in NM, unless going to ski is not really good for hard core snow's. Michelin Xi are probably best bet there.

I haven't seen any reviews of Nitto tires. As said above, what do you need from your winter tires? Different brands and different models offer different compromises. Blizzak is one of the best for snow & ice traction, and one of the shortest tread life. Others have better tread life and less traction. Your choice. Michelin is also a great choice, both probably cost more than Nitto.

Get the Nittos and let us know how they perform in dry, wet, and slick conditions.

Nitro v. Blizzaks?

I'll take Nitro every time.
grin.gif

Southern Rockies. Paved roads, mostly concerned about ice rather than snow. Tend to have lingering winters here, with occasional icy roads into mid April.So, tires are on the car from December to mid April.

Michelin's extra cost would cancel out longevity advantage.

Southern Rockies. Paved roads, mostly concerned about ice rather than snow. Tend to have lingering winters here, with occasional icy roads into mid April.So, tires are on the car from December to mid April.

Michelin's extra cost would cancel out longevity advantage.

They will not cancel longevity because:
1. Nitto is DEFINIATELY NOT better then Michelin or Bridgestone.
2. Michelin will feel more like A/S tire then Bridgestone
3. They have small, but still have, advantage over Bridgestone on ice.
4. Depending what size of tires you need, sometimes Bridgestone are more expensive then Michelin
5. Michelin ave tread 100% winter made. Bridgestone tread blocks are designed to turn into A/S tire after 50% of tread is used.

Bottom line, Michelin will feel more composed on road, dry road etc. NM is due for warmer winter since El Nino is gone. So yes, you might pay bit more, but Michelin will feel much better in NM then Bridgestone Nokian, Continental etc.
I tell people here in CO, if you do not ski often, stick to Michelin. Now, if you love to ski during Blizzard like I do, then that is different story.

Last edited:

That's because you wore through their first half of the tread which has their multicell tube compound.

Nitto's are very limited in their size/product lineup. But, as a brand of Toyo tires, they also get the Microbit technology and the bamboo charcoal technology

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
Michelin Alpin PA3 performed very well for my mother on the Fusion. She got 2 1/2 winters on one set and drives about 40K a year.

Yeah Pilot Alpin lasts long, but winter performance is closer to AS tire then true winter tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back