How many miles can you go on an oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Spyder7
Originally Posted By: yaris0128
I dont care how many miles are on my filter. New oil gets a new filter. Its not worth saving a few bucks, and only a FEW bucks.

That's purely a matter of opinion, and its something entirely subjective. Nothing wrong with doing that as that's the way its been done for most of history. New technology and research suggests that its no more necessary than the 3k or 3 month OCI, but many stick to that still too.

Whatever works for you.

-Spyder

It's NOT subjective or a matter of opinion, it is stated in the owner's manual. Follow the OLM and the manual and all will be well.

I dont care how many miles are on my filter. New oil gets a new filter. Its not worth saving a few bucks, and only a FEW bucks.

You're assuming people reuse a filter only to save money. That's never been the reasoning for why I've re-used filters. There are several reasons I re-use a filter, and saving money is pretty low down on the list.

Originally Posted By: JOD

You're assuming people reuse a filter only to save money. That's never been the reasoning for why I've re-used filters. There are several reasons I re-use a filter, and saving money is pretty low down on the list.

And your reasons are??

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Originally Posted By: Spyder7

That's purely a matter of opinion, and its something entirely subjective. Nothing wrong with doing that as that's the way its been done for most of history. New technology and research suggests that its no more necessary than the 3k or 3 month OCI, but many stick to that still too.

Whatever works for you.

-Spyder

It's NOT subjective or a matter of opinion, it is stated in the owner's manual. Follow the OLM and the manual and all will be well.

I disagree. Honda states in some of their owner manuals that the filter can be changed every other OC - would someone changing it every OCI be doing any harm? I doubt it.

Similarly, I know my manual states when to change the oil, but I don't think it states when to change the filer - and if it does, the recommendation would be based on the OEM filter.

Given the prevalence of aftermarket filters, and the wide variation among them in terms of the mileage they are typically good for, the owner's manual is useless here - unless one is sticking to OEM filters. As soon as you go aftermarket, the rules change.

This is just common sense isn't it? If I opt for a $3 (Cdn) Napa Silver, would it make sense to put it on the same filter change schedule as an M1 EP (or any other long distance filter)? I think not.

If it gives you comfort to change the oil and filter at the same time, or you do so out of convenience, or whatever, then go ahead and do so. Nothing wrong with it.

Given the wide variety of aftermarket filters, the differences in design and construction among them, and the fact that its impossible for the OEM to spec out these variations in an owner's manual, it amounts to nothing more than a red herring as far as this goes.

I pick my oil and when chosen, a rough OCI is decided upon; my filters are bought separately, and a rough mileage is also chosen there as well. Rarely do the 2 numbers coincide. If the oil needs to be changed, and the filter has lots of life left in it, then only the oil gets changed; if the pre-determined mileage on the filter is up while the oil is still fairly fresh, then only the filter gets changed. If both are close enough for convenience to be decisive, I'll do them both.

This thinking that the oil and filter have to be changed together is out-dated, and a myth that, like the 3k or 3 month oci, persists simply because that's the way it was always done in the past. But in the past, after market offerings were [censored], limited, and so was the oil so it made sense then to do them both at the same time since 3k or 3 months was about all they were good for.

Those days are long gone, and I, for one, refuse to be bound by obsolete thinking. Anyone who gets the warm fuzzies from subscribing to this out-dated myth, or does it merely out of convenience, is free to continue to do so; whatever works for you, each to their own, etc. But an owner's manual that assumes certain facts that are not necessarily in evidence (like use of an OEM filter, which I don't use), and has to, by nature, cater to the lowest common denominator (meaning the uninformed), carries little to no weigh as far as this subject goes.

-Spyder

Much adieu about nuthin',boys. I'm running a new M1 filter and 4.6 quarts of M1 EP 5-20 and changing it every Fall and Spring. Repeat after me,"My car is an asset:My oil is an expense". "My car is an asset:MY oil is an expense". Really,nuthin' bad happens if you change your oil and filter "too soon".

I agree: no harm in changing early. Were my oil and filter changed with a matched M1 EP oil and filter I'd do them both in one shot and be done with it. My oil stash, however, has everything from QS GB, to PP, to Syntec, to the new GF-5 PYB.

There's no one fit OCI to cover them all: I'm not going to run QS GB, as good as it is, for the same OCI that I'll use PP for; yet the same filter may be used for each, since there's not that many choices here to pick from as far as filters go. I may have decided that QS GB will be used for 5k; and use an M1 EP filter with it. If that happens, the filter will be re-used as I'm not tossing it after 5k.

I'm also not going to waste the time and gas to go hunting for a 5k filter; whatever's on the shelf is what gets used with whichever oil goes on, and both are changed only if the life of both are close enough that the convenience factor outweighs whatever life is left in one or the other to justify doing them separately.

Each to their own. As FZ1 said: much ado about nothing. Reusing a good filter is not going to do any harm to, or grenade, an engine.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Originally Posted By: JOD

And your reasons are??

1. better filtration

2. less waste

3. convenience (on some cars)

I don't think changing a filter too early is going to "do any harm", but I'd rather take advantage of the improved filtration offered by a filter which has been in use for a while.

If you choose to re-use a filter, do you take it off and let it drain before putting it back on or just drain whatever is in the pan?

Personally I don't remove and drain the filter when I reuse it. The difference with and without is 200 ml, which sounds about right (in a 3.8 or 3.9L sump - I've been going so much from metric to Imperial lately that I can't recall which it is offhand) for the relatively small filter this car uses.

This amount is negligible and is not going to affect wear or the subsequent OCI. As JOD pointed out, a filter with some use on it will filter better than a brand new filter.

This practice may not be acceptable to the purists, but there is nothing inherently wrong with it so long as reasonable intervals are kept to for both the oil and filter (whether changed together or independently).

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: impala
If you choose to re-use a filter, do you take it off and let it drain before putting it back on or just drain whatever is in the pan?

I've done both. 6-8 oz is about what stays in the filter, including what comes out when you open the ADBV. I think you're better off leaving it on to protect the integrity of the base gasket seal, though personally I've never had one leak.

All in all, the 6 oz. of oil seems to be more than offset by the better filtration, at least based on the UOA's of folks who've used a filter consecutively.

I also think the quality of the base gasket is a factor. The Ford Racing filter I'm using now seems to be made of a harder material (some sort of coated silicone) and it looks more suitable for re-use, so I'll probably pull it off, drain it, and re-install just to see how it holds up.

How many miles can you run on a premium filter, utilizing a good synthetic, before it should be changed out? Are we talking 10,000 - 15,000 miles or so on a quality filter?

Granted no two applications are identical...

Fram is only used as a benchmark here:

Basic filters like the Fram Orange Can: About 5,000 miles. 7500 in a pinch.

Better filters like the Fram Tough Guard or Napa filters will go 10,000.

Various extended performance types, 16,000 or better. For instance the best filters from Wix or Mobil.

Filters larger than called for in the manual can be "stretched." For instance, my car calls for the same size as a Fram PH3614. A PH8A will fit, and I would not hesitate to run an Orange Can in that designation for 8000 miles.

I once heard of this guy who followed the company's recommend miles - but was voted off BITOG Island ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
I once heard of this guy who followed the company's recommend miles - but was voted off BITOG Island ...

Was it Gillian?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: slalom44
Admittedly I also use a bypass filter but I really don't think that makes much of a difference.

Obvious question: Why do it then?

I have used a Trasko filter on my Highlander many times for 10,000 mile OCIs. That has a wire mesh full-flow media, and when I clean it out, there is hardly anything in it.

Quite fancy one of them, but that'd concern me, since it might suggest that it isn't doing anything.

IIRC correctly they claim 8-10 microns for the mesh.

Do you really think your engine isn't generating any particulates above 10 microns in 10 thousand miles?

It seems more likely that the 10 micron spec is a misrepresentation. This wouldn't necessarily be too serious, since its got the "toilet roll style" paper filter as backup, but it does undermine credibility a bit.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Admittedly I also use a bypass filter but I really don't think that makes much of a difference.

Obvious question: Why do it then?

Obvious but daft. Thinking on't, makes sense that a bypass filter might not make much difference to the lifespan of the full-flow filter if the bypass is mostly catching fines that the full-flow doesn't catch.

Re the Trasko, thinking about that a bit more too, maybe I don't fancy one after all. They seem to be claiming full-flow filtration from the stainless steel screen 2-4 times finer than a standard filter, but with a lot less area, and no depth-filtration effect.

Doesn't seem to compute.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: 4WD

Was it Gillian?
grin.gif

This makes me think of the SCTV sketch where the rest of the castaways finally got tired of Gilligan screwing up their potential rescues and killed him.
As the Skipper walked away from Gilligan's corpse splayed out in the sand, he said, "I hope the crabs eat you, little buddy!!"

I couldn't stop chuckling at school for days after watching that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back