Goodman air handler blower speeds ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Goodman HVAC blower came from the factory with the black wire for Hi fan speed (cool) and the blue wire for the next lower (Med. Hi fan speed) for the Hi-Heat - as pictured below:

I have found that I like the A/C blower to run a bit lower speed so I have removed the black lead and installed the blue lead over to the "cool" terminal. That has been working fine for the summer but I have to switch the blue wire back and forth now when the seasons change.

My question is can I install a jumper or "Y" split b/t these two terminals so that the blue wire is connected to both terminals at the same time - all the time? Then whenever the unit calls for either hi-heat or A/C, it will run at the same fan speed and therefore be ready to go without having to make a manual switch of the blue wire b/t these terminals?

My guess (hope) is that there would be no backfeed of current going into the other terminal after jumping them that could do damage to the circuit board? The fan blower is the newer D/C motor not the old style blowers that where in use for generations.

(BTW, I called Goodman Corp for tech support and they have some lady answering that doesn't know the difference b/t a screwdriver and wrench. She then said call your installer and he isn't for sure either.)

Last edited:
you should have no issue running a jumper to both terminals. should be no back feed as the one terminal will be off when switched to either heat or cool.

Last edited:
also you should have more speed pins then what you have shown. i run my settings at A/C med /high, and heat at med. . okay i took a quick peek at your wiring diagram this is a two stage furnace if i'm not mistaken ??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hemitom
also you should have more speed pins then what you have shown. i run my settings at A/C med /high, and heat at med. . okay i took a quick peek at your wiring diagram this is a two stage furnace if i'm not mistaken ??

You are correct, it is a two stage for the heat. Thanks for your comments.

I enjoy the comfort level of the two stage furnace but I can't tell it saves any on the overall gas bill. I guess that is not surprising considering a BTU is a BTU so one has to get the required number of BTU's to heat a home regardless of the number of burners or fan speed.

No noticeable savings but should be more comfortable heat wise
with the furnace running on low longer keeping a tighter temp swing. These furnaces work much better with a compatible thermostat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back