Pre-painted fender 2012 Elantra GLS silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was the victim of a hit and run the other morning and the only apparent damage is to my left front fender. The car handles fine so I may not use my insurance coverage for this. I was cut off by a pick up at 5:30 last Friday morning. I was in the right lane and the guy was in the left lane and went to pass a car in front of him on the right and his right rear tire caught my wheel and fender. The wheel was covered in rubber, as was the fender, but the fender is crushed in somewhat. The guy actually stopped a bit ahead of me, got out and looked at his truck, and then drove off. It was dark and he was too far off for me to get much on the truck.

Anyone have any online painted body part places? My car has 208K miles on it and is a highway warrior so I'm not devastated but disappointed in my fellow citizen.

I bought an ebay pre-painted fender years ago for my Traverse. Looked and matched up well. It's been to long for me to find the actual vendor though.

It was cheap enough to take the chance IMO.

It may be a hit and miss deal with pre painted personally I wouldn't go that route. There may be multiple shade options for the paint and as someone pointed out silver can be a little problematic anyway and usually requires blending to match.
The other issue is if its not OE painted you have no idea what quality of paint they used, being a Hyundai it doesn't have high end paint but it does have a reasonable base clear job and should be painted with the same to insure it "wears" ike the original not fade out in a year.

My advise would be to either get a clean used one or buy an OE fender, paint the edges and inside myself with a custom mixed rattle can mix from an autobody supplier, prep and mount it and let a painter spray it. You can save a lot doing it this way.

49.gif

On a 205K mi Elantra highway warrior in the rust belt, I'd go for the internet pre-painted one if the price is right. Quick and easy.

I haven't used aftermarket pre-painted parts before, but I did put a Mitsubishi OEM pre-painted bumper cover on a Montero Sport that was a few years old at the time and it looked fine. The bumper cover was probably a few years old too, but had been stored inside in its packaging.

Silver can be tough to match. Often many variations even in the same paint code.
A pro bodyshop would blend it to the surrounding panels.
If its a road warrior one of the pre painted ones may be "close enough".

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
On a 205K mi Elantra highway warrior in the rust belt, I'd go for the internet pre-painted one if the price is right. Quick and easy.

I haven't used aftermarket pre-painted parts before, but I did put a Mitsubishi OEM pre-painted bumper cover on a Montero Sport that was a few years old at the time and it looked fine. The bumper cover was probably a few years old too, but had been stored inside in its packaging.

Huge difference between OE painted and ebay sellers of non OE parts painted with god knows what, but your right if its a beater it doesn't really matter but I would hope a 4 yr old hasn't reached that status yet, its probably still under rust through warranty.

How much is a pre-painted fender for this application? I'd hate to go mis-matched on a newer vehicle like this. Just as an example, when we needed to replace the same fender on our 2008 Honda Odyssey, a new fender from the body shop was ~$80. Prep, paint and install was another $300.

Last edited:
After seeing the damage, if it were my car with 208k, I'd buff the rubber transfer off of it and leave it be. A pre-painted silver fender that isn't OEM is more likely to be noticeable than a few soft dents with the factory paint.

After checking prices, if I can't find a nice boneyard fender, I think I'll go thru my insurance company if I replace it. My deductible is $250. I opened a preliminary claim. I can get an estimate thru Amica and then they will tell me if it will increase my premium. I've never had a claim with them in about 8 years, if that goes into the calculation. I guess companies are not governed strictly to follow the same rules. I also want to find out from them if I can wait until after winter to go thru them for this.

It would be a comprehensive claim, therefore not your fault. Which means they can't raise your insurance rates.

Originally Posted By: schuylkill
After checking prices, if I can't find a nice boneyard fender, I think I'll go thru my insurance company if I replace it. My deductible is $250. I opened a preliminary claim. I can get an estimate thru Amica and then they will tell me if it will increase my premium. I've never had a claim with them in about 8 years, if that goes into the calculation. I guess companies are not governed strictly to follow the same rules. I also want to find out from them if I can wait until after winter to go thru them for this.

first, your ride looks really nice for the miles.
second because of # of miles, your insurance may not be your partner. so it may hit you next year with an increase.
i would try to find a body shop in an industrial zone (they usually work with limos and other custom work) and work privately with them. it's the best chance of them hitting/matching/blending the color
i am lucky enough to have a shop like that right next door to work (20+ limos + hi-end cars at any time in their parking lot). from time to time they work for the hot-rod shop next-next door....

...listen to Trav. he really knows what he's talking about!

The front lower edge of the fender is missing paint. The wheel seems to be fine. My car is lowered. By the way, I really like the Bridgestone Ecopia tires I'm running. They're at 82K and are holding up really well. They have soft walls so are not for the performance enthusiast but for my purposes they are excellent.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
It would be a comprehensive claim, therefore not your fault. Which means they can't raise your insurance rates.

This would be a collison claim and may impact his rates.

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
After seeing the damage, if it were my car with 208k, I'd buff the rubber transfer off of it and leave it be. A pre-painted silver fender that isn't OEM is more likely to be noticeable than a few soft dents with the factory paint.

That's what I'd do.

I would think buffing it out and getting a paintless dent removal place to work that metal would get you pretty close and no paint matching as with a new fender. Problem is PDR may run as much as $100 on that fender and not be perfect when done but maybe good enough.

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
After seeing the damage, if it were my car with 208k, I'd buff the rubber transfer off of it and leave it be.

I agree. That damage will be barely noticeable once the scuff marks are removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back