Used oil analisys on Renault Megane II Break 1.5 D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your report looks good. I heard plenty of bashing for these little is Renaults, but our just made it to a 400k on 20k OCI. All original.

Hi there.

Again, i've requested a 4th engine used oil anaisys and I need some help to interpretate it based in the topic domain.

How's the air filter?
I'd reduce the OCI but that's just me maybe
wink.gif
These engines have tiny oil filters...
I thought 5W40 was the recommended oil, but Renault kept changing recommendations on these...anyway, I'd try a xW40 next time if you can, it did better on Elf 5W40.

Anyway, lead and copper values are steady.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
How's the air filter?
I'd reduce the OCI but that's just me maybe
wink.gif
These engines have tiny oil filters...
I thought 5W40 was the recommended oil, but Renault kept changing recommendations on these...anyway, I'd try a xW40 next time if you can, it did better on Elf 5W40.

Anyway, lead and copper values are steady.

Thanks Popsy.
I used to do 10000 km OCI, this time i forgot it.
Renault recommend 5W30, i'm not sure to change it to 5W40.

Weren't the results with 5W40 better?

Sorry, i only find it now, the oil type on the report is wrong, it should be Elf Evolution 900 SXR 5W40.

Ok, so the oil didn't thicken then. I'll still reduce the OCI, and try another oil maybe?

Can you be more specific about the thicken?

What oil do you recommend?

Thanks.

According to the report, the viscosity of the oil was 13cSt @100°C, which is on spot for a grade 40.

Were the oil some 5W30 like I originally thought, then it meant some thickening (due to oxidation, soot contamination or other factors), which is usually a sign of too long an OCI, or oil too hot, etc.

Can you get some Shell Helix Ultra 5W40? Assuming your car doesn't have a DPF (don't remember)

According to the report, the viscosity of the oil was 13cSt @100°C, which is on spot for a grade 40.

Were the oil some 5W30 like I originally thought, then it meant some thickening (due to oxidation, soot contamination or other factors), which is usually a sign of too long an OCI, or oil too hot, etc.

Can you get some Shell Helix Ultra 5W40? Assuming your car doesn't have a DPF (don't remember)

Hi.

Don't have DPF.

Originally Posted By: JorgeMartins
Hi there.

Again, i've requested a 4th engine used oil anaisys and I need some help to interpretate it based in the topic domain.

The Potassium figure is interesting, although if it is from anti freeze the level is not high enough to be an issue at present.

The OCI was too long and resulted in the oil thickening, also the insolubles figures is near the limit, so I would reduce the OCI to 10K.

No real harm done, but 14K does seem too long!

Too thick an oil can slow down oil flow around the top end, so I'm not surprised the Al figure is a tad high.

Last edited:
Hi,

all your tested oils have add packs based mainly on Ca, P and Zn
There are some European mid-saps oils having strong dose of Boron, Moly or Magensium, maybe it's worth to try them if your engine goes better.

Elf Solaris FE 5W-30 - holding Renault 0720 approval, lot of Moly, some Boron and less Calcium
Mobil ESP 5w30 - high Boron, some Moly, less Calcium
Petronas Syntium 5000 RN 5W-30 - high Magnesium, less Calcium

based on analysis:
http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/18416-5w-30-svezhie/

I'd stick to at least mid-saps oils not because of FAP, which in your case is missing, but rather to avoid deposits in the engine and turbo

Bom dia, vizinho.
smile.gif

What I have heard about catastrophic engine failure in K9K is that some connecting rods' shells (capas de biela, penso que se chaman en português) lack of flap that inmovilize them. So, that shells roll and block the oil leads. Without lubrication, wear rate rockets, shells are destroyed and then the connecting rod, destroying the engine.

What I can't understand is Renault isn't able to determine what engines are affected. Renauld has (or should have) notice of what part has been used in which engine. It would be as easy as composing a list of engines with faulty shells and replace it.

In fact, I don't know even what incarnations of K9K are affected (o meu sogro tem o dci 68CV, andiven a pescudar e penso que ese motor não está afectado). Anyway, I think doing UOAs is an smart idea. As soon as you see copper and/or lead peaks in an analysis, change the shells ASAP. You can do an UOA each 2 OCI's (but I'm not sure how fast shells destroy once the problem appears).

Oil viscosity: 5W30 seems better for your bearing and 5W40 for cams and piston rings. With both, Iron is a little bit high. I recomend you don't go further of 10.000 km with OCIs.

BTW, several K9K have a big problem with fuel pump make by Delphi. Search for steel savings into the fuel filter and reduce interval to 30.000km maximum. Do some research if your car has that awful Delfi pump (Bosch VE doesn't have any problem).

Sugiro unha Super Bock preta como agradecimento.
laugh.gif
11.gif

Até logo!

If you spin a bearing and block the oil passage, failure is a matter of minutes... starts with knocking, but this possibly goes unheard on a diesel, and ends with a rod through the block probably all in the same drive...

If you're right, then, UOA is useless to prevent it.
frown.gif

I'm not sure that in K9K engines it's possible to change shells under de car, demounting the oil sump. In many engines (my Vito, f.i) is necessary to demount all the timing cams, pistons and then, we arrive to the crankshat.

Not really.

Before the bearing spins, there will be repeated contact and wear from said bearing.

Bigger engines often have a (timing driven) balance shaft assembly, which sits in the sump. Small engines don't have these unless it's not a 4 cylinder.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Originally Posted By: JorgeMartins
Hi there.

The Potassium figure is interesting, although if it is from anti freeze the level is not high enough to be an issue at present.

The OCI was too long and resulted in the oil thickening, also the insolubles figures is near the limit, so I would reduce the OCI to 10K.

No real harm done, but 14K does seem too long!

Too thick an oil can slow down oil flow around the top end, so I'm not surprised the Al figure is a tad high.

Hi.
Sorry to respond so late.
Thanks for the review
what do you mean with "AI"?
Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: Bobby_x
Hi,

all your tested oils have add packs based mainly on Ca, P and Zn
There are some European mid-saps oils having strong dose of Boron, Moly or Magensium, maybe it's worth to try them if your engine goes better.

Elf Solaris FE 5W-30 - holding Renault 0720 approval, lot of Moly, some Boron and less Calcium
Mobil ESP 5w30 - high Boron, some Moly, less Calcium
Petronas Syntium 5000 RN 5W-30 - high Magnesium, less Calcium

based on analysis:
http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/18416-5w-30-svezhie/

I'd stick to at least mid-saps oils not because of FAP, which in your case is missing, but rather to avoid deposits in the engine and turbo

Hi.
Thanks for the sugestion, i'll consider it.

Originally Posted By: Esmolante
Bom dia, vizinho.
smile.gif

What I have heard about catastrophic engine failure in K9K is that some connecting rods' shells (capas de biela, penso que se chaman en português) lack of flap that inmovilize them. So, that shells roll and block the oil leads. Without lubrication, wear rate rockets, shells are destroyed and then the connecting rod, destroying the engine.

What I can't understand is Renault isn't able to determine what engines are affected. Renauld has (or should have) notice of what part has been used in which engine. It would be as easy as composing a list of engines with faulty shells and replace it.

In fact, I don't know even what incarnations of K9K are affected (o meu sogro tem o dci 68CV, andiven a pescudar e penso que ese motor não está afectado). Anyway, I think doing UOAs is an smart idea. As soon as you see copper and/or lead peaks in an analysis, change the shells ASAP. You can do an UOA each 2 OCI's (but I'm not sure how fast shells destroy once the problem appears).

Oil viscosity: 5W30 seems better for your bearing and 5W40 for cams and piston rings. With both, Iron is a little bit high. I recomend you don't go further of 10.000 km with OCIs.

BTW, several K9K have a big problem with fuel pump make by Delphi. Search for steel savings into the fuel filter and reduce interval to 30.000km maximum. Do some research if your car has that awful Delfi pump (Bosch VE doesn't have any problem).

Sugiro unha Super Bock preta como agradecimento.
laugh.gif
11.gif

Até logo!

Olá vizinho.

Yes it is exactly that problem.

Renault PT always denied the problem I even contacted Renault FR and no answer!!

I'm am doing 1 UOA by 1 OCI.

My idea is to make the OCI every 10.000 km but this time I let it through.

I have never heard about the fuel pump problem but I will now deepen this situation. What problems causes that failure?

Thanks for the sugestion, i'll consider it.

Só bebo Sagres, mas posso oferecer uma Super Bock.

Abraço.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back