RLI 0w30, 6534 UOA, Cadillac ATS

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first run of this oil in my 2013 ATS with the 2.5 DI engine.

Red Line?

Comes out similar to Valvoline Synpower, Shaeffer's, Royal Purple with a touch of Moly and Boron added.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
RLI?

Renewable Lubricants Incorporated = RLI. They make bio-based synthetic oils that use a base oil blend of 40% to 70% HOBS (High Oleic Base Stock = vegetable oil esters), 30% to 60% PAO, and a proprietary additive package.

Yes it's Renewable Lubricants. That's Oxidation and Sulfation numbers are very high and a TBN of 2.52 is low for only 6500 miles.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Red Line?

Comes out similar to Valvoline Synpower, Shaeffer's, Royal Purple with a touch of Moly and Boron added.

I'm pretty sure the moly and boron are left over traces from the previous oil that was in there from the Cadillac dealer.

Originally Posted By: deven
Oxidation and Sulfation numbers are very high.

Nope. These numbers are normal for RLI bio-syn formulations.

TBN of 2.52 is low for only 6500 miles.

TBN starts at about 8.0, and given the high solubility of the RLI oils, with the first run in any engine, it's going to act as a cleaner and the TBN will take a hit.

^^What causes the Oxidation and Sulfation numbers to skew so high in the RLI formulations?

The car only has 33,154 miles so what kind of cleaning is RLI doing in a fairly new motor that the TBN is taking such a hit??

Last edited:
^^What causes the Oxidation and Sulfation numbers to skew so high in the RLI formulations?

The car only has 33,154 miles so what kind of cleaning is RLI doing in a fairly new motor that the TBN is taking such a hit??

Direct injection engines are notorious for ring and piston deposits because of the high fuel dilution that is inherent in DI.

The patented (stabilized) HOBS base oil skews the numbers. You'd be surprised at what the numbers are on a VOA of this stuff.

Mind sharing what's the typical virgin KV@100C of this oil type ? ..... appears to have thickened.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Mind sharing what's the typical virgin KV@100C of this oil type ? ..... appears to have thickened.

Nope. Vis is spot on.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Sky high VI. Wow.

Here's why. Note the VI of the various bio-based ester base oils. Also note the Noack numbers.

Good to know I can use Canola oil in a pinch.
grin.gif
Do the alcohol-based esters qualify as "bio" in this instance. RL 0-40 has a 190 VI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Good to know I can use Canola oil in a pinch.
grin.gif
Do the alcohol-based esters qualify as "bio" in this instance. RL 0-40 has a 190 VI.

Neat (untreated) vegetable oils are totally inadequate as base oils. RLI is one of the few companies that has developed patented processes for stabilizing these vegetable oils so that they can, in conjunction with PAO and/or Group III base oils make for a very effective base oil blend for motor oils and other lubricants.

As for more traditional esters like those used in Red Line oils, I don't think they qualify as "bio."

Here is what a 5w30 formulated using a base oil blend of 40% bio-based esters and 60% of either Group I, Group III, or PAO looks like:

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Originally Posted By: zeng

Nope. Vis is spot on.

Thanks, mate.
Occurs to me this used oil is robust and kicking, OCI could have been extended further .... though iron appears on the high side ... which could be inherent in this engine type, I guess.
blush.gif

I was actually thinking Motul with the alcohol origins or maybe I am misremembering. I believe they also claim to have "invented" ester oils or first commercial synthetics or something like that.

I'd love to see a comparison to Mobil 1, PP, or PU and decide based on that if the oil is worth using or not.

Really, really sad to see them 'cheapen' this oil by using a sodium-based detergent pack, known to be used to cut costs.

RLI used to use stuff like antimony to make it the best, cost was a side issue...but no, bean-counters got involved and now this is just like many other oils...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back