M1 0W40 in Toyota 4.0l V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota calls for 5W30 in the 1GR-FE V6 of the 2nd gen Tacoma.
Since after a few miles thousand miles dino oil tends to break down faster and have higher viscosity, I'm considering using synthetic M1 0W40 whose viscosity (hot) is likely close to that of used dino 5W30. Toyota engineers must have considered this change of viscosity in recommending 5W30 for dino oil.

Another reason I'm considering M1 0W40 is because many on BITOG rave about it. I've read here that off-the-shelf M1 0W40 is used straight in F1 engines. I've also read it's on the thin side of 40.

What's your take?

I'm going for a conservative 5K OCI.

Last edited:
M1 0W40 is aimed at Euro cars. I personally think it would be an overkill for your car.
Try it, it won't hurt, but you might experience bit la in engine response due to thickness, slightly lower MPG and oil might run hotter. I think M1 5W30 EP might be better choice.
As for F1, no they do not run it strait in F1 cars.

M1 0w40 would be a little overkill for your truck. If you'd like to move up to a 40 wt, Maxlife 10w40 and Pennzoil HM 10w40 are great choices for an older Toyota engine and typically easier on the wallet than Mobil 1.

Mobil 1 0W-40 is on the light side of SAE40 as you stated. You can run it without trouble and will likely not perceive any performance changes. I had 2 jugs of M1 0W-40 left over from BMW ownership and am now using it in my Frontier which specifies 5W-30. I can't tell any difference. My driving conditions show much more of a variation in fuel economy than the small viscosity increase from the Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 I had been using. With the M1 0W-40 I am extending my previous warranty mandated 5k OCI to 7.5k.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
Mobil 1 0W-40 is on the light side of SAE40 as you stated. You can run it without trouble and will likely not perceive any performance changes. I had 2 jugs of M1 0W-40 left over from BMW ownership and am now using it in my Frontier which specifies 5W-30. I can't tell any difference. My driving conditions show much more of a variation in fuel economy than the small viscosity increase from the Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 I had been using. With the M1 0W-40 I am extending my previous warranty mandated 5k OCI to 7.5k.

Thanks Josh.

M1 0w-40 still has $12 rebates through end of the month. It's as cheap as conventionals. They're paying you to use it.

It's close to a very strong 30 grade.

I think the 1 grfe (like Toyota engines in general)is a very tolerant engine in regards to lubrication and on a heavy platform like a taco, FJ or 4 runner mileage and response differences are not going to be detectable.
In non ilsac countries a3 oils are recomended as this standard determines a certain quality and usually are 40wts.

in conclusion imo fuel efficient oils won't cause a lot of wear and a3 oils won't really effect performance in a truck.

In fact I may try an a3 engine oil in my FJ on the next oil change,

Last edited:
IMO why not Mobil 1 5W-30?
mobil-1-synthetic-oil.png

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck

In my opinion, given your intended OCI, I'd use either Pennzoil's Gold 5W-30 or Mobil 1 0W-30 or 5W-30. I believe that Toyota knows full well how both synthetic and conventional oils perform in their engine and I believe they've made the most appropriate recommendation. When many of Toyota's vehicles were on 20 grade oils, their 4.0L V-6 remained on 30 grades for a while.

Though I certainly don't think 0W-40 would hurt anything, I'd use it only if it'll help you sleep better at night. At a relatively short drain interval of 5,000 miles, I don't think you'll be seeing a material benefit with the 0W-40. If you wanted to extend your intervals to 10,000 miles or something, then the slightly heavier 0W-40 might be to your advantage -- because it should still be well in the 30 grade range after shearing for that many miles.

Unless you live in the Arctic there is no real value running a syn oil with 5,000 mile oil change intervals.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Unless you live in the Arctic there is no real value running a syn oil with 5,000 mile oil change intervals.

Less load on the battery and better high temp shear resistance. Also major brand FS oils have a better add pack that is very important for the life of turbo bearings in particular.

Very little difference between a 5w30 and an 0w40 in warm viscosity terms.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner

Thanks Josh.

I'm with Josh, it will probably do just fine. One thing I'd question is the short (for M1) interval of 5k. If you're all city driving then it seems ok. If not, then you could easily go 7500 or maybe even 10k with a UOA.

It's a Toyota....their VVT system has 4 oil control valves and screens that need to be kept clean. The previous years has small oil passages and small pcv systems....Toyotas beg for syn oil.

I have had 7 of them. I have 3 right now. All get syn.

Toyota calls for 5W30 in the 1GR-FE V6 of the 2nd gen Tacoma.
Since after a few miles thousand miles dino oil tends to break down faster and have higher viscosity, I'm considering using synthetic M1 0W40 whose viscosity (hot) is likely close to that of used dino 5W30. Toyota engineers must have considered this change of viscosity in recommending 5W30 for dino oil.

Another reason I'm considering M1 0W40 is because many on BITOG rave about it. I've read here that off-the-shelf M1 0W40 is used straight in F1 engines. I've also read it's on the thin side of 40.

What's your take?

My T4R 4.0L would chew oil pretty good. I would try it. If it gets sluggish feeling try a 10w30 next.

Originally Posted By: Doog

It's a Toyota....their VVT system has 4 oil control valves and screens that need to be kept clean. The previous years has small oil passages and small pcv systems....Toyotas beg for syn oil.

I have had 7 of them. I have 3 right now. All get syn.

Do you know if operation the 1GR-FE VVT is sensitive to oil viscosity?

That statement doesn't quite make sense. I live a few hours south of the Arctic Circle and it just depends on the application and usage, same as anywhere else in the world.

Are the rebates valid when bought from Walmart? Looking at M1's site, Walmart isn't listed on the retailer list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back