Is this tire UNREPAIRABLE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's not leaking I'd leave it, otherwise I'd take it to an independent shop and let them do the repair. It's not uncommon for me to have 2 or 3 nails in every tire by the time it's time for new ones. People look at me like I'm nuts and say why not just buy new tires? Why? So the brand new tire can pick up a nail? Also discount is real good about crediting money back on tires that are not repairable if you buy from them.

Pump it up & dunk it, the outer one may not even be leaking. If it is, & you decide to plug it, put it on the back-it's less likely to cause an accident in the rear (unless you run it overloaded & low on air).

The issue is not whether a tire will hold air after a repair, but if the belt was damaged and could cause a tire blowout.

And remember if a tire is replaced in a vehicle with asymmetric AWD then you need to worry about matching was depth.

Since I can't edit my post, upon further review I'll amend it. Nail #2 is in an RMA repairable area. Nail #1 is close, I think it may be repairable but the shop may disagree. Especially with two puncture in same tire. CapriRacer said HERE that a puncture within an 1" of shoulder is not repairable. Looking at it, it's close. Two punctures makes it less likely imo.

For piece of mind I would plug patch the outer one if possible and hot patch the other one..run it on the back never on the front and it will serve you well.

There are probably 10s of thousands of tires on the road right now with a nail or two in them losing only a couple of pounds a week.

If you get a new tire, I'll take the old one please.

I forgot to mention in my previous post, when you get the plugs at Walmart, pick up a can of the solvent/glue. Dip the plug into the solvent before you stick it in the hole in the tire. It will make it slide in easier. Sometimes it takes a ton of strength to get those plugs in.

I think that the first nail is too close to the sidewall to make a successful repair with a plug.
No chain shop will touch this, but a local shop probably would.
I had a similar puncture in the LF of our '12 Accord at around 25K. I asked a local shop to shoot a plug in and we'd see what happened. 5K later, the plug was leaking, probably because it was in an area where the tire worked it and the belts were maybe cutting it.
I gave up and bought an OEM tire from Walmart for a decent price and had the local shop mount it.
I'd give it a try in any event. A successful repair would save you the cost of a new tire and if it doesn't work, you're not out very much coin.

Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
I have repaired many tires like that with a simple $3 tire plug repair kit form Walmart. Never had a problem or leak using these simple plug repairs in a nail or screw hole through the tread. That's my experience.

Same here

Originally Posted By: heynow
NibbanaBanana said:
I have repaired many tires like that with a simple $3 tire plug repair kit form Walmart. Never had a problem or leak using these simple plug repairs in a nail or screw hole through the tread. That's my experience.

Same here [/quote

I have done the same over the years without problem. Always have a plug kit in my vehicle. I would plug that tire, but you have to do what you are comfortable with.

Just leave the nail if it doesnt leak or plug it up in 5 minutes and save yourself a trip to the tire shop and spend a lot of money on a new tire

Two thoughts here...

1 - While nail #1 looks relatively close to the boundary line, I'd say that it's far enough in that it's worth plugging/patching from the inside. #2 definitely looks repairable. I'd think that if a proper plug and patch was done from the inside of the tire, you'd be okay to drive on those. If it were me, I'd take it to a Discount Tire and ask them to repair the tire, especially since it looks like there's a TON of tread on that. I'd guess at least 10/32"

2 - Judging by the tread pattern on that tire, I'm guessing it's a Uniroyal Tiger Paw or Tiger Paw Touring. I don't know the size that your car takes, but I do know that you can buy a new one of those for under $100 at WalMart in 215/55R17 size - 94V rating, 55,000 mile warranty. If a plug won't work, at least since the ones on there are nearly new, you could just replace the 1 and still be in decent shape.

.... If it were me, though, I'd just repair it and go.

Originally Posted By: heynow
Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana

Same here

Same here, and done donuts on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back