HM oils in BMW N62

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ever used high mileage oils in the N62 engine? Mine is currently sitting at 152500 miles. I've had most of every potential leak on this engine fixed minus the lower oil pan cover which looks like it's seeping ever so slightly. If a HM oil changed every 5K miles could slow or eliminate the seeping and help prevent future leaks from developing, I am open to trying it out. I have been using either GC or M1 0W40 for its life with me.

While I know BMW's LL01 spec calls for an HTHS of >3.5, their LL01FE spec allows for an HTHS of >3.0 which some oils like M1 HM 5w30 and 10w30 both have. Valvoline's full syn with maxlife 5w30 is a5/b5 rated which calls for an HTHS of >2.9. It seems to me that looking at HTHS, I'd be fairly safe using one of these oils. Whatever they lack in detergents for example will be balanced by my 5K OCI.

Aside from HTHS values, are there any other specs that I should consider when looking at these HM oils?

I would not use HM oils at all. First, that will not prevent leak. Second, N62 runs hot, not like N63, but it is demanding engine. It is not only HTHS, it is what is in the oil. N62 is NOT specd. for LL-01FE specification.
You need thick oil at operating temperature. Although I am not fan of Rotella T6 due to bit higher NOACK, I would go with T6 instead of HM oil or M1 5W40 TDT.

Castrol Edge High Mileage 10W-40 meets ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, seems close enough?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Farmer

Yeah, forgot about that one. It is definiately option.

I'd be tempted to add some LM Motor Oil Saver to your current oil; it has worked well for me in the past. Run it for at least 1000 miles and see if it does anything for you.

With your short interval, it is likely you would be fine with the Castrol HM 10W-40.

Which LM oil have you ran roofless?

Does anyone know the HTHS of the Castrol HM 10W40? While I'm not completely opposed to it, I'd like to avoid running something thicker than necessary just because I do a lot of highway miles and wouldn't want my fuel economy to drop much.

Originally Posted By: TXCarGeek

Does anyone know the HTHS of the Castrol HM 10W40? While I'm not completely opposed to it, I'd like to avoid running something thicker than necessary just because I do a lot of highway miles and wouldn't want my fuel economy to drop much.

All these oils have HTHS 3.5 and more, so HWY economy would not suffer at all IMO.
I saw you asking about mixing Castrol. 10W40 is HC Gr III oil. Castrol 0W40 is PAO based oil.

I don't run Liqui Moly oils, I find them to be too expensive with no real benefit over a mainstream brand with the same approvals.

What I am suggesting is Liqui Moly's additive: Motor Oil Saver. It is an ester additive that can and has slowed and stopped mild leaks for me in the past.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

I don't run Liqui Moly oils, I find them to be too expensive with no real benefit over a mainstream brand with the same approvals.

What I am suggesting is Liqui Moly's additive: Motor Oil Saver. It is an ester additive that can and has slowed and stopped mild leaks for me in the past.

Gotcha. That is how I feel about LM oils as well. I like otc stuff.

Would you hesitate to use LM Oil Saver with newish valve stem seals and other gaskets already installed? The main leak I currently see is my lower oil pan. I would hate to ruin other newer seals in an attempt to stop the lower oil pan from leaking.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Gotcha. That is how I feel about LM oils as well. I like otc stuff.

Would you hesitate to use LM Oil Saver with newish valve stem seals and other gaskets already installed? The main leak I currently see is my lower oil pan. I would hate to ruin other newer seals in an attempt to stop the lower oil pan from leaking.

A "seal sweller" will not "swell" a component past it's original dimension, but will "swell" a shrunken or dried part to, or close to, it's original dimension. It will not harm any seals in the engine.

Originally Posted By: Farmer

That's what i'm currently running in my m54, but that's not a very demanding engine.

Oil consumption seems slightly less than with Pennzoil Euro 5w40, but not a whole lot less. I also have some small leaks from rear main seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back