1080p 120hz vs 4k 60hz TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

Time for a new TV. Going for around a 50 inch. Would there be a vast difference between the two? The 4k would have "better" picture quality I guess, but the 1080p 120hz would have a faster refresh rate. My cable provider only broadcasts in 1080i. So could one even notice the difference? Or enough to justify the extra money?

Say no to 60 Hz. A lot market their 4k as 240hz,actually its 4 seperate panels running 60 Hz each. I have a LG LD550. Bought in 2010 and was TV of the year with 4 HDMI,120hz,2ms lag response. Waiting for 4k another year. Even video games aren't in 4k. Try for LG or Samsung.Make sure that with Bluray movies it will run 1080p/24p on the TV..if not find one that will.

Been curious about this myself. Is there anybody (of significance) even recording in 4k yet? Or is 4k still a ways off? Heck, most cable/satellite services do not even provide 1080....so how long will it be before a 4k signal is provided to a significant % of the population?

Talked to a techie about 4k and was humorously told little in 4K but a few r rated adults films and i guess some netflix streaming but I guess the bandwidth is another issue too. I had a 4K from Samsung and went back to LED LG and all my LG stuff remote wise works on all tvs. My neighbor bought one too. Used to grill out late and after beer 2 think it would be funny, lean other balcony and change the channel on his tv.

Last edited by a moderator:
120Hz TV's uses motion interpolation/MEMC by simulating 120 frames per second from content that is usually shot in 24/30fps by so it looks buttery smooth on a panel with a 120Hz refresh rate. Netflix and Youtube already offer 4K content but it hasn't caught on to major station networks and cable companies haven't caught wind of adding 4K channels yet (dish companies are starting to implement 4K). If you do a lot of watching in HD or SD I would stick with a 1080P panel. If you are a satellite early-adopter or stream with a high-bandwidth internet connection and don't mind the occasional stretched 1080p or SD content then 4K might be the way to go.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Marco620
Even video games aren't in 4k.

Video games have been able to support 4K and higher resolutions, it depends on the hardware if it can support higher resolutions. Current consoles, older video cards and HDMI specs prior to 1.4 didn't support 4K. With the introduction of HDMI 2.0 and revised consoles we might able to see 4K from consoles.

Last edited:
The new Xbox One Slim can do 4k. So can the new PS4 Pro coming out in November can too! When I get the new PS4 im finally gonna be able to test the 4k capabilities on my LG!

I just got a 50in TCL from costco for 399. It is 4k and 120hz...very happy with it so far.

It's worth looking at all the other "features" of the TV beyond just the refresh rate. Some companies will only save their best image processing software for the 4k TVs. A couple years back when I bought my Sony 4k, it has much better color than the non-4k TVs with "tri something or another" that wasn't available on the lower TVs. Find the model number for each TV and run a Google search to find reviews and maybe comparisons.

Vizio D50 1080P 120HZ full array LED at walmart for $398 That gives you room to add a soundbar.

Right at the edge of your budget is the Vizio D55 at $498.

I suggest with any TV you buy you go online and get a good calibration setup.

Zero F given about 4K if you ask me. As said, you need everything else to be in 4K for the TV to be able to shine..

1080P or even 1080i look great from a reasonable distance, I have zero desire to go to a 4K TV, even if my current 51 breaks. I would go with the 1080P 120hz panel and not look back.

FWIIW: my experience has been different from the posters above........about six months ago I bought two 78 inch Samsung 4k "sUHD" tv's from costco..........they upconvert everything to 4k.........

i have directv, and they are beginning to broadcast 4k blu ray quality stuff on about three channels........on and off......usually in the evenings........

additionally, I just bought the new philips 4k blu ray player from best buy.............when you hook the philipps into the 4k hdmi port on the tv.........tweak two settings (one on the tv, and one on the 4k blu ray player), and pop in a true 4k blu ray like "the revenant"..........holy [censored]........

it is unbelievably better............

the bandwidth from the philips player is uncompressed and frequently tops 120 Mbps..........you can't get anything like this online or thru cable or even direcTV........

you have to see this to believe it..........go to best buy (the ones with the Magnolia mini-stores inside them) and ask to see 4k bluray on one of their properly set up tv's..............you will be a believer.............

For TVs 1080 120hz refresh rate is not the same as a computer monitor 120hz refresh rate. TVs just double the frames and do not accept 120hz as an input. The most hz I have seen for both 1080 and 4k for TV content is 60fps. The only one so far was the Hobbit which was 48 or 60fps. By the way, in order to get 4k 60hz for triple A games requires TWO expensive Nvidia Titans top-of-the-line GPUs. Therefore 4k@60 in TVs is primarly for digitally recorded content. Film is still 24 fps.

Yes, many can tell the difference between 30 and 60fps. 60 and 120 far fewer people can in a controlled environment and those that notice it don't care to pay for it.

4k also starts to make sense when you're TV is right around the 65inch range. That appears to be a gray area at a typical minimum home couch distance of 8ft where many can tell a difference. Remember 4k is what digital theaters use. I use to recommend not paying extra for 4k but it's hard to avoid these days since nearly all TVs worth buying for picture quality are 4k already.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: razel
For TVs 1080 120hz refresh rate is not the same as a computer monitor 120hz refresh rate. TVs just double the frames and do not accept 120hz as an input. The most hz I have seen for both 1080 and 4k for TV content is 60fps. The only one so far was the Hobbit which was 48 or 60fps. By the way, in order to get 4k 60hz for triple A games requires TWO expensive Nvidia Titans top-of-the-line GPUs. Therefore 4k@60 in TVs is primarly for digitally recorded content. Film is still 24 fps.

Yes, many can tell the difference between 30 and 60fps. 60 and 120 far fewer people can in a controlled environment and those that notice it don't care to pay for it.

4k also starts to make sense when you're TV is right around the 65inch range. That appears to be a gray area at a typical minimum home couch distance of 8ft where many can tell a difference. Remember 4k is what digital theaters use. I use to recommend not paying extra for 4k but it's hard to avoid these days since nearly all TVs worth buying for picture quality are 4k already.

So then say if you're looking for 40-50 then 1080 would make more sense it seems...

I upgraded my home theatre over Labor Day weekend with Samsung's 8000 series 4K 65" + 4K blu-ray player. The results are outstanding. The standard HD signal from Comcast is remarkably better than on the Pioneer Elite 50" plasma it replaced. The Samsung can access the internet thru my local wifi and run 4K content from Utube, Netflix and others. There are several 4K movies already on he market (I bought Martian and 4th of July). Comcast has 4K boxes in beta and Direct TV claims they will have 50 4K channels in six months. There is no doubt in my mind that 4K will be he next widely accepted standard for home users. Love it. Worth every penny.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back