Napa Proselect 27082, 4500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a NAPA Proselect 27082 from my mom's 2007 Saturn Vue (2.2L Ecotec) with 122,500 miles on the vehicle, I am guessing ~4500 miles on the filter. The oil change sticker said change @ 121,041, and my mom said they told her every 3000 miles to change oil. Glad she went 4500 miles (she said her oil change light just came on, so I am guessing Meineke did not reset her monitor? she does mostly highway driving).
Her last oil change was done at a Meineke shop, so glad to see the ProSelect in there. No idea on what oil was used.

Filter top:

Interior shot:

This is the worst pleat spacing on the whole filter, so not bad at all:

Pleat seam (I could not find it when it was all together):

There are quite a few black specks throughout the filter. Looking in the oil fill there is some gunk there but not bad.

I replaced it with a Fram Ultra (got it for $7 on Amazon, same price as most other filters, so why not) and some 5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum (2009 vintage). I told her not to change the oil till 130,000 miles (7500 mile OCI), which will be almost a year. I plan on doing it then too, but she is about 50 miles from me, so I may not be able to then. I really want to see the filter though after a 7500 mile run on PP.

The media was quite tough and very hard to cut even with a new razor blade. Seems to be a very good filter for a jobber.
Cartridge filters are nice because you can immediately see what they look like when you pull it out.
The o-ring seal on the cap looked to still be in good condition, a little squared out but still sealing. No idea if it would have been good for a second use, but the Ultra comes with a new orange (silicone?) o-ring.

Looks very good for a jobber tier cartridge. Even more so considering that a great many of these ecotec cartridge anecdotes from 'all' brands frequent exhibit a squished and/or twisted post use result. I'm speculating the new Super Tech9018 would be the same cartridge.

So all things considered very nice results here.

Thanks for pics.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Looks very good for a jobber tier cartridge. Even more so considering that a great many of these ecotec cartridge anecdotes from 'all' brands frequent exhibit a squished and/or twisted post use result. I'm speculating the new Super Tech9018 would be the same cartridge.

Thanks for pics.

Yeah, I am debating the Supertech 9018 next time with some Supertech HM oil. I pulled one out of the package at the store and it seems to be good, but who knows. If it is the same quality as the Proselect (which from what I understand it is) I would use it for whatever the OLM says (which from what I have seen for her is around 6500 miles).

I have seen some of the Ultra (and other makes) issues, especially with the Ecotec. Not sure what the deal is with that.
One question, when installing the filter, are you supposed to put the filter in then put the cap on, or put the filter on the cap then put that in together? The Fram had an instruction sheet I glanced at and I think it said put the filter in first then cap (which is what I did). I can see that maybe the filter does not seat correctly on the lid and that could crush it?

That's the best looking Ecotec cartridge I've ever seen, including the Hengst AC Delco. You've got a winner there, I'll use that one from now on, the Hengst is getting a little harder to find cheap.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

Thanks for pics.

Yeah, I am debating the Supertech 9018 next time with some Supertech HM oil. I pulled one out of the package at the store and it seems to be good, but who knows. If it is the same quality as the Proselect (which from what I understand it is) I would use it for whatever the OLM says (which from what I have seen for her is around 6500 miles).

I have seen some of the Ultra (and other makes) issues, especially with the Ecotec. Not sure what the deal is with that.
One question, when installing the filter, are you supposed to put the filter in then put the cap on, or put the filter on the cap then put that in together? The Fram had an instruction sheet I glanced at and I think it said put the filter in first then cap (which is what I did). I can see that maybe the filter does not seat correctly on the lid and that could crush it?
The filter snaps into the cap, they get crushed because they're too long/tall. You're doing it correctly.

Even the cheapest Wix is good quality. Thank you for sharing
smile.gif

Interesting to see this Wix jobber line filter is Made in China (see first pic this thread).

The COO will undoubtedly make COD happy
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Interesting to see this Wix jobber line filter is Made in China (see first pic this thread).

The COO will undoubtedly make COD happy
wink.gif

The real Wix/Gold 7082 is made in China now, too. However, the XP/Platinum is still made in Poland.

My choice for this Ecotec would still be Hengst (USA), Mann HU6007x (Spain), or Purflux (France). OEM is Hengst

Since topic broached and in the interest of comparison disclosure, many Fram non jobber tier cartridges including the EG orange line are also Made in China.

Wix/Napa Gold cartridges for Hyundia/Kia are made in South Korea, same coo as the Mahle OEM cartridges. Having personal experience with them and posted anecdotes they are very high quality. Equal to the Mahle oem in my experience.

That aside, as noted this anecdote result looks quite good on it's own, and even better in comparison to many the other ecotec cartridge anecdotes from many brands.

Wix/Napa Gold cartridges for Hyundia/Kia are made in South Korea, same coo as the Mahle OEM cartridges. Having personal experience with them and posted anecdotes they are very high quality. Equal to the Mahle oem in my experience.

WHOAH, really? I have one I bought from Rock Auto, and when I took it out of the box is was pure black (no labels or number) and the date code with "Made in Korea" on the dome end.
I thought I had got "box swapped".
The threaded base plate end DEFINITELY resembles a Mahle more than any other make.

Well, bringing this back up for no other reason than to say I will not be posting a pic of the Fram Ultra from this engine.

I checked my mom's mileage, and she was at 129,700 miles, and I told her I was going to change her oil.
She tell me "Oh, I had it changed 3 months ago".
33.gif

She said she knew it had been a while and figure she needed a change (even though I had put a sticker on the windshield with 130,000 miles for next change).
Oh well, she has gotten this far with mostly oil change place filters and oil, so no real harm. She went to the same place she always does, so probably another Proselect in there.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

Did you look closely at the Supertech box? Great price I'll admit but then when it is only filtering at 95%.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back