Xtreme replacement mower clutches- any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to replace the Warner 5215-59 e-clutch on my project mower and found THIS. Lots of big talk and a fair price tag. Now usually that means junk, but it never hurts to ask- anyone have any experience with this brand?

I was tempted by that brand last year when I replaced my JD 345 clutch. I decided to go with the OEM JD clutch for about the same money. The original JD lasted 15 years.

I've never heard of the brand. Used and OEM or two. More curious about the project mower! Old E-clutch removal is not a joy.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I was tempted by that brand last year when I replaced my JD 345 clutch. I decided to go with the OEM JD clutch for about the same money. The original JD lasted 15 years.

Normally I'd do the same, but this would save me $80-$100 over the original.

Originally Posted By: bugeye
Positive reviews on "only cub cadets"

Good to know. I may have to some lurking over there and read up on them.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I've never heard of the brand. Used and OEM or two. More curious about the project mower! Old E-clutch removal is not a joy.

E-clutch came right off- no fighting whatsoever!

Mower is a Snapper 2000GT (actual model is GT180K 485H) that a guy gave me as he was moving away. I've always had a soft spot for these (and similar old Snapper mowers) as an old neighbor had something like it when I was growing up. I'll always remember it because it had a big twin (Briggs Vanguard I think) and dual exhaust right out the front. It sounded mean and grizzly to a kid like me.

Well when this thing fell in my lap with it's 18hp Kohler Magnum (with front exit dual exhaust), I jumped on it. It was a case of leaping before I looked... He said the hydro was slowing down quite a bit and that it seemed to go faster in reverse than forward. He bought a filter and gave me some 50w transmission oil and thought that might help... I figured the hydro was toast but tried anyway- no dice. Then I thought no biggie... We have a hydro rebuilder about 30 miles away- yeah, they told me that parts are near impossible to find and that if they did have them or could get them I'd be looking at $500-600. Hmmm. So I put it on the back burner, resolving to call Eaton and/or tear it down to figure out the problem. I had already rebuilt the carb to get it to run and replaced the starter and head gaskets and put a battery in it- like I said... I got a little ahead of myself, but figured that if the worst were to happen, I could likely sell the engine and recoup my money.

Every now and again I'd search for a used one and wasn't really liking what I saw. Last new price was somewhere between $1500 and $1800! Well just the other day, I searched again and found the same model (Eaton 851) on e-bay, new in box... for about $250.00! So for $275.00 to my doorstep from Quebec, I figured I couldn't go wrong. It showed up and the only problem I saw right away was that it was a CW rotation unit and mine is CCW. Then I thought that I could mix and match parts to make mine work- until I saw in the manual that rotating the pump cover plate around 180* should work! The hydro body even has casting marks for CW and CCW rotation- just turn the pump cover (it has an arrow for alignment purposes) to whichever you need.. Score! After doing that and transferring the direction control shaft from my old unit, I think I may be in business. Gearing could be an issue too, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

So now I'm just trying to piece it back together and see what she's made of.

That's a neat looking rider Eric. Had to look that model up. That old Kohler Magnum has to sound nice. Lot of fuel consumption though. They're pigs for mowing duty.

hqdefault.jpg

That's what I'm afraid of. I currently own a Deere L110 with the Kohler Command 17.5hp (probably more like 14-15hp) and it barely sips fuel. I can mow our half acre lawn 3 times on a tank of fuel. Now I'm doing the neighbor's 2+ acres, and they only want it done no more than once a week, so the grass will get about 8" tall before I'm able to do it again- even then, I can do the whole thing on one tank and may still have enough to do ours!

I'm curious to see how this big monster does... plan on keeping the Deere for now and have having the Mrs. help mow the neighbor's too. If I'm mowing solo and have to refuel once on the neighbor's yard, so be it.

Once I get a little farther along, I'll post up a pic and/or a video. Oh, and I was a little off on the model- it's a 2000GX...

Yeah, your OHV Kohler single cyl will sip fuel in comparison, but the old girl might not be that bad. You'd have to try it for your usage to see for sure.

I've seen the same looking rider as the Snapper 2000 GX sold under the Ford brand. Just wondering who the actual manufacturer is to maybe make parts sourcing easier. Is it actually a Snapper product, a Garden Way product, etc. I know some of these "brands" didn't actually make the unit.

I just put an XtremeOPE clutch clutch in my "old-enough-to-drink-legally" Deere STX38 (12.5 HP Kohler Command). It's nicely made, lots of parts are beefier than the original clutch, you can replace the bearings just by removing a snap ring, and it went on without a problem. It was much cheaper than an OEM Deere clutch and got here in just a few days because they are pretty close to me in Florida.
smile.gif

thanks,
ben

Your experiences mirror mine. Clutch arrived quickly, was well packaged and had plenty of very explicit instructions.

So far mine has worked perfectly. The only issue I currently have is the mower wiring. In the instructions they very clearly state operating voltage is to be 13.6 to 14v. Well due a damaged ignition switch and somega bad connectionshape, mine was too low. Replacing the switch helped but didn't get the voltage up high enough. Temporary solution was to run a jumper from the battery side of the solenoid to the clutch switch. That got running voltage up to the proper range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back