Alternative to MC yellow coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm looking at another Focus. 2009 2dr and wondering what coolant other than the MC "yellow" I could use.

Thank you in advance.

2hn8a3c.jpg

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Walmart all makes all models. That's what is now in my Explorer.

I have used that in my Fords for years with success.

Zerex G-05. Do check the price at your Ford dealer though. I've actually found their price to be less than the G-05 price at the Napa stores I've sourced from in the past.

Zerex G-05 is a direct replacement. Advance auto, Oreilly, Napa, Amazon all have it.

Originally Posted By: car51
Tig1: are you using the Wal Mart all makes all models in your Focus?

get the g-05

Quote:
My understanding is that the MC coolant is G-05.

Motorcraft Gold AF is G-05. Either Zerex of MC Gold, whichever can be found for less will work fine.

I would completely avoid the universal All Make Models which use/contain 2eha for the 09 Focus. G05 is spec and is now easily found at reasonable prices especially in the Zerex AF so no reason not to use it.

Originally Posted By: car51
I'm getting the ZEREX as the all makes all models looks shady to me

AMAM is dexcool clone. I have it in my old mopars. When I get a leak, like a failed water pump, I get brown sludge.
Amazon has Zerex G-05.

Zerex ZXG05RU1 G-05 Antifreeze / Coolant - Gallon

$12.99 Prime| FREE Same-Day shipping.

Old thread, but I just did some digging and found out something interesting.

Chemically speaking, Mopar "5 year / 100,000 mile" pink coolant is, for all intents and purposes, essentially the same thing as G-05/MC Gold coolant, just a different color.

Both use:

Ethylene Glycol
Diethylene Glycol
Sodium Benzoate
Sodium Tetraborate

Actual percentage of content is ever-so-slightly different, but just slightly..

G-05 MSDS sheet

Mopar 5-year/100,000-mile pink MSDS sheet

.. why use the Mopar stuff when G-05/MC Gold is cheap and easy to find? I find that the G-05/MC Gold is too light in color to easily determine its level in my overflow container. The Pink stuff is MUCH easier to see.

Might want to contact Valvoline to get their take.

I contacted Valvoline and was told G-05 was the direct replacement for the Mopar Orange coolant my 2012 Ram came with, and was the FF in my truck but dyed orange.

My black overflow reservoir has a dipstick. It's a simple exercise to make one from the right size zip tie if your reservoir doesn't have one.

Sounds like the person you spoke with @ Valvoline was misinformed, or had incorrectly synthesized that information out of something they were told. G-05 is virtually identical to Motorcraft Gold.. that, or it IS MC Gold.. and, as the MSDS sheets show, essentially the same thing as Mopar pink. Perhaps the Valvoline person was informed that G-05 is the same as Mopar Pink, and that is what replaced Mopar Orange?

As far as the dipstick idea goes - I don't really need that.. I can see the coolant in the resevoir, but it's not obvious at casual glance - In order to do it easily, I have to hold a flashlight up to the side of the resevoir and look carefully... it's tough during the day. The Mopar Pink (or if I decide to, Rotella ELC or Peak Global) would make it VERY obvious at a glance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back