Tire Advice: 2015 Highlander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at Continental Extreme Contact. Ive owned Michelin and the tread does last forever, but wet pavement driving was subpar and the sidewalls began to crack after 5 years. I wouldnt buy Michelins again. Continental make A LOT of OEM tires that really arent that great, but I and my mechanic are big fans of Continental's premium tires. I have a set of Pure Contacts on my Corolla that grip better in wet pavement than they do when its dry. I get absolutely NO SPIN like I did on wet pavement with my Michelin tires that I got at Costco. I have Crosscontacts on my 4Runner that I REALLY like. My friend put Bridgestones on his 4Runner and he wishes he had gotten the Continental that I have cause they handle better. I would have purchased the Extremes but they werent available in my size.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: larG
Look at Continental Extreme Contact. Ive owned Michelin and the tread does last forever, but wet pavement driving was subpar and the sidewalls began to crack after 5 years. I wouldnt buy Michelins again. Continental make A LOT of OEM tires that really arent that great, but I and my mechanic are big fans of Continental's premium tires. I have a set of Pure Contacts on my Corolla that grip better in wet pavement than they do when its dry. I get absolutely NO SPIN like I did on wet pavement with my Michelin tires that I got at Costco. I have Crosscontacts on my 4Runner that I REALLY like. My friend put Bridgestones on his 4Runner and he wishes he had gotten the Continental that I have cause they handle better. I would have purchased the Extremes but they werent available in my size.

Continental had huge issues with weak sidewalls. I have DWS on Tiguan, and did not developed that issue, but many did. I am not sure about your experience with Michelin, but Michelin on tests and in my experience ha better wet performance. Now, I would never drive tire older then 5 years, so cannot tell you what happens after.

Ya, I'll most likely replace this week. Just wanted to get a majority opinion on what I should do. I agree, my wife and kid's safety is top priority. I'll most likely take a good look at the Michelin Premiers. Not snow or ice here in South Texas, otherwise I might shop the Defenders.

I have latitudes that came factory for my terrain. Nice tire. Cant speak much for traction etc. in the later miles considering they only have 12k on them. If I had to choose between the one's you mentioned I would go with the Pirellis. Somebody also mentioned Cooper SRXs, I am considering them for my terrain when they need new rubber. They have been getting excellent reviews and seem to really offer a lot of bang for your buck versus some of the "goto" tires that people always say you need

I also have Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia on a 15 HL. Good to know 40K is possible. I like the tires so far.

Originally Posted By: RN89
Ya, I'll most likely replace this week. Just wanted to get a majority opinion on what I should do. I agree, my wife and kid's safety is top priority. I'll most likely take a good look at the Michelin Premiers. Not snow or ice here in South Texas, otherwise I might shop the Defenders.

I would sta away from Defender in that climate. It is much softer compound then Premier LTX and it will be softer on the road then Premier LTX. Defender is true cross between all-season and winter tire, and it will behave more like a winter tire then all season tire. Pay attention on trad on both tires. Outside tread on premier is much more rigid and less flexible, which will increase stability in cornering and braking. Premier is true grand touring tire with hint of HP.
Also, due to climate there, softer tire will wear out faster.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

I would sta away from Defender in that climate. It is much softer compound then Premier LTX and it will be softer on the road then Premier LTX. Defender is true cross between all-season and winter tire, and it will behave more like a winter tire then all season tire. Pay attention on trad on both tires. Outside tread on premier is much more rigid and less flexible, which will increase stability in cornering and braking. Premier is true grand touring tire with hint of HP.

Where did you see that? The defender LTX is the new truck line the premier LTX is the car line.

I dont see anywhere it says the defender ltx has a softer tread compound.. its a tire focusing on long tread life, with deeper tread depth vs the premier ltx line

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20150728/NEWS/150729925

I too wouldnt buy the org. defender passenger radial.. they pretty much suck. I have a set they are hard riding, traction is ok nothing special when cold out.. and wearing out 3x faster than the mileage warranty suggests. However that isnt the same tire as the defender ltx.

NO WHERE does anyone suggest the defender has a soft compound ala hybrid performance winter tire type.
Its number one claim is long tread life?

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: edyvw

Where did you see that? The defender LTX is the new truck line the premier LTX is the car line.

I dont see anywhere it says the defender ltx has a softer tread compound.. its a tire focusing on long tread life, with deeper tread depth vs the premier ltx line

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20150728/NEWS/150729925

I too wouldnt buy the org. defender passenger radial.. they pretty much suck. I have a set they are hard riding, traction is ok nothing special when cold out.. and wearing out 3x faster than the mileage warranty suggests. However that isnt the same tire as the defender ltx.

NO WHERE does anyone suggest the defender has a soft compound ala hybrid performance winter tire type.
Its number one claim is long tread life?

You said Defender is truck tire, which is true. So why on Highlander? Highlander is NOT a truck, it is car based SUV and tire like Premier LTX will do MUCH better on that platform then tire that is made for trucks.
Look at outer side tread on Defender. It has zig-zag pattern (to help light snow, ice and slush). That means that outer sidewall will be softer then compare to Premier LTX that has strait line separation on one tread block, meaning Premier LTX will be more dynamic in cornering. Defender? Yes, you drive F150 you get that. Car based SUV (let's not forget that Highlander is based on Camry platform) then grand touring tire like Premier LTX.

LTX = truck/SUV (depending on size)

no LTX = car/SUV (depending on size)

The Defender, like the Premier is available in non-LTX and LTX versions.

For what it's worth, I have about 5K miles on the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus(es) on my '13 Explorer and I REALLY like them. They are especially great in the rain. They replaced Firestone Destinations LE2s and are an improvement in almost every way. I cannot comment on treadwear at this point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ddubya
For what it's worth, I have about 5K miles on the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus(es) on my '13 Explorer and I REALLY like them. They are especially great in the rain. They replaced Firestone Destinations LE2s and are an improvement in almost every way. I cannot comment on treadwear at this point.

Those are really, really good HP tires for SUV's.

Hello everyone,
I have a couple of questions before I break down and purchase new tires. Our 2015 Highlander just turned 40,000 miles today. Currently, it still has the OEM tires - Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia. They've worn evenly with not-so-on-time scheduled rotating. The front is 4/32 and the back is 6/32.

It was recommended to me today that I replace the tires asap (the front ones) but I am wondering if I can ride them a little longer as they are 4/32. I live in South Texas so there is now snow, just the normal rain storms that roll in. Also, just verifying that I should leave the tires with more tread on the back, correct?

Next question is about tires. I have a couple different tires on my list that I have been researching.
1. Michelin Latitude Tour
2. Micheline LTX
3. Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus
4. Toyota is offering Buy 3 get 1 for $1 on the OEM Bridgestone Duelers. Seems to be the cheapest options, but only 40k miles out of the Bridgestones?!

Do any of you have any opinions of the tires listed or have them in use? Reviews? Further recommendations for our 2015 Highlander FWD? Thanks in advance!

245 55 19? What psi are you running?

Just put new tires on our 2013 Highlander via the "Buy 3 Get 4th for $1" Toyota dealer promo. The OEM tires were Toyo Open Country A20. Down to 4/32's after 3 years and 30,000 miles. We went with Yokohama Geolandar H/T G056 for the replacements. So far they are quiet and ride very nice. Just checked the pressure this morning, and the dealer had them inflated to 35psi (5psi over the spec'ed 30psi on the door jamb.) So, we lowered them to 33psi just to see if there is a difference in performance. Simple experimentation is always fun
smile.gif

We also looked into the Cooper Discoverer SRX and the Pirelli Scorpion Verde, but they were actually going to be more expensive than the deal at the dealer and the Yoko's get respectable reviews at Tire Rack. Plus we have never had Yokohamas on anything and people at work spoke very highly of their experiences with Yokos on SUVs and crossovers. They will certainly be better than the OEM Toyos which were serviceable but not impressive at anything other than being quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back