Thermostat Auxiliary/Emergency Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have HP with Propane furnace as auxiliary heat in winter. I have an outdoor thermostat on HP that will turn HP off and 35 degrees and turn on Propane furnace to heat from 35 degrees on down. At this time of year our house can get to 70 at night (outside temp drops to around 40 degrees) and at 6:00 am the thermostat calls for 72. This 2 degree differential trips on my auxiliary Propane furnace like it's emergency heat. Is there a way to increase this spread? I have a Honeywell 6000 series. From looking through the setup manual, it seems the only meaningful adjustment I can make is the number of cycles per hour which is currently set at 3CPH. Any suggestions?

I don't need the propane to come on in the morning when the outside temp is 45 degrees. My HP is perfectly capable to slowly bring the home temp up 2 degrees.

Is there a control box on the unit itself? I'm assuming there's a wire telling the thermostat that the aux is on, rather than the thermostat controlling it. I know on my oil furnace, my digital hydrostat there is adjustments for just about everything. I'm probably totally wrong, I like my old technology, lol.

Duh....
eek.gif
IDK

I have the same setup and my outdoor thermostat is set to zero. I control when I want propane by turning my thermostat to emergency when it gets cold enough.

When my thermostat detects a 2 degree difference between actual temp inside the house and thermostat desired temp, it turns on the emergency (propane) heat.

For example, house temp is 70 and thermostat calls for 71 and outside temp is 40 = HP comes on
Anytime the outside temp is less than 35 degrees, the Propane furnace runs.
House temp is 70 and thermostat is set for 72 and outside temp is 40 = Propane comes on as emergency heat

In other words, my system recognizes a 2 degree difference in temp as a "emergency' situation.

Or better yet, we've been gone for the day with the heat turned back to 68. We come home and can only raise temp by 1 degree without the propane coming on. If I raise it to 70, the propane comes on.
I want a wider gap.

I want a wider 3-4 degree spread before my Propane comes on. Is this possible?

Originally Posted By: Tribe21
I have the same setup and my outdoor thermostat is set to zero. I control when I want propane by turning my thermostat to emergency when it gets cold enough.

That's the way mine was before I installed the outdoor thermostat a couple weeks ago. I'm happy with the way the HP and Propane furnace work together. I just want to have a bigger temp gap between normal and emergency heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back