Houston We Have a Problem- JASO MA instead of MA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
So last year I bought a jug of Spectro Platinum 4 15W50 for my 2013 Multistrada at the time, then crashed into a deer with it and never used the jug. 13's manual didn't say anything on JASO compliance at all, only had a viscosity vs. ambient outside air temperature chart as a guide.

I now have a 2016 Multistrada and was going to use this still sealed jug at the oil change in 1100 miles or so. However, I was moving stuff around in garage today and noticed the back label on the jug says JASO MA. The 2016's manual specifically states only use oil that meets JASO MA2 and does not allow for MA, see below.

So I'm wondering if I should use this or go buy an MA2 compliant oil. Can't find any batch ID printing on the jug to determine date it was bottled by the company. Spectro has been showing Platinum 4 as MA2 both on their website and JALO's official JASO Oil Standards list also shows it MA2 ( http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV_LIST.pdf ), so maybe this jug was old stock at the time I bought it online last year. No telling how old it is.

The Platinum 4 in it now was put in at the 600 mile 1st service by dealer and is likely the newer MA2 formulation.

JASO MA was split into MA1 and MA2

MA1 is bad MA,MA2 should be ok..

however that's a very nice bike.. use the oil in a lawnmower/tractor whatever and buy the right stuff.

Doesn't MA2 basically mean it's safe with catalytic converters? If your bike still has the converter fitted, I wouldn't risk using that oil.

I would check with Spectro, your oil may be MA2. They may be able to tell from the batch code 23154

Their web site shows- http://spectro-oils.com/platinum-full-synthetic/
Exceeds all known motorcycle manufacturer’s warranty requirements, plus A.P.I. SL/JASO MA/MA2.

As to the difference in MA1 and MA2, it has nothing to do with Catalytic converters, it is based on the friction characteristics of the oil-

http://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/JASO_MA_JASO_MB.php

In order for a motor oil to meet any of the above mentioned JASO standards it must be at least of one of the following quality levels:

API SG, SH, SJ, SL, SM
ILSAC GF-1, GF-2, GF-3
ACEA A1/B1, A3/B3, A3/B4, A5/B5, C2, C3

The JASO MA range is further divided into 2 distinct ranges - the JASO MA1 and JASO MA2 ranges - as follows:

Code:
JASO MA1 JASO MA2

Dynamic Friction Characteristic Index (DFI) >=1.45 and =1.8 and
Static Friction Characteristic Index (SFI) >=1.15 and =1.7 and
Stop Time Index (STI) >=1.55 and =1.9 and

Last edited:
Here's a quart bottle I got from dealer at the 600 mile 1st service on the bike 5 months ago, in case top-up needed over the OCI duration. As we can see, it is MA2. The MA2 spec has been out for a long time now, going to contact Spectro see if I can find out just how old that jug is.

Originally Posted By: hpb
Doesn't MA2 basically mean it's safe with catalytic converters? If your bike still has the converter fitted, I wouldn't risk using that oil.

MA2 has nothing to do with catalytic converters. The only difference between MA2 compared to MA and MA1 is the clutch friction results.

Originally Posted By: Rand
JASO MA was split into MA1 and MA2

MA1 is bad MA,MA2 should be ok..

however that's a very nice bike.. use the oil in a lawnmower/tractor whatever and buy the right stuff.

MA1 and MA are not bad. MB is bad (if you have a wet clutch). MA1 is lower clutch friction than MA2, and MA is a mix of results between MA1 and MA2. If you are competing and clutch performance is crucial then MA2 is definitely the best option. However for the average rider MA, MA1 or MA2 will all get you there. There is no reason to panic over using one or an other as long as it meets one of the specs.

Last edited:
Your oil bottle may be before ma2 began, so its quite possible, that oil will meet ma2 , even if it doesn't the difference between MA and MA2 is nothing catastrophic, Id run it.

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
Originally Posted By: hpb

MA2 has nothing to do with catalytic converters. The only difference between MA2 compared to MA and MA1 is the clutch friction results.

Thanks for educating me, I've obviously been mislead about this somewhere along the line.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
Your oil bottle may be before ma2 began,...

That's what I'm thinking. Means that the retailer may have been selling some very old stock.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
...so its quite possible, that oil will meet ma2 , even if it doesn't the difference between MA and MA2 is nothing catastrophic, Id run it.

Actually I'm going to refrain from using it, mainly because the 2016 Multi is built to Euro 4 emissions spec which means that the clutch material *may* be slightly different and the MA2 requirement spelled out in the owner manual may need to be strictly followed.

Since the jug is still factory sealed intact, I want to see if Spectro themselves might trade me out for an MA2 jug if I ship it to them. They may say "take it up with the retailer" which I completely understand, but since it's been a year since I bought it I doubt Chaparral Motor Sports will swap it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back