Is Castrol Edge 0W40 qualify as Dexos2 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I'm looking for a Dexos2 5W40/0W40 approved engine oil (required in owner's manual) .
In the Dexos website ( http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2/ ) I've found Castrol Edge 0W-40 (which is available in Walmart/Amazon) , however I cannot find on it the Dexos2 lable.
You help is appreciated.
Thanks

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
It DOES NOT qualify for Dexos 2 as Castrol 0W40 is a full saps oil.

Thnaks for the quick reply! Will Mobil 1 0W40 qualify ?
Until now I used valvoline synpower 5w40 MST , It's just to hard to find and at a premium price (which I'm willing to pay if it's the only option)

Originally Posted By: mbar1
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
It DOES NOT qualify for Dexos 2 as Castrol 0W40 is a full saps oil.

Thnaks for the quick reply! Will Mobil 1 0W40 qualify ?
Until now I used valvoline synpower 5w40 MST , It's just to hard to find and at a premium price (which I'm willing to pay if it's the only option)

Nope, Mobil1 0W40 FS has even more levels of SAPS then Castrol 0W40.
Valvoline 5W40 MST is Mid-SAPS, hence MST (Mid-Saps Technology).
What car is in question? You have A LOT of 5W30 oils that meet Dexos II and those oils like Mobil1 5W30 ESP, Pennzoil Platinum Euro L etc. are almost 5W40 oils in terms of HTHS and cst. For example HTHS of Mobil1 0W40 FS is 3.6cp while HTHS of Mobil1 5W30 ESP is 3.58cp.
Also, NAPA has very often sale of these oils. I bought like 30qt of Valvoline 5W40 MST for $4.99 per qt in May.
In June NAPA had Mobil1 sale, and Mobil1 5W30 ESP was $5.99 for a liter.
Best way to recognize Dexos II oil is if it has these approvals in the back for 5W30 oils: MB 229.51, BMW LL-04, VW 504.00/507.00 OR if it is 5W40 then: MB 229.51, BMW LL-04, VW 502.00/505.01.

He's the challenge (a little re-hash of an old thread...my apologies) : My 2016 Camaro SS stock oil spec is 5W30 Dexos1. The owner's manual instruct to use for Track Day events 5W40/0W40 Dexos2 due to high engine oil temperatures (230-245F). I only ASSUME that this is because of a higher minimum HTST of 5W40 oils/Dexos2 spec (maybe I'm wrong).
Should I go with 40 weight oil that is not Dexos2 or maybe 5W30 oil that is Dexos2 ....or don't mess around and stick with Valvoline?

Thanks for your help!!!!

He's the challenge (a little re-hash of an old thread...my apologies) : My 2016 Camaro SS stock oil spec is 5W30 Dexos1. The owner's manual instruct to use for Track Day events 5W40/0W40 Dexos2 due to high engine oil temperatures (230-245F). I only ASSUME that this is because of a higher minimum HTST of 5W40 oils/Dexos2 spec (maybe I'm wrong).
Should I go with 40 weight oil that is not Dexos2 or maybe 5W30 oil that is Dexos2 ....or don't mess around and stick with Valvoline?

Thanks for your help!!!!

Oh, OK, you do NOT need Dexos II! That is GM advertising their own specification. Dexos I is full-SAPS, so why would you need Low or Mid-SAPS Dexos II? I thought you were driving Cruze diesel or Colorado diesel.
Forget what I said. Get Castrol 0W40 in Wal Mart. It will work much better then Dexos I. Castrol 0W40 has much lower NOACK, much more stable, much better cold pumpability and has HTHS of 3.7cp.
You are driving SS? I would keep Castrol 0W40 all the time in the engine.
Now if you do not feel good about it, another good option is Castrol 0W30 that has HTHS of 3.58cp, and NOACK 8.1%. It is also Full-SAPS and until Castrol introduced 0W40 (same base stock as 0W30) in Wal Mart in 5qt jugs, it was darling among Euro owners.

I agree with edyvw. If you plan on occasionally going to the track, just use Castrol 0w40 year round.

Originally Posted By: ryanm8
I agree with edyvw. If you plan on occasionally going to the track, just use Castrol 0w40 year round.

Thanks guys! Do I need to worry about driving 0W40 in the mid-Atlantic winter? (original daily driver spec calls for 5W30) . In the past 3 months (warm weather) car ran great with 5w40

Originally Posted By: ryanm8

Thanks guys! Do I need to worry about driving 0W40 in the mid-Atlantic winter? (original daily driver spec calls for 5W30) . In the past 3 months (warm weather) car ran great with 5w40

Get in that case, if you are worried Castrol 0W30. It is not sold in Wal MArt but AutoZone or AAP and NAPA. Look for sale. I think reg. price is $9+. Now, Castrol 0W30/40 are both made from same stocks and 0W30 will have better NOACK. It is still rated for BMW LL-01 which is now hardest specification to meet.
It will reach operating temperature bit faster then 0W40, however cranking during cold will be pretty much the same. I used 0W30 and now for some time 0W40 and it is probable one of the best cold performing ACEA A3/B3 B4 oils on market. To give you piece of mind, I started Tiguan on -42 in Wyoming two years ago, no issues, no rattling noise, nothing.

Last edited:
My old BMW using 0W-40 sits outside in northern Wisconsin and starts at air temperatures of -25 Fahrenheit and below with no problem.

I appreciate everybody's help today. I guess my new motor oil for daily driving and track use is going to be Castrol 0W40 . Cross your fingers that I won't blow my engine at the track
wink.gif

Yes I agree with edyvw, you only need a low SAPS Dexos2 oil for a diesel car, to track day your petrol car they are saying to get a high (3.5 or more) HTHS oil. Yeah sure Dexos2 is high HTHS (and low SAPS), but there are lots of Euro grade A3/B4 oils that are both high SAPS and high HTHS. The regular Dexos1 is not a low SAPS oil, so your car doesn't need low SAPS.

The standard A3/B4 Euro grade oils will be perfect for you, and Castrol Edge 0W-40 is an excellent example of this type of oil, it should work well for you. Have fun !!!

For now I got the Castrol.
I Guess I'll have to flip a coin next time between Castrol 0W-40 or Mobil1 0W-40.
I wonder which one is better for the track...Google here we go...

Update:
Changed my oil (10 Q ) to Castrol 0W40.
Took the car for a weekend at the track. No problems at all after 7 hard sessions of 25 min each. Oil temp as usual got to 240F.
I would say that I can hear louder ticks from the direct injection compared to the Valvoline 5W40 MST. These ticks remind me the sound I had when I got the car with factory fill of Mobil1 5W30.

[/quote]
Oh, OK, you do NOT need Dexos II! That is GM advertising their own specification. Dexos I is full-SAPS, so why would you need Low or Mid-SAPS Dexos II? I thought you were driving Cruze diesel or Colorado diesel.
[/quote]

Is it though? Not trying to prove you wrong but many API SN Energy Conserving formulas in a 0W20, 5W20, 5W30 are approved for Dexos 1 and by association are not full SAPS oils. Just wanting clarification.

Last edited:
Is your engine basically the same as the Corvette, that recommends 15W50 for track use?
If that was my car, I would likely use a HDEO synthetic 10W40 HTHS of 4.0-4.5

Originally Posted By: SR5
Just to add, but it may not help the OP, Castrol Australia has two Edge 0W40 oils:

Edge 0W40 A3/B4, SN, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, Porsche A40
Edge 0W40 C3, SN, BMW LL-04, MB 229.51, Dexos2

[Link Castrol Oz Edge]

We still do not have 0W40 C3. I would be first to use it in BMW if we had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back