Looking for a used Toyota 4-Runner. Best year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about getting a used 4-Runner. I'm trying to research the best year/engine. (4.0 V6 or 4.7 V8). I know the resale value is high, as expected. I'd like to know if any particular year is more reliable within this make.

My wife had a 91, IIRC - the last year with the newish body style and the front triangle windows. 4 cyl too. ATF used to boil over when doing long hills in hot weather, but it ran and ran until it rotted.

IMO, an older 4 cyl is the way to go if yore cruising around town and just getting through bad weather. If its going to be a true DD in lieu of other vehicles, then I can't say for certain, but do know that they got real ugly with knobby front lights and weird badging over the last few years... Before that they were fairly "handsome".

1995 and older is 3.0, which is known for popping head gaskets. 1996 brought OBDII and the well loved 3.4L V6. Both are timing belt motors, but they are non-interference. The desirable 4.7L V8 is also non-interference timing belt.

The 4 speed auto is pretty robust. No worries there. V8 got a 5 speed, but again, robust.

I want to say though the big issue with the V8 is the shocks--well, maybe not a big deal, but more expensive if it has a fancy system. I know my brother has a V8 4Runner, and talking to him I think he plans on doing a lift when the shocks die.

Quote:

The desirable 4.7L V8 is also non-interference timing belt.

Is this on the 4runner only?; On a Tundra it is an interference motor IIRC.

Hey Buster,
Guessing you are looking at the 4th gens if you are debating between the V6 and V8. The early V6s had headgasket issues. The consensus on the forum (http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/) is that the V8s are the way to go as you will have more power, full time awd/4wd and only pay about 1 mpg "penalty".

If you find one with the XRES (aka the fancy suspension), yes it will eventually leak but can replaced with any aftermarket suspension. Other common issues are Brake Calipers sticking, wheel bearings eventually going, and suspension eventually going too. There is also a secondary air pump that can die and put your engine in limp mode. the anything built 2007 or before 2007 can install a bypass relay to avoid the whole thing.

I would cruise the forum i linked to and see read up. 2005-2007 V8 is prob the sweet spot with the revised variable timing, 5 spd trans and avoid the air pump issue.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: NYSteve
Hey Buster,
Guessing you are looking at the 4th gens if you are debating between the V6 and V8. The early V6s had headgasket issues. The consensus on the forum (http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/) is that the V8s are the way to go as you will have more power, full time awd/4wd and only pay about 1 mpg "penalty".

If you find one with the XRES (aka the fancy suspension), yes it will eventually leak but can replaced with any aftermarket suspension. Other common issues are Brake Calipers sticking, wheel bearings eventually going, and suspension eventually going too. There is also a secondary air pump that can die and put your engine in limp mode. the anything built 2007 or before 2007 can install a bypass relay to avoid the whole thing.

I would cruise the forum i linked to and see read up. 2005-2007 V8 is prob the sweet spot with the revised variable timing, 5 spd trans and avoid the air pump issue.

Good luck!

As a 4th gen owner, I agree with the above knowledgeable poster. I will add that the V6 has a timing chain and the V8 has a timing belt.

Ween't the 3o engine head gaskets replaced under a campaign? My 92 pick up was.

Originally Posted By: NYSteve
Hey Buster,

Good luck!

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

The desirable 4.7L V8 is also non-interference timing belt.

Is this on the 4runner only?; On a Tundra it is an interference motor IIRC.

Huh, you appear to be right--I appear to be wrong. Apparently when it gained VVTI it became interference.

Sorry. All the more reason to be aware of this. The 4.0L V6 is timing chain.

I had a 4th gen (2006 SR5) with the 4.0L. I can confirm that pretty much all of them will need new headgaskets at some point. The 4.0L has plenty of power, but the V8 is smoother. Also, I believe the V8 is full-time AWD where as the V6 was selectable 4WD.

I would avoid the X-REAS suspension if I were you. It's expensive and unnecessary. It came standard on the Sport models and was an option on the Limiteds.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Ween't the 3o engine head gaskets replaced under a campaign? My 92 pick up was.

They were. I did quite a few when I was a Master Tech back in the day. Also, the later 5VZ-FE (3.4 V6) had a headgasket recall from inception through early '97 build engines. The 5VZ-FE was a better engine in the long run.

I still have my '97 5VZ-FE powered 4runner. Nearly 20 years later, and it still runs as good as the day I bought it, even if it does only get driven a couple thousand miles a year at this point.

OP, someone linked to a 4runner website. There is usually good advice to be found there, but also plenty of misinformation, so do your due diligence.

Ironically, I was at my mechanic's shop yesterday. He was replacing the Timing belt/Water Pump on a 2005 Tundra.

The original timing belt made it to 150k, but was in BAD shape. It was only a matter of time....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back