Brake Pads: Toyota OEM Sumitomo VS Akebono Perf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi friends, I'm trying to decide on brake pads for my 2005 4Runner Limited 4WD. Either the OEM Toyota pads made by Sumitomo which have a "FF" friction rating for the front and "EE" (see second last paragraph) for the rear. Or the Akebono Performance pads with a "GG" friction rating.

Both pads have a good reputation. I see low braking temperatures overall, especially considering the Canadian winters. I may not have time/distance to waste getting my pads/rotors up to temperature for desirable friction while performing an emergency stop in the winter.

I'll have to buy front and rear shims for the Toyota pads, the Akebono appear to come with shims. The Toyota OEM Sumitomo pads are ~$40 more per axle, so at least $100 more total after buying Toyota shims and pads from the dealership. I would buy the Akebono pads online and ship to Canada.

Complicating matters, the Toyota Sumitomo pads I require for the rear are PS549, when looking at this thread for 120 series toyotas (very very similar to 4Runners) the poster has a picture of a Toyota Sumitomo PS549 pad with blue painted backing plate and the friction rating is EE, seems a bit low to me, almost like a longevity type compromise from Toyota.
Here is the reference thread : http://www.toyota120.com/html/rear_brake_pads.html

It's a tough call as the Toyota Sumitomo pads cost more and should last longer, but seem to have an unusually low friction rating in the rear. The Akebono Performance pads have higher ultimate friction rating but would they need to build heat to get to that level?

Last edited:
Unless biased for more rear braking power, the rears probably play little into the overall performance equation... And wear much slower as a result.

I like the higher friction characteristic up front, but would consider OE in the rear.

Interesting, I didn't know Sumitomo made brake pads.

Akebono pads are great. Low dust, rotor-friendly and quiet.

Akebono for me. They are OEM for some toyotas (e.g., my avalon) and they wear and break great. Plus, they are GG and cheaper.

Fellow '05 4Runner owner here - purchased new. Once the OEMs wore out, I've used nothing but Akebonos. Great quality. I've been very happy with them (across all vehicles I've installed them on).

FWIW, the rears do get more of a workout on the 4Runner. I go through 1.5 sets of rear pads to every set of fronts.

I love bleeding the rear brakes on my 4R. Turn the key to the on position, press the brake pedal, open the bleeder and let the pump do the work. One crack of the bleeder and you're done. The fronts have to be bled conventionally, though.

You really don't wanna mess with changing the friction rating on one end of a vehicle. I realize a lot of people do and never have an issue. In Europe where people tend to drive more spirited, there were crashes that helped lead to ECE regulation R90. That is why you see some pads for European vehicles with R90 marked on them. Germany will fail a vehicle during inspection if it doesn't have approved brake pads.

How many threads are you going to make about this? Good god it's not rocket science. Just buy the akebonos.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
How many threads are you going to make about this? Good god it's not rocket science. Just buy the akebonos.

I'm just trying to learn and make an informed decision. I have almost come to a decision, I may take your advice.
I didn't know about the ECE regulation R90, I learned something new.

Akebono is very good. I'd try them if you dont like them I am sure they have a return policy and go buy OEM.. but I think it very unlikely you will not like the akebono.

In my experience they are excellent OEM replacement.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll be ordering the Akebono brake pads, can't wait!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
Fellow '05 4Runner owner here - purchased new. Once the OEMs wore out, I've used nothing but Akebonos. Great quality. I've been very happy with them (across all vehicles I've installed them on).

FWIW, the rears do get more of a workout on the 4Runner. I go through 1.5 sets of rear pads to every set of fronts.

I love bleeding the rear brakes on my 4R. Turn the key to the on position, press the brake pedal, open the bleeder and let the pump do the work. One crack of the bleeder and you're done. The fronts have to be bled conventionally, though.

Thanks for the info. I do a full fluid exchange on my brake system every year, basically run 500ml through the lines (per corner) and I'm good to go. I use speed bleeders (one way check valve nipples) and find they are great. I do it yearly because I was trying to prevent the caliper pistons from seizing (removal of any water) but My inner piston (typical) has seized.
Now I am buying some remaufactured calipers for the front as well as all new pads and rotors for all corners.
I am expecting a dramatic improvement as my brakes have been feeling weaker and weaker over the past two years. I can feel a firmness difference in the pedal after my yearly brake fluid exchange so this will be huge for me.

Also, I love my 4Runner! It's exceptional in every regard except for the common piston seizing issue with the front calipers, inside pistons. Hope you don't/haven't had this issue.

Originally Posted By: Bikeman
Originally Posted By: cpayne5

Thanks for the info. I do a full fluid exchange on my brake system every year, basically run 500ml through the lines (per corner) and I'm good to go. I use speed bleeders (one way check valve nipples) and find they are great. I do it yearly because I was trying to prevent the caliper pistons from seizing (removal of any water) but My inner piston (typical) has seized.
Now I am buying some remaufactured calipers for the front as well as all new pads and rotors for all corners.
I am expecting a dramatic improvement as my brakes have been feeling weaker and weaker over the past two years. I can feel a firmness difference in the pedal after my yearly brake fluid exchange so this will be huge for me.

Also, I love my 4Runner! It's exceptional in every regard except for the common piston seizing issue with the front calipers, inside pistons. Hope you don't/haven't had this issue.

Tacomas and tundras get stuck pistons, too. Just threw a set of reman calipers on front of a tacoma. Luckily they're pretty cheap for this application.

Yeah, the 4R has been a great vehicle. 120k on ours right now.

Two years ago I did have one of the front calipers lock up. Knowing about the issues with these calipers, I chose to rebuild them myself. I just didn't want to buy remans (they are expensive) just to have the same issue shortly thereafter, so I bought all the seals and a few replacement pistons and rebuilt them. I media blasted and painted them during the process also.

Just last week I replaced the rear calipers. The rear wheels had been getting warm, so I knew it was time. I used remans for these.

At 88k, I had symptoms of the headgasket failure that was not uncommon for the early 4.0s. I replaced the HGs at that time (5 years ago).

I'm constantly fighting rust with this 4R. Not on the body, but pretty much everywhere else. Mostly surface rust, but it still bugs me. I take a wire brush and a can of semi gloss black to it everytime it's on my lift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back