Panther rear end swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
How fast did these cars rot? Looking last night I found this and it's kinda scary how far gone that is, for a low mile 2009. [At least the seller was nice and put that in!]

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
You mean the car that probably spent its entire life in York BEACH, being bathed in SALT air every day?!

True, true... I didn't think to look at location, other than Maine.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
A friend of mine just got his 2005 P71 back on the road after having a pinion bearing let go. His had the factory 31 spline axles so he ordered the FRPP Trak-loc with carbon clutches and F-150 S-spring. The gears were damaged so he swapped in a set of 3.55s from another 8.8 he had laying around. Going to try and get one of the techs at work to reprogram the as-built data with an IDS to correct the speedo and get rid of the ding at 75mph.

Lemme know if he is able to do it with the IDS. I have a friend with a 2011 that wants to put 3.27s in his 2.73 car.
Im getting ready to put those carbon clutches and F150 spring in my P71. Hopefully that will keep me from getting stuck on ice with the standard clutches and s-spring.
Well, maybe Ill still get stuck but if it spins both tires and doesn't just become an open diff because theres no torque to latch the clutches, Ill be happy.

We got stuck in the ceiling fan. The option to change the gear ratio was not present under "programmable parameters" like it should have been. I tried to do a PCM update since there was one available, but the IDS we were using would not connect to WiFi. Got to use the new bluetooth VCM which was pretty cool, but it would have been faster using a hard wired connection.

Ah, I think I figured out how to tell from pictures if it's HPP or not: HPP's got fancy wheels, at least on the GM. Otherwise it's plain(er) alloy or steelies with covers.

Originally Posted By: wheelman1991
Hpp cars had dual exhaust, "plain Jane" cars only had a single pipe.

I do my shopping online, very hard to see exhaust tips in most photos.

I know you can't see it when looking at the car, but HPP had more than just wheels, 3.27's and exhaust. It also included stiffer front springs (550lb/in), auto leveling rear air springs and upgraded swaybars (21mm rear).

I realize that, but mostly interested in the "more proper" gear ratio. Lots of hills around here.

Don't want to drive an hour (plus?) in order to realize it's the lo-po 2.73's. Nor pay big bucks for a performance edition. Anything at this age is not far from needing a transmission, so I'm not interesting in paying a nice figure and then dropping "lots" in repairs and upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back