PCV hose with grainy sludge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was cleaning the inside of the pcv hose in my car with an Psa Ew10J4 engine and the brownish sludge was grainy like sand. Would that be just granulated oil oxidation or it means there's sand mixed with the sludge. Air filtration always top notch. Hard to believe it is sand, but it feels like it.

Agree it's probably hardened sludge but if it's sand-like (ie brown crystalline stuff), it might just be phenolic antioxidant that's been purged from the oil.

In my case the hose is fine, flexible, integral, oveall good plastic quality, and pretty long ramified and expensive. Just wont replace an item because its dirty, but the grainy consistency of the stuff make me wonder if that is the same of oxidised oil you fell rubbing in in the fingers, when sampled from the dipstick.
And the dirt is about the firt 1/4 on its lenght, maybe the annular design helps to keep the end clean.

By the way, the car ran on dino, for most of its life, now, with synthetic, the filty sludge is running out of the head cover to the hose, like purging. I think it is the solvency charactrristics of syn oil is cleaning and the vacuum is sucking it out to the hose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back