Marvel Mystery Oil revealed ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Havn't used it. Don't think I ever saw it in the UK, and certainly havn't here.

Nothing against it in principle, but it seems to me, if you want to put lard in your engine, then you put lard in your engine.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
FWIW, the Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner that is slightly cheaper than the PEA-laden Fuel System Cleaner has a div>

The stoddard solvent is just the solvent carrier for the PEA.

NTSB comes to a lot of half-baked conclusions, so I'm not sure that I'd give too much weight to anything published by them.
I've never used MMO, but there are serious long-time members of this site who swear by it as both a fuel add and a cleaner add in engine oil, so who knows?

Originally Posted By: KingCake
FWIW, the Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner that is slightly cheaper than the PEA-laden Fuel System Cleaner has a div>

The stoddard solvent is just the solvent carrier for the PEA.

I have to correct myself here...I just looked up the latest MSDS for the products mentioned above.
The Fuel Injector Cleaner now shows that it is 70-99% light distillates, 3-7% 01154100-5179P (which I tentatively identified as the PEA previously), and 0.1-1% a new trade secret ingredient coded as 01154100-5323P.
The Fuel System Cleaner is now shown as 25-75% light distillates, 30-60% 5179P/PEA, 1-5% 5323P, and 0.5-1.5% naptha.

"25-75% light distillates"

So plus or minus 50% percent. Pretty tight and consistent quality control then.

Or is that the amount of "noise" they are allowed to get away with when reporting the numbers?

If you think about it it is unlikely they would ever tell the exact formula.

I don't know about MMO, but in my biz they are allowed to claim secrecy on MDS sheets to avoid helping competitors...

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Or is that the amount of "noise" they are allowed to get away with when reporting the numbers?

Seems like companies are allowed to give the percentages in bizarrely wide ranges in these sheets so they can avoid giving away their exact formula.
Like the older one that said less than 50% of Stoddard solvent...well, that can be 0%, too!
FWIW, the name Stoddard in that solvent comes from a dry cleaner who helps develop the formula...it was originally developed to replace more dangerous dry cleaning fluids and was used for that purpose for decades.

Last edited:

Seems like companies are allowed to give the percentages in bizarrely wide ranges in these sheets so they can avoid giving away their exact formula.
Like the older one that said less than 50% of Stoddard solvent...well, that can be 0%, too!

I used to write MSDS at a previous job, trust me when I say no company gives away trade secrets in those sheets. They are strictly for firefighters, shippers and emergency responders, and are specifically written for those groups.

Moreover, if you can intentionally deceive your competitors by the description (yet truthfully describe for a firefighter) then all the better.

MolaKule
01.gif

And then this data gets moved into Haz Comm systems around the industrial site and used in pre job "Toolbox Talks"
(Operative word being safety) ...
Some of the detective work and sharing of knowledge gets interesting here - like the posting saying Mobil never had or will have mPAO - but it is on their public website ...

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Lab Analysis of MMO COmponents

Can you confirm the lard?

I suppose the phosphorus could be lard phospholipid, but you might need GC/GLC/HPLC to confirm.
Heh heh, Maybe they should make a high Cholesterol version for older cars.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
FWIW---one of my experiences with MMO; had a 70 Cougar with the 351C-4V & 4 speed which was quite a rare combo--always had valve 'issues' prolly from me over-revving the poor beast ---> used to bend random pushrods. On the advice of a then very old mechanic, I added MMO to the oil and the bent pushrods stopped. Well, I kept adding it with every oil change. In the mid-eighties leaded fuel disappeared and there were no lead substitutes on the market--in went approx. 4 oz of MMO in every premium unleaded tank of fuel.
Drove the car for 14 years and ended up with 140K, which was unusual for that vintage car. IMO it would not have lived that long without MMO.
BTW, I heard chlorinated solvents are leaving the market in 2017, so even though I have no use for MMO today, I purchased 10 bottles--which should be a lifetime supply.
Steve

Originally Posted By: steve20
FWIW---one of my experiences with MMO; had a 70 Cougar with the 351C-4V & 4 speed which was quite a rare combo--always had valve 'issues' prolly from me over-revving the poor beast ---> used to bend random pushrods. On the advice of a then very old mechanic, I added MMO to the oil and the bent pushrods stopped. Well, I kept adding it with every oil change. In the mid-eighties leaded fuel disappeared and there were no lead substitutes on the market--in went approx. 4 oz of MMO in every premium unleaded tank of fuel.
Drove the car for 14 years and ended up with 140K, which was unusual for that vintage car. IMO it would not have lived that long without MMO.
BTW, I heard chlorinated solvents are leaving the market in 2017, so even though I have no use for MMO today, I purchased 10 bottles--which should be a lifetime supply.
Steve

Wow, I had no idea that MMO was used as a lead substitute...learned something new today!

Me neither. Out of all the marvel-ous benefits listed on their website that isn't one of them. Steve should send in a testimonial, maybe he'll get a hat or something.

Originally Posted By: steve20
Steve

Wow, I had no idea that MMO was used as a lead substitute...learned something new today!

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Lab Analysis of MMO COmponents

Can you confirm the lard?

I suppose the phosphorus could be lard phospholipid, but you might need GC/GLC/HPLC to confirm.

You're joking, right?
confused2.gif

Last edited:
For engines,Liquimoly Motor Oil Saver is BOSS. It cleans up an engine and seals leaks and helps TBN. If your looking for a cleaning right before oci then Gumout Multitune with PEA is the way to go.Follow as directed and use rest in gas tank.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
For engines,Liquimoly Motor Oil Saver is BOSS. It cleans up an engine and seals leaks and helps TBN. If your looking for a cleaning right before oci then Gumout Multitune with PEA is the way to go.Follow as directed and use rest in gas tank.

LM Motor Oil Saver was not designed to clean up an engine, it is a stop leak additive. If you want to clean up an engine they do make several different flush additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back