Purolator boss, pure 1 vs napa/wix vs fram ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using the fram ultra filters but I don't ever take my vehicles to the full 15k limit. I'm basically just wondering how each of these filters ranks against the others. What would your opinions be on best to worst?

The standard Wix/Napa Gold is a good filter for standard intervals, they're 95% efficient at 20 microns and use a blended media.

Fram Ultras are much higher end with 99.9% efficiency at 20 microns and 80% at 5 microns using full microglass media they have much higher holding capacity than standard filters which is why they're rated for up to 15,000 miles.

The boss is pretty new so we need more information and time of see if Purolator got their act together.

Fram Ultra is a good filter Napa/Wix is still ok but don't forget they sold out a while back so you have to watch them. Someone just posted a boss with torn anti drainback valve.

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
What would your opinions be on best to worst?

Depends on what you're looking for out of the oil filter. Of the 4 you list, I'd go:

#1 = Ultra
#2 = NAPA Gold/WIX (not the Platinum/XP)
#3 = PureOne (but there really isn't a "PureOne" anymore ... it's now called "ONE")
#4 = Boss (less efficient than the "ONE") [LINK] Data Here

Too soon to tell about the Purolator filter, given their past history I'll pass. In a few years we should know, I'll read all about it here. I won't be using one. Of the remaining filters mentioned the Ultra would be my first choice, followed by the Wix. NAPA is not in my area so it wouldn't be a choice.

What is the platinum?

The NAPA Platinum is the same as the WIX XP ... and both are their full synthetic media filters.

I've been using the fram ultra filters but I don't ever take my vehicles to the full 15k limit. I'm basically just wondering how each of these filters ranks against the others. What would your opinions be on best to worst?

Why aren't Mobil 1 filters on this list?

So how would the platinum rate?

#5 if you care about efficiency.

The platinum is worse than the gold?

just in effiecieny but not build , they are both solid

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
What is the platinum?

The NAPA Platinum is the same as the WIX XP ... and both are their full synthetic media filters.

Yesm the platinum is on sale starting at 8.99 at napa now

Just pick any oil filter from a major manufacture that has a good record on no or minimum failures the air filter is the most important filter on an engine sorry to say.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Fram Ultras are much higher end with 99.9% efficiency at 20 microns and 80% at 5 microns using full microglass media they have much higher holding capacity than standard filters which is why they're rated for up to 15,000 miles.

1) Are you sure about this verbal information, including those obtained from the representatives of Fram… The www.fram.com says ONLY about 99%@20u (that is 10x less !!!!): http://www.fram.com/oil-filters/fram-ultra-synthetic-oil-filter.aspx#1
2) I wonder what's the difference (in practice) in wear: 99.9%@20u, 99%@20u, 96%@20u ?

Originally Posted By: Izb
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

1) Are you sure about this verbal information, including those obtained from the representatives of Fram… The www.fram.com says ONLY about 99%@20u (that is 10x less !!!!): http://www.fram.com/oil-filters/fram-ultra-synthetic-oil-filter.aspx#1
2) I wonder what's the difference (in practice) in wear: 99.9%@20u, 99%@20u, 96%@20u ?

Fram says "99+%" for the Ultra. 901Memphis has said a few times now that Fram will be updating the spec on the Ultra soon to show it at 99.9% instead of 99+%.

99% is not 10x less than 99.9% ... 10x less than 99.9% would be 1/10th of 99.9 = 9.99 ... call it 10 (just like 10 is 10 times less than 100).

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Fram says "99+%" for the Ultra. 901Memphis has said a few times now that Fram will be updating the spec on the Ultra soon to show it at 99.9% instead of 99+%.

99% is not 10x less than 99.9% ... 10x less than 99.9% would be 1/10th of 99.9 = 9.99 ... call it 10 (just like 10 is 10 times less than 100).

- Unknown marceter from Fram said "99+%". Is it better or worse then "99*%" or "99&%"? No useful information for customers.
- From which date Fram Ultra oil filters(by the way, with the same partnumber for orders) will have 99.9% instead of 99%?

Last edited:
When they test the filters for full capacity over 12k+ miles, or about 200 hours of steady highway use equivalent, instead of packing it into four hours use, then I will put some weight to differences in %. Oil circulating through the filter for fifty four hour tests is not the same as circulating through one four hour test. In real life a filter isn't usually clogged in four hours use, or about 250 miles on the highway at 60 mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back