Purolator Boss 10241, 5310 miles C&P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, did my pre road trip oil change on the 4Runner today. Truck had 5009 miles on this oil change according to the ODO which is ~6% slow so actual miles on this OCI is 5310, 183 hours of total run time of which 53 are idle hours. Oil used was Lubro Moly (Liqui Moly) 10w40 MOS2. ADBV was cut through in 2 places by the baseplate and had 3 total cuts in it ( 1 didn't make it all the way through) the baseplate holes were razor sharp so I'm not surprised it was cut.

The filter was part of an oil change special that I got a while ago so I figured what the heck, I'll use it. There was little to nothing in the media, could've stayed in service longer. The only thing wrong with the filter was the ADBV, media was sturdy and intact "wire backing" was a cloth mesh as pictured. Loovers are relatively small but there are a ton of them, in each row of loovers one set of holes faces the baseplate the other faces the dome, makes the center tube unidirectional I suppose. I certainly won't be going out of my way to buy a Boss anytime soon...

Purolator seems to have traded tearing media for cut ADBVs.

Strange that there was little to nothing caught in the media after 5000 miles on an engine with over 317.000 miles... Im wondering if it spent a lot of time in bypass due to the heavy oil and those tiny louvers..
As for the torn anti drainback valve that seems to be very common with these filters.. I run away from anything made by them..
The only good thing about them is the paint job everything else seems to be a problem.

Use a quality filter next time..

Purolator says "we will fix tearing issue" and leave burrs in baseplate instead!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Low Blow? Read some of my previous posts some laughed and some jumped up and down but look at what is being posted it's all coming out..Believe what you want but look at what people are posting... Some filters are full of problems.

I have had oil filters look like theres nothing on them too. I dont just use purolator. I use Suptertech, purolator, WIX, fram, CQ blue, MAHLE. If you use synthetic it will usually come out like that! Just because it has louvers doesnt mean [censored].

I guess it is my eyes, because the filter looks black, and it started out white and fluffy. When the inside parts are pressed together the cuts probably don't leak, being rubber and all.

Yeah... The cartridge filter in my 390,000 mile 750i always came out a dark brown with no debris as well... Must have been running in bypass, right?

I can't believe the [censored] that gets posted here sometimes. I wonder why oil and filters turn dark... contaminants maybe? I can't be sure. :screwy:

Nice C&P OP. I'd use the filter if I got it as a part of a deal. Little slits in the ADV don't stress me out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Yeah... The cartridge filter in my 390,000 mile 750i always came out a dark brown with no debris as well... Must have been running in bypass, right?

I can't believe the [censored] that gets posted here sometimes. I wonder why oil and filters turn dark... contaminants maybe? I can't be sure. :screwy:

Nice C&P OP. I'd use the filter if I got it as a part of a deal. Little slits in the ADV don't stress me out.

Agreed

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
those tiny louvers..

If you think those louvers are tiny, you should see the average main or rod bearing oil clearance
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
those tiny louvers..

If you think those louvers are tiny, you should see the average main or rod bearing oil clearance
lol.gif

Well he's claimed that he owned a shop and now his brother has a shop. I'm sure both of them have torn down many engines so realistically he should know small that clearance is.

Filter media looks good. Crazyoildude can you explain a quality filter to me?

Strange that there was little to nothing caught in the media after 5000 miles on an engine with over 317.000 miles... Im wondering if it spent a lot of time in bypass due to the heavy oil and those tiny louvers. ...
Not strange at all. Engines in decent shape don't provide as much junk as you imagine for the oil filter to capture. The "tiny louvers" look ample, considering the number of them.

Little slits in the ADV don't stress me out.

Cut up ADBVs don't bother you? ... hummm. Might as well throw in some torn media too.
grin.gif

those tiny louvers..

lol.gif

Not a very good analogy, as the filter supplies the whole engine's oil flow volume, not just a tight bearing or two. Some engines flow 10~12 GPM at high revs.

Notice from other postings the OP has changed the oil often at 3k or less several times with several good makes of oil from surplus - Valvoline etc - and think I saw a run on Delvac 1 ...
I'd be inclined to think that motor only got cleaner during that period.
The UOA's were getting better on metals ...

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Little slits in the ADV don't stress me out.

Cut up ADBVs don't bother you? ... hummm. Might as well throw in some torn media too.
grin.gif

Have we seen any proof that there is any detriment to its function, or is it all just speculation?

Did the OP have startup rattle? Was the filter empty when removed?

those tiny louvers..

lol.gif

Not a very good analogy, as the filter supplies the whole engine's oil flow volume, not just a tight bearing or two. Some engines flow 10~12 GPM at high revs.

Is the area of the open louvers greater than the holes into/out of the filter? Methinks so...

Last edited:
Is the area of the open louvers greater than the holes into/out of the filter? Methinks so...

Didn't say it wasn't ... I said the analogy of comparing tight bearings to louvers was bad because the filter is meant to flow ALL the oil the engine used, not just oil to a few tight bearings.

And IF the louvers aren't opened very far (which have been seen many times posted in this forum), they certainly could cause some added flow resistance and delta-p across the filter because their area isn't equal to or greater then the other flow holes in the filter.

Would you use these filters?

Didn't say it wasn't ... I said the analogy of comparing tight bearings to louvers was bad because the filter is meant to flow ALL the oil the engine used, not just oil to a few tight bearings.

And IF the louvers aren't opened very far (which have been seen many times posted in this forum), they certainly could cause some added flow resistance and delta-p across the filter because their area isn't equal to or greater then the other flow holes in the filter.

Would you use these filters?

No, I wouldn't... But that's not what the OP's louvers look like.

No, I wouldn't... But that's not what the OP's louvers look like.

Didn't say the OP had bad louvers ... but I am saying that louvers need to be formed correctly or there certainly could be a problem. Some people think all louvers are made the same, but they certainly are not. You get some louvers like in the photos I showed above and it could cause the filter to go into bypass when it really shouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back