Cracked Flex Plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC1

Hi Guys,

I was looking at a local Kijiji ad for a Dodge Journey with a cracked flex plate. Owner is selling it and says he's got a quote from a local tranny shop of $600 to replace the cracked flex plate.

How long could you drive with a cracked flex plate before you should repair it? Would you risk damaging the tranny if part of that flex plate gets loose?

I'm just curious.

Here is the ad for the car. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/oshaw...gationFlag=true

For the price and year of the vehicle it sounds too good to be true of a price based on local comparible vehicles. Also sounds fishy since the posted indicates they bought it last December. I don't know about you guys, but I normally keep my vehicles longer than 10 months.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Won't drive it long. Once it completely breaks there will be no connection between the engine and trans

Thanks Chris.

Seems odd that a nicer vehicle like that isn't fixed first before selling. The repair cost is about 10% of the purchase price. If someone is going to upgrade vehicles you would think they would have the $600 to fix the current ride.

Usually when a used car is broken the seller will say it's an easy fix for $100 which is the part price only. At least here they give the part and labour price plus the name of the shop. But maybe they want a full size suv like a Tahoe and really need more towing capacity. I bet the guy will sell it for $6k maybe even $5500. If it's front wheel drive and not all wheel drive I'd be even more tempted. Since the drivetrain has a lot less complexity.

Yes with a late model car you would get your $600 back by fixing it before selling.

Unless there is something more major wrong.

Won't drive it long. Once it completely breaks there will be no connection between the engine and trans

I guess I am confused; isn't the flexplate the thing the starter engages? Isn't the crank attached to the torque convertor?

The last engine I cracked open was in 1987; it was a 350 buick.

I guess i'm off researching this....

Last edited:
That car has a ton of miles for a 2011. Last time I heard the noise the person is describing was on a Mitsubishi, and the transmission started slipping a couple weeks later randomly.

The crank and flexplate are bolted together in the center.The torque converter
bolts around the outer circle and also contains the starter ring gear (sometimes),the torque converter then plugs into the front pump of the tranny.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
That car has a ton of miles for a 2011. Last time I heard the noise the person is describing was on a Mitsubishi, and the transmission started slipping a couple weeks later randomly.

Yes it sounds kind of fishy. I emailed the guy, bit I'm nowhere in the market to buy something.

Seller also says because it's a private sale there's no tax to pay. That's an outright lie. I'm sure someone's gonna buy it this weekend unless it's a paypal scam.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

I guess I am confused; isn't the flexplate the thing the starter engages? Isn't the crank attached to the torque convertor?

The last engine I cracked open was in 1987; it was a 350 buick.

I guess i'm off researching this....

A flex plate connects the torque converter to the crankshaft. There is usually a larger gear attached that is used by a starter. Lots of information out there; Google, YouTube, etc.

I'll admit that I did not look up blue book, but that price sounds too high for the age and miles. Journey's are not hot sellers... not say they are bad - I would buy one. $600 is not a bad price for the repair - if you are capable, its a one day repair. of course, I would validate the diagnosis. I would imagine that you could find a lower-mileage Journey for a similar price. I'm guessing that they paid too much and financed it; so they cant/wont pay for the repair. oh, as far as your original question: it depends where it is cracked; but I would repair it -

Last edited:
KBB shows the bluebook about 7k with that mileage but only in excellent condition. However, the vehicle has been used for towing,

"Has a class 3 hitch installed and a 4 pin wiring harness. Only used to tow a small tent trailer this year camping."

Haaaa! sure it has. Sounds like a true used car salesman to me. Run Forest Run!

Point one is flex plate diagnosis over the internet is likely difficult and unreliable. Must see in person in order to be clear. And often mis-diagnosed by folks IME.

When there are so many used cars why obsess over one when it's not a collector car or a one of a kind...

Originally Posted By: funflyer
KBB shows the bluebook about 7k with that mileage but only in excellent condition. However, the vehicle has been used for towing,

"Has a class 3 hitch installed and a 4 pin wiring harness. Only used to tow a small tent trailer this year camping."

Haaaa! sure it has. Sounds like a true used car salesman to me. Run Forest Run!

Well I guess we know why it has powertrain issues lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back