super tech oil filter good for 5,000mi intervals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed my oil with super tech oil and filter.

I'm wondering if the super tech filter is capable of doing its job for a 5,000 mile change interval.

Also here in Houston I typically run 5w30 in the winter but decided to stick with 10w30 so I'm not constantly changing things up I like to keep things as constant as possible. When is it definitely too cold to run 10w30?

Originally Posted By: TexasTea
Just changed my oil with super tech oil and filter.

I'm wondering if the super tech filter is capable of doing its job for a 5,000 mile change interval.

Also here in Houston I typically run 5w30 in the winter but decided to stick with 10w30 so I'm not constantly changing things up I like to keep things as constant as possible. When is it definitely too cold to run 10w30?

You should be good to go. Cut open the filter once your OCI is done to see how it held up. A 5K OCI is the new 3K these days.

You don't often get below freezing for any amount of time in the Log Horn state so I wouldn't worry about 10w30. I will be in the RGV end of the month.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
You don't often get below freezing for any amount of time in the Log Horn state so I wouldn't worry about 10w30. I will be in the RGV end of the month.

+1. And ST filter is more than capable of making 5k

Yes. It is very capable of 5k. Remember, the ST is made by Wix and the same as Napa Proselect
smile.gif

Sure it's fine.
I don't use filters like that only because I have a remote filter location that is a PIA to access.
But on the easy to get to cars- no problem.

10W30 motor oil is good down past -5F.
The ST filter is guaranteed to perform as per the original manufacturer's specifications. This specification should be listed in your owner's manual.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TexasTea
When is it definitely too cold to run 10w30?

My 1992 Oldsmobile manual says 10W-30 is good from zero degrees fahrenheit and above.

5000 should be ok they did seem to look like a good filter i cut a couple open but remember Wix was purchased by Mann & Hummel the makers of purolater so look them over very carefully sooner or later im sure they will change something to save money..

I'm 5000 miles into Supertech synthetic and a Supertech filter in the Cherokee!

I don't imagine I'm going to have time to change it before 6500.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
In my opinion, any oil filter these days is good to 5,000.

Yep.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
It is definitely not too cold to run 10w30 at 0 degrees F.

That's GTL oil. It tends to retain better flow characteristics when cold compared to conventional base stock.

It'll never get cold enough to matter there, you can run 10W-30 year round if you like without issues. Both are the same exact viscosity at operating temps though so it doesn't really matter. Go with whatever's on sale is what I'd do and run it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back