2016 Nissan Murano

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was very surprised to hear that the new Murano uses Dino oil VS synthetic. but no surprise to see 0W20 for fuel mileage. 5W30 can be used in warmer climates and wondering if in NC the 5w30 is the better choice.

anyone know why Nissan went back to regular oil?

thanks.

Last edited:
Nissan seems to be about the cheapest lease for 3 years. Giving the option of 5w-30 keeps services down, which means that the service on your $99/mo lease is even cheaper.

keeping the service cost cheaper is what the salesman said. The vehicle has an extended warranty, but still curious as to why Dino instead of synth besides cost. for a long time the push was synthetics. I`ve continued to run synths in the Titan and the Frontier due to the VVT, why would the 3.5 same engine used in the Maxima be any different?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PaleRider
I was very surprised to hear that the new Murano uses Dino oil VS synthetic. but no surprise to see 0W20 for fuel mileage. 5W30 can be used in warmer climates and wondering if in NC the 5w30 is the better choice.

thanks.
Yes. What is the big whoop about syn oil?

Your owner's manual says nothing about dino vs synthetic. It recommends 0W-20. They have to recommend that because that is what they used when certifying the mileage for the EPA. It also says that 5W-30 will "satisfy" the warranty requirements.

The dealership uses 5W-30 because that's what they have in huge bulk tanks, and they don't want to shock owners with the cost of a synthetic oil change. Perhaps as more vehicles are specified for 0W-20, they will add a bulk tank for it - but don't hold your breath.

Nissan has never recommended, or prohibited, synthetic. They "recommend" whatever they use while certifying, because that's what the government requires them to do. But good luck finding a dino 0W-20!!

I got 3 years of free oil changes by pre-ordering my car. When I called to schedule my first change, I asked what they would be using and was told 5W-30. If I wanted 0W-20, I could pay up for them to buy bottled oil, or bring my own. I brought my own. Since the dealership is a 90 mile round trip, I haven't been back. No need to incur the time and expense of driving 90 miles for them to pour in my 0W-20, when I can do it myself in 15 minutes.

Originally Posted By: gizzsdad
Your owner's manual says nothing about dino vs synthetic. It recommends 0W-20. They have to recommend that because that is what they used when certifying the mileage for the EPA. It also says that 5W-30 will "satisfy" the warranty requirements.

The dealership uses 5W-30 because that's what they have in huge bulk tanks, and they don't want to shock owners with the cost of a synthetic oil change. Perhaps as more vehicles are specified for 0W-20, they will add a bulk tank for it - but don't hold your breath.

Nissan has never recommended, or prohibited, synthetic. They "recommend" whatever they use while certifying, because that's what the government requires them to do. But good luck finding a dino 0W-20!!

I got 3 years of free oil changes by pre-ordering my car. When I called to schedule my first change, I asked what they would be using and was told 5W-30. If I wanted 0W-20, I could pay up for them to buy bottled oil, or bring my own. I brought my own. Since the dealership is a 90 mile round trip, I haven't been back. No need to incur the time and expense of driving 90 miles for them to pour in my 0W-20, when I can do it myself in 15 minutes.

Thank you gizzsdad.

yes, that`s what the dealership told me. They use M1 synth for 5w30. I`ll ask what oil they will use when it comes time for the 1st service in a few months.
truth I never even thought about the 0w20 being a synth only since it`s been a few years since we needed that. I`d be happy to run the 5w30 being we had the hottest summer here in years.

almost same scenario: dealer is 168 miles round trip. free oil changes for 3 years. but we frequent the area several times of year so scheduling could be coordinated. in the past I`ve disregarded the free oil changes, but for this one I`ll take them up on it. This dealer has treated us well over the years and have zero issues with any of their departments. I guess that`s what had us drive back to the old neighborhood to purchase yet another Nissan.
from nissan frontier OM> *10: NISSAN recommends the use of Genuine NISSAN Ester Oil, available at a NISSAN dealer.
but it does not say Nissan Ester oil for the Titan, not that I can find.

yes, that`s what the dealership told me. They use M1 synth for 5w30. I`ll ask what oil they will use when it comes time for the 1st service in a few months.
truth I never even thought about the 0w20 being a synth only since it`s been a few years since we needed that. I`d be happy to run the 5w30 being we had the hottest summer here in years.

almost same scenario: dealer is 168 miles round trip. free oil changes for 3 years. but we frequent the area several times of year so scheduling could be coordinated. in the past I`ve disregarded the free oil changes, but for this one I`ll take them up on it. This dealer has treated us well over the years and have zero issues with any of their departments. I guess that`s what had us drive back to the old neighborhood to purchase yet another Nissan.

M1 5W30 synth has been good for me when parking outside overnight through some very cold White Mountain ski trips, so I think it will be a good winter oil for you even if you move further North.
I have been sticking with 5W30 while under warranty since that's what Subaru recommends for my FXT...I will be past 60kmiles soon and MIGHT go with a 0W30+ at that point, but it'll have to be a low calcium formulation with NOACK results at least comparable to M1 5W30's ~10%. I am honestly not sure such an oil is easily available in the US...

Last edited:
Run a good 5w30.

Most all US syns are Dino. Its not a spec. Does the Syn meet a tougher spec? NO.

Is group III swill. "conventional" is likely grp II+III + some Ester.

There ARE NO conventional ILSAC GF5 oil!!!

North Carolina isn't hot. Your engine has a cooling system with a thermostat, it doesn't care about the outside temperatures.

Although if it were me and they allowed 5w30 I'd use that.

Originally Posted By: CT8

thanks.
Yes. What is the big whoop about syn oil?

While leasing an Infiniti M37 Sport for 36 months, the service oil was GTX Synblend 5W30. That thing ran like a champ when we turned it in with 50K plus, miles. Not one misstep from that wonderful VQ-series V6.

keeping the service cost cheaper is what the salesman said.

You constantly read on bitog how cheaply synthetics can be had, "sometimes for the same or less than conventionals".
I'm sure if the OEM wanted to, they could get those same "deals". I don't buy the economics of this argument by the Salesman. The explanation of 0W20 for the purpose of CAFE is absolutely plausible.

Originally Posted By: wemay
keeping the service cost cheaper is what the salesman said.

You constantly read on bitog how cheaply synthetics can be had, "sometimes for the same or less than conventionals".
I'm sure if the OEM wanted to, they could get those same "deals". I don't buy the economics of this argument by the Salesman. The explanation of 0W20 for the purpose of CAFE is absolutely plausible.

maybe he was referring to the people that pay for services and not the free oil services. giving them the lower cost option.
I always thought that synths gave better protection with these new tighter tolerance more demanding engines.

I`m also a fan of the current louvered OEM Nissan filters with the exception of using a CQ premium for quieting down the start up noises on the frontier. Also what I thought was most peculiar is that V synpower was more quieter than Amsoil XL in the same grade of 5w30.

not sure who now makes the CQ premiums, but with this latest OCI on the frontier, the chain tensioner/start up noises were not as quiet as previously used CQ filters. The only other variable is that Amsoil XL was in the sump now. also why wasn`t 0w30 and option accepted by Nissan for the Murano?

0w30 is a rare beast If they suggest ILSAC GF-4,5,6 in a 20 or 30 grade; of course 0w30 is a 30 grade oil and zero-UU is just for the coldest expected unassisted winter climate start.
Maybe only for the frozen hinterlunds, or, if you are partuial to that formulation ( remember when M1 0W30 was the cats meow, when it was a true synthetic formulation?

Maybe you'll like a zero-UU in Michigan or Maine as the phony syn 5W-Xx will likely become a 10W-Xx in 3000 miles.

Yes it will.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back