Easy DIY Rusproofing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buck91
joegreen, did you know fluid film is available in bulk gallons and actually sprays on "thicker" than the aerosols?
yes I am very aware of the different thicker non aerosol bulk fluid film. I like the cans for easy application for small things around the house. I decided see how far a can would go on the vehicle but it didn't go far.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Not homemade and not cheap but great stuff it's resistance to salt spray is very impressive. I recently used it.

https://www.theruststore.com/CortecProduct.aspx?ProductId=82&CategoryId=28

I sprayed a lot of vehicles with Corban 22, 23 for inside , 27 and 35 underbody and the stuff you posted, some as long as 8 years ago and its still hanging in there on the summer drivers and 4-5 yrs on all season driven ones before needing a recoat.

Its far from just wax and mineral spirits, you cant home brew this stuff. The salt spray test is many times greater longevity then even 3M body and cavity.
Fluid film is a low performance DIY product and in no way even comes close to either of these two products.

http://www.dge-europe.com/fileadmin/files/pdf/Zip_Chem/Zip_Chem_Catalog.pdf

I'm going to do this for my girlfriends wrangler, since almost nothing seems to be able to keep it from rusting. The million dollar question is; put it in my Wagner paint gun or my pesticide sprayer.

Originally Posted By: gomes512

Your resale value will be through the roof, enjoy!

If you put your finger on it how easily would you say it smears?

I laid down 32oz on my girlfriends Jeep. I need a better mask.

Originally Posted By: Shark
I'm going to do this for my girlfriends wrangler, since almost nothing seems to be able to keep it from rusting. The million dollar question is; put it in my Wagner paint gun or my pesticide sprayer.

Will the material spray through a pesticide sprayer? I was thinking of trying it for touch up work during an oil change instead of using spray bombs. It would be easier than setting up the sprayer and gun.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Shark

Will the material spray through a pesticide sprayer? I was thinking of trying it for touch up work during an oil change instead of using spray bombs. It would be easier than setting up the sprayer and gun.

Once you heat it up and get the liquid clear it would definitely go through one.

I'm bumping this back up for a update. I sprayed my trucks frame using this formula 3 years ago. I just scraped the side of the frame and there's still a layer of wax stubbornly adhering to the frame after 3 New Hampshire winters. I didn't use a spray bottle, but used compressor and rusfre gun to apply. This is the route I would probably go if I buy a new vehicle.

Originally Posted By: stenerson
I'm bumping this back up for a update. I sprayed my trucks frame using this formula 3 years ago. I just scraped the side of the frame and there's still a layer of wax stubbornly adhering to the frame after 3 New Hampshire winters. I didn't use a spray bottle, but used compressor and rusfre gun to apply. This is the route I would probably go if I buy a new vehicle.

What formula?

I am not sure any wax formula is good for a cavity but might be best for the undercarriage.

Is the formula similar to Waxoyl?

Originally Posted By: Donald
What formula?

I am not sure any wax formula is good for a cavity but might be best for the undercarriage.

Is the formula similar to Waxoyl?

Sorry.....I was referring to the Original Post,
1. Mineral Spirits
2. Paraffin Wax
3. SAE 30 Non-detergent motor oil

heated up, melted and applied. I'm not sure if waxoyl uses same formula, but judging by it's name it might be comparable. ( they supposedly use chemical rust inhibitors suspended in wax).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back