P 700
Zn 809
Mo 41
B 80

Vis 11.1
Soot 0.4%
TAN 3.27 down from 3.64
TBN 4.4 up from 4.0

Midway thru this cycle I deleted emissions, got new exhaust system and hp/torque cranked up ~10%. MPG is up 10%
I'm almost out of D1 LE so next change I'll use D1 SHC 5W40 and try 15Kmi OCI since it has TBN=16

Charlie

Not another air pollution fan!

Not sure what the legal situation is in the US as it varies from state to state, but removing emissions control equipment is an illegal act in the EU or UK. It often invalidates the insurance policy if it is not approved as an engine modification. You can get an approval for track use but not for public roads from most insurers.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

Not sure what the legal situation is in the US as it varies from state to state, but removing emissions control equipment is an illegal act in the EU or UK. It often invalidates the insurance policy if it is not approved as an engine modification. You can get an approval for track use but not for public roads from most insurers.

Hey, this isn't the UK and our laws aren't the same!

Let it burn, baby! :p

What is the longest lasting most planet threatening emission product?
Soot that falls to the soil in a few hours and isn't an issue in my area?
NOx that quickly decomposes and does NOT form photochemical smaog in my area?
Or CO2 that lasts for thousands of years and threatens to melt the polar icesheets and raise sea level over 100m?
My modification produces 10% LESS CO2 than previously.
NOx and soot are local pollutants, CO2 is a planetwide pollutant. The car is in Alaska, not in London. So I am doing the planet a favor.
Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie

Or CO2 that lasts for thousands of years and threatens to melt the polar icesheets and raise sea level over 100m?
NOx and soot are local pollutants, CO2 is a planetwide pollutant. The car is in Alaska, not in London. So I am doing the planet a favor.
Charlie

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Charlie

cheers3.gif

Removing the EGR and CAT does not effect CO2, if your figures have changed it is due to some other factor or simply a change in the weather. Obviously removing a DPF does change the soot readings, BUT if you read up on the effects of NOX it is involved in the production of fine particle contamination and that does remain in the atmosphere, so it's not just a local issue. It's also bad news for the occupants of the vehicle when it is stationary at idle or the tailwind exceeeds the vehicles speed.

The big issue I have about people that boast about deleting emissions control gear is that you are setting a bad example in a public forum. Most of the folks that then follow your example will fail to declare the modification to their insurance company and many of the cheaper new online insurance providers are very good at finding any way possible to reject a serious claim and undeclared mod's are one area they will check.

Last edited:
"if your figures have changed it is due to some other factor or simply a change in the weather"

The mpg has increased consistently 11% over 6 months, compared to previous summer. No more fuel burned in DPF burnouts. Driving pattern absolutely the same - to and from work (9.1mi each way) and grocery store is pretty much it for this particular vehicle. And I am aware of seasonal difference between summer and winter fuel.

Charlie

"if your figures have changed it is due to some other factor or simply a change in the weather"

The mpg has increased consistently 11% over 6 months, compared to previous summer. No more fuel burned in DPF burnouts. Driving pattern absolutely the same - to and from work (9.1mi each way) and grocery store is pretty much it for this particular vehicle. And I am aware of seasonal difference between summer and winter fuel.

Charlie

Sounds like the DPF was nearly blocked, as they only use about 2 or 3% more fuel if in good order. I'm not a fan of DPF systems as they do cause a number of problems for cars that are short tripping and they were introduced before being properly developed. 9 miles is probably not enough in winter to do a full regen cycle.

Last edited:
I do not think the DPF was plugged. The mileage numbers prior modification were unchanged since the vehicle was virtually new. The vehicle does get about once a month (about once every 6-700mi) longer trips, 30-80 miles. Personally, my top bete noire in diesel emission systems is EGR. Both my Unimog and BMW had EGR failures early under warranty, including ingestion of coolant, potentially disastrous. And a particularly bad thing if one is in, say, the middle of the Gobi Desert (2 months ago).

Charlie

The big issue I have about people that boast about deleting emissions control gear is that you are setting a bad example in a public forum. Most of the folks that then follow your example will fail to declare the modification to their insurance company and many of the cheaper new online insurance providers are very good at finding any way possible to reject a serious claim and undeclared mod's are one area they will check.

In the end, that depends upon one's jurisdiction. In this province, another low population density area, the provincial government and the main insurer (a provincial Crown) couldn't care less if you took every piece of emissions equipment off the vehicle and threw them into the garbage. If people in other jurisdictions wish to make uninformed decisions, that's up to them.

Seems like the Delvac LE changed formulation again to include Magnesium as well. What was the bottle date if you have that information? Sounds like the vehicle is running much better since the changes. I think this engine was probably one of the hardest engines on oil with all the emission systems intact. Thank you for sharing oil analysis.

What is more important mr ultrafan?
Smog in London from cars in Alaska or addition of CO2 that goes everywhere and is pulled down only over thousands of years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back