Are moog suspension parts junk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had a shop replace both upper and lower ball joints and both inner and outer tie rods and I'm starting to feel some loose parts down there. Mainly when going up or down a bump slowly where it makes the truck rock back and forth you can feel it. I just had these parts put on maybe 5 or 6000 miles ago.

I recently replaced the same suspension parts on my escalade and many previous trucks w all Moog parts. Zero issues. We're they installed correctly?

Moog "Problem Solver" parts are generally really good, But I don't do suspension work as often as I did years ago.
My 2500HD has the original Ball Joints at 350,000, I just keep them greased.

Without actually checking the condition of yours....You can't condemn parts just because that was the last thing installed!

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Rocking back and forth? Sounds like shocks.

I'm talking about you go over a speed bump and the truck rocks back and forth a couple times, not because the shocks are shot, that's just what trucks do. lol

Moog has a lot of their stuff made overseas now so it makes one wonder about quality. I guess I got lucky with their USA-made tie rods on my Accord.

Jack the truck up and look for loose parts. If the joints came with Zerk fittings, give 'em a couple shots of fresh grease.

Last edited:
I've never had problems with Moog. I agree with the above, sounds more like you have worn shocks; that actually can cause a problem with excessive side to side rocking. I had that issue on my truck as well. Another indicator was my rear tires breaking loose more easily when turning corners from a stop.

They're good parts if it's the "Problem Solver" line of the part.

Could be shocks, control arm bushings, track bar, body mount, etc.

I did my trucks lower ball joints, upper control arms and inner/outer tie rod ends with Moog CK parts about 5000 miles ago with no issues.
Did they use CK or RK parts? CK are the better parts, but RK should last more than 5000 miles (and are warrantied for 3 years vs the better limited lifetime of the CK).

As said, if they are the CK, try a few pumps of grease in the zerk fittings. Get under there and see if there is anything loose. Or just bring it back by the shop that did it and let them check it.

They're junk now like most everything else. Buy OEM or the cheapest chinese part. That's the two options now.

I beat up on the Moog parts in my Jeep all of the time. And I do mean BEAT. Haven't had a problem, but I keep them greased every 5000 miles with Amsoil Racing Grease.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I beat up on the Moog parts in my Jeep all of the time. And I do mean BEAT. Haven't had a problem, but I keep them greased every 5000 miles with Amsoil Racing Grease.

You could use the cheapest grease imaginable and you'd never notice a difference.

The problem is moog reboxes now. So for certain applications you still get the good canada/us made stuff, as is the case for stuff like your jeep. But for many apps now you get chinese junk same as in the $9 ball joint white box.

Now and then you get a japanese made 555 part in an app for toyota or nissan.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
They're junk now like most everything else. Buy OEM or the cheapest chinese part. That's the two options now.

OEM Chrysler chassis parts are junk as well....

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

You could use the cheapest grease imaginable and you'd never notice a difference.

The problem is moog reboxes now. So for certain applications you still get the good canada/us made stuff, as is the case for stuff like your jeep. But for many apps now you get chinese junk same as in the $9 ball joint white box.

Now and then you get a japanese made 555 part in an app for toyota or nissan.

You must buy a lot of suspension parts.

Moog parts are good yes, but rebranded yeah I've been there.

Ordered a lower balljoint/control arm for my t-bird from amazon, moog brand and i got a TRW part.

granted TRW is a decent brand but i wanted the moog with a greaseable joint and instead i got a non-greaseable part that was a different brand.

Could it be:
1.) Stabilizer (Sway) Bar Bushings
2.) Stabilizer (Sway) Bar End Links

I had a broken 'End Link' on my Ford Ranger this Summer.
The End Links are basically a 'Bolt' with Rubber Bushings on each end.
When you go around a corner, the End Links keep the vehicle more level.

In broken condition, they did not affect how my vehicle handled, but once replaced,
I noticed it went around corners with a little more stiffness.

I also changed the Sway Bar Bushings while I was at it.

I went with Moog parts and also Polyurethane Bushings, not Rubber.
The Moog End Links were a little more heavy duty than the OEM I took off.

Last edited:
I was told by several people that MOOG is a hit and miss.

They all told me to buy OEM or Lemforder when it comes to suspension and steering components.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger

OEM Chrysler chassis parts are junk as well....

That's because Chrysler's are junk
27.gif
kidding...

On a serious note, Moog problem solvers are still considered to be a quality part. It doesn't mean there can be issues from time to time but generally they are good stuff.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I just had a shop replace both upper and lower ball joints and both inner and outer tie rods and I'm starting to feel some loose parts down there. Mainly when going up or down a bump slowly where it makes the truck rock back and forth you can feel it. I just had these parts put on maybe 5 or 6000 miles ago.
Moog always had a reputation of being a premium parts supplier as I recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back