Rusty Delco filters UPF48R from multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I have a Grand Sport Corvette with the dry sump system, which takes the special UPF48R filter (Z06, ZR1, GS). I ordered a case of 6 which all came with serious rust on the flange and threads. I ordered another case from somewhere else (Amazon), which also had rust spots, but less so. I think I got one out of 12 that was usable. Kinda frustrating I'll have to go to the dealer and get a couple and open boxes to find one that doesn't have rust all over it.

Anyone else had this issue with Delco filters?

20160917_1019191.jpg

Last edited:
Never had that problem as I ordered my FRAM pro synthetic off eBay and they are in boxes. Sorry about your luck
And I would contact customer service bout that

These were also in individual boxes, which looked very nice and not water damaged. AC Delco Ultraguard Gold. Oh, and they're "Made in USA".

As far as date codes, the only difference in any markings on them or the boxes are the worse ones are 14:01 and the nice-er ones are 13:46.

Interestingly I found some FRAM oil filters for a Jeep we sold in 1996 and have been in the unheated detached garage for 20+ years with no such rust on the bare steel flanges.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andyd
I would wipe them off and use them
27.gif

+1, start with the rustiest one first and work your way forward to the ones in better condition. Which would be the one on the top row on the far right. Then second row, number two filter for the next one.

I'd cut the worst one open to see if media is still ok inside, if yes, I'd use them.

Funny, only filters that rusted like that on me (stored in a heated room) were Mahle filters.

contact customer service and get a refund. Amazon will definitely honor it. I don't know about the other company since you didn't mention the name.

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
Would using one really be that bad?
It depends on the condition of the internals and the media. These **seem** to be very old and the media could be brittle (read this--fall apart inside the can during use) and thus you would have one of the most free-flowing non-filters around. I would either cut one open and inspect it before using the others or if returnable I would kick them to the curb.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
I'd cut the worst one open to see if media is still ok inside, if yes, I'd use them.

Funny, only filters that rusted like that on me (stored in a heated room) were Mahle filters.

That's exactly what I would do! ... If the worst one looks good inside just clean off the rust you can see on the others with some solvent then lightly oil and use away.

It doesn't "wipe off", it's rust not grease. That said, I don't really like the idea of extra iron oxide in my bearings, as the rust is on the return side of the filter.

Anyway, my actual concern is ordering from a 3rd place and getting more of the same. I did use the one on the bottom right, as it was 95% ok.

I would send them back for a refund - wouldn't run them that rusty. Never pays to buy dozens of oil filters at a time.

Like to know the date of manufacture and where and how these filters were stored in warehouse. Thinking high humidity, moisture in storage would have to be big factor. Without knowing more information, I couldn't put this on the filter which otherwise happens to be a good filter with a good reputation.

Too much of a gamble imo to use with amount of visible surface rust on the outside. Hope you can return them.

Another reason why my preference is to buy where I can inspect the filter prior to purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back