10W30 In My Engine=Quiet

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son just recently changed the oil and filter in my 07 F150 (4.2 V6, 132K Miles). I bought and used VML synthetic 10W30 and a FRAM ULTRA XG3600 oil filter. I received a coupon in the mail for $8 off of (2) 5 qt. containers,or, (10) qts. of any Valvoline oil. My son used the other OCI on my g/f's car.
This is the first time I have ever used 10W30 in this engine. And, it has never ran as quiet as it currently does. I did some research on the VML 10W30 oil and it stated the Noack % is 6.3. From what I have read here on the forum is that an motor oil with a low Noack % is a better oil. Is this true, and, is this why my engine is running the quietest it has EVER run since I have used the 10W30 oil in the engine?
21.gif

BTW, it has yet to have ANY clatter or ticking upon startup.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I think it's high time someone runs a test with a calibrated decibel meter for different oils on the same day

My ears are my testing equipment. I have owned this truck since brand new with 6 original miles on it when I bought it. So, I know what oil/oils make it run/sound loud/clatter upon there use.
But, I like your idea.

With 132K I would have no problem running 10w30 in that engine in La.
If your happy with 10w30....keep running it.

Originally Posted By: pbm

Thank you!
I have run A LOT of different oil weights in this engine; 0W20, 0W30, 0W40, 5W20, 5W30, and now, 10W30. Who would have known it would run this quiet on 10W30? Not me, that's for sure.
smile.gif

Seems you almost have to apologize on this site to run 10w30 - and mine is HM oil as well ...
And yeah - it runs smooth/quiet - prolly a DB less than the 5w PP I had ...
wink.gif

I've had 5w-20, thin 10w-30, and thick 10w-30 in my truck. Don't think I've ever noticed much of a difference in anything. I have a few miles on the Delo now. Gas mileage seems unaffected.

Originally Posted By: hatt
I've had 5w-20, thin 10w-30, and thick 10w-30 in my truck. Don't think I've ever noticed much of a difference in anything. I have a few miles on the Delo now. Gas mileage seems unaffected.

Well, if I come here next week and reply that my gas mileage has gone up, let's say 42.6 mpg, then, you know I'm full of something!
grin.gif

But, I did once put a STP sticker on my window and blew the doors off of a 'Vette!
crackmeup2.gif

My buddies 2011 Chevy 1500 with the 4.8 Vortec has had its oil changed by me every 5k miles since 40k and it now has 116k(before 40k it was done at a local gas station). It has been run on multiple different brands of 5W30 and 10W30, all synthetic. Some oils run quieter than others in it, although the engine isnt very loud to begin with. I've been running 10W30 lately, I'll try some 5W30 Maxlife synthetic for the winter and may use it year round. I noticed its pretty quiet on Castrol Edge HM. I always use Fram Ultra, Tough Guards, and sometimes Napa Golds/Wix and have never had an ounce of trouble.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
My buddies 2011 Chevy 1500 with the 4.8 Vortec has had its oil changed by me every 5k miles since 40k and it now has 116k(before 40k it was done at a local gas station). It has been run on multiple different brands of 5W30 and 10W30, all synthetic. Some oils run quieter than others in it, although the engine isnt very loud to begin with. I've been running 10W30 lately, I'll try some 5W30 Maxlife synthetic for the winter and may use it year round. I noticed its pretty quiet on Castrol Edge HM. I always use Fram Ultra, Tough Guards, and sometimes Napa Golds/Wix and have never had an ounce of trouble.

I too should have stated this as well on my opening post.
thumbsup2.gif

Congrats on finding an oil and filter combo that works for you.

I'm running semi-syn 10W-30 Magnatec (A3/B4) in my car right now, and it's so smooth that for the first week or so I kept glancing down at the instruments when stopped at red lights to make sure the car was still running. It always was, but I just couldn't feel it. I've since recalibrated my butt-dino and it's all under control now.

blue oval, my sister has the same truck as you, same year and engine, I do notice its a little noisy on Smittys 5W20, I might step it up to 5W30 next time, I dont want to use anything too thick, as she drives 1.5 miles to work and back each day.

blue oval, my sister has the same truck as you, same year and engine, I do notice its a little noisy on Smittys 5W20, I might step it up to 5W30 next time, I dont want to use anything too thick, as she drives 1.5 miles to work and back each day.

Honestly, I really don't like using ANY 5W20 in my engine because of what you've stated. I never have complained about it on here (The Forum) for the simple fact that I would be witch hunted and burned at the stake!

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: pbm

Thank you!
I have run A LOT of different oil weights in this engine; 0W20, 0W30, 0W40, 5W20, 5W30, and now, 10W30. Who would have known it would run this quiet on 10W30? Not me, that's for sure.
smile.gif

Wasn't it quiet on 0w-40?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

Honestly, I really don't like using ANY 5W20 in my engine because of what you've stated. I never have complained about it on here (The Forum) for the simple fact that I would be witch hunted and burned at the stake!

Yeah, you are allowed to see varnish with your eyes, but you are not allowed to hear noise with your ears. Rules of the Forum.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I think it's high time someone runs a test with a calibrated decibel meter for different oils on the same day

I'll take the guy's word for it, jeez...

I believe you that it's quieter, but at our current LA temps there is no difference between 5w30 and 10w30. The 4.2 is a pushrod motor, which tend to be noisier with some additives compared to others. (ZDDP, etc). So I think the quieter has to do with the better add pack not the winter weight difference.

There is variation within the op temp range (HTHS) so it could very well be that it is a bit heavier than the odd 5W-30. The spread is less, so the chemistry is different.

With that many miles, I'd have absolutely no issues with ML Syn in that grade(s).

Up around 200K you'll prolly step up to 10W-40 and it'll still be quiet
smile.gif

BTW - I believe that clatter is bad. It means metal bits banging on metal bits. Yeah, there may be an oil film, but it is not thick enough, or it would not clatter ...

Engineers do not design systems to make noise if they can help it, they know it irritates customers. So when you hear clatter at start-up, I suspect you have the wrong oil regimen ...

I always shoot for quiet starts. It's an indicator that I have made the right choices
smile.gif

Good on you
smile.gif

yepp, 10w30 is what I am using in the same engine (Freestar minivan).

Currently it's 10w30 HDEO. Going to change it to the PYB (of the same weight) soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back