lightest 0w30 or 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please help me by listing the 'lightest' three 0w30 or 5w30 synthetics or blends available....majors brands only (Mobil, Pennzoil, QS, Castrol etc.).

My vehicle does not burn or use any additional oil....has 137k on the engine....and I usually do about 7500 mile OCI's in about a years time.(retired).

Thanks guys.

Please define "light". HTHSVis, weight per liter?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Sam_Julier
Please define "light". HTHSVis, weight per liter?
wink.gif

I don't know who is smarter - you or Pop.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Please help me by listing the 'lightest' three 0w30 or 5w30 synthetics or blends available....majors brands only (Mobil, Pennzoil, QS, Castrol etc.).

My vehicle does not burn or use any additional oil....has 137k on the engine....and I usually do about 7500 mile OCI's in about a years time.(retired).

Thanks guys.
`

Don't be too concerned with the oils "Weight" when new, it's the final viscosity at the end of the OCI that is of more interest.
If you are chasing ultimate low fuel consumption figures, try an 0w20 and cut the OCI to 5000 miles BUT get few UOA's done to see if the block objects and I would even try beefing up the add pack with a can of Ceratec to reduce the wear metals figures if they increase.

Since you're looking at nothing but 30 weights, just look for the oil that has HTHS at the 2.9 minimum. That's what really determines fuel economy.

Thanks guys.

Oregoonian,
Why are you thinking of switching to a 30 wt oil? It looks like your Focus is still performing well, so I would stick with the 0-20. Both of my Duratech engines are starting to get some years on them, and miles, but both are performing like new on 0-20.

Thanks guys.

Oregoonian,
Why are you thinking of switching to a 30 wt oil? It looks like your Focus is still performing well, so I would stick with the 0-20. Both of my Duratech engines are starting to get some years on them, and miles, but both are performing like new on 0-20.

If you want to go to an XW-30 yet retain low HTHSv, M1 AFE would be the first choice.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Thanks guys.

Oregoonian,

My thinking is that my 03' Ford Focus 2.3 Duratec has about 140k on it....a little heaver oil would help it some. Most likely its just "wishful thinking"....and 0w20 or 5w20 will do fine.
My next oil chancge will be in late October, and decided to try PP 5w20. OCI will be about 7500k and one year. I currently have QSUD 0w20 in it and am well pleased with the results.

I think it is Pennzoil platinum 5w30 synthetic im pretty sure the Mobil 1 is heavier but i could be wrong because i can't find any current 2016 specs. on the Pennzoil site..

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I think it is Pennzoil platinum 5w30 synthetic im pretty sure the Mobil 1 is heavier but i could be wrong because i can't find any current 2016 specs. on the Pennzoil site..

This is a familiar discussion. Go to www.epc.shell.com and you will find all the specs on Shell products you could possibly want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back