Mercon V vs Dexron ii/iii

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 99' 2.2l Camry with 145K mi.
I dropped the transmission pan for its first ever trans fluid change and replaced with maxlife at 143K. Manual calls for Dexron II or III.
I do have 3/4 of a qt of Motorcraft Mercon V that has been sitting on my shelf for probably 2 or 3 years now.

Heard these are pretty similar....think I can do a drain and fill with the MerconV and the rest with Maxlife?

Last edited:
Mercon V should be equivalent to Maxlife in just about every way. Go ahead and use it. Ford says Mercon V is approved for all Merc/Dex applications.

Originally Posted By: lucas01230
I have 99' 2.2l Camry with 145K mi.
I dropped the transmission pan for its first ever trans fluid change and replaced with maxlife at 143K. Manual calls for Dexron II or III.
I do have 3/4 of a qt of Motorcraft Mercon V that has been sitting on my shelf for probably 2 or 3 years now.

Heard these are pretty similar....think I can do a drain and fill with the MerconV and the rest with Maxlife?

How many quarts did you replace? You should do another drain and fill in a few weeks.

Earlier this summer a relative stopped over with a 2006 Corolla.
The ATF fluid didn't look great so I drained it and refilled with Mercon V (which I had from a previous car).
It ran perfectly afterwards. I think you'll be fine using the Mercon V.

PS: Do you have 3/4 of a quart or 3 or 4 quarts? The Corolla took about 3.5 quarts.

I ran Mercon V in my Aisin transmission that also calls for DexII/III. No issues.

Had a bunch of Mercon V left over from my Taurus.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Earlier this summer a relative stopped over with a 2006 Corolla.
The ATF fluid didn't look great so I drained it and refilled with Mercon V (which I had from a previous car).
It ran perfectly afterwards. I think you'll be fine using the Mercon V.

PS: Do you have 3/4 of a quart or 3 or 4 quarts? The Corolla took about 3.5 quarts.

It's 2 12oz bottles. So 24 oz which is .75 of a quart. Camry takes about 2.6 for drain and fill.
Forgot about it until recently so I figure I'll ski a drain and fill to get some more old fluid out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back