Cheapest way to get quality work done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
See thread subject.

For example I need to get four shocks and struts for a my Honda CR-V.

Find a technician who's willing to do some side work on nights/weekends for cash? Craigslist may be a good place, unless you have a friend of a friend.

If I can't do it myself, I usually google for reviews on local independent shops then call around for prices. Something like shocks you'll probably want to bring to a shop so it can get a alignment after its done. Most foreign cars that I have worked on require this. Even of the CRV doesn't, then you at least have a warranty on the parts/labor.

Shock and strut replacement shouldn't require an alignment afterward. That has been my experience with a handful of varying models and suspension types over a 35 year period. YMMV.

1. Bring it to a chain store that gives you the cheapest price.
a) If you're lucky everything will be fine.
b) If you're unlucky they will screw something up or the parts will fail prematurely. In that case see number 2.
2. Start a thread lamenting how unprofessional the shop was and how you deserve to be fully compensated for whatever hardship you had to endure. Don't forget to mention that it's the fault of the greedy corporations.

Alternatively you can buy quality parts yourself and DIY, or find a good indy, specify that you want quality parts, not just the cheapest stuff and be prepared to pay a bit more for a quality job.

In my area craigslist is a joke. Facebook Yardsales you can buy, barter, get or do anything nowadays. Barring social media and doing it yourself...if your local high school/trade school has an automotive shop class that is an alternative.

If your going to keep the vehicle for awhile get Bilstein shocks/struts.

Shock assemblies are an option also.

If you just do front shocks consider the bearing on the top.

Determine how much you can do yourself.

Cheap and quality very rarely go hand in hand when dealing with pros who do good work. OTOH if you have a buddy in the business that does good work you might be able to have him do it.

Ask for recommendations from friends, especially those that can be picky. Has always worked well for me on a number of things, including mechanics.

Get recommendations, and keep returning to a good shop.

Or DIY. You can rent tools from Autozone(?) and probably other places, or just buy what is needed. Some of the smaller garages will likely do work for you on the cheap--if you walk in with a box of struts and ask to have the spring swapped, even if they charge $100 to do it, you know the rest of the job will be done right. [And most corner shops would charge less for a 5 minute job, just saying, sometimes overpaying for a job you can't do is still cheaper than paying for the whole job.]

Quick struts are awesome! And they're quite easy to do yourself. Plus, Monroe and Gabriel are both running rebate promos until the end of October.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Quick struts are awesome! And they're quite easy to do yourself. Plus, Monroe and Gabriel are both running rebate promos until the end of October.

Just keep your old parts if you do this. Seems half the reviewers here are happy, the other half not so happy. If you keep the old parts you can always have some shop swap springs onto a new set of struts, after a year or whenever one's patience runs out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back