iPhone 6->iPhone 7 for $20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Verizon is offering a $650 credit for my iPhone 6 if switch to iphone7. Besides new and 16gb more storage (32 vs 16) any other reason to jump? It commits me to 2 years with Verizon doing this however they are superior carrier In my area. Behind happy with iPhone 6.

Thoughts?

The additional room and increased water resistance would be worth the $20.00 to me if I had no intention of switching.

I'm surprised Verizon will even still do a contract, you might inquire as to what the monthly plan is if you own the phone is, it might actually be cheaper over the course of the 2 years to trade your 6 on a 7 at the apple store.

That sounds like a great deal. Newer tech, fresher battery, etc.

That said, in not sold on the 7 given lack of regular headphone jack.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Here is a list of MVNO carriers and what network they use. Find one of the lower cost carriers that use Verizon towers, get the same cell coverage at a cheaper monthly cost.

Just my opinion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators

I've been using Tracfone for several years now...over Verizon lines. Works perfectly for my purposes. I text about 90% of the time with a Moto E smartphone. My yearly cost for my service with Tracfone is between $100 to $125 dollars. No contracts ever.

The trend is "NO CONTRACT", and it will save you lots of $$$.

My understanding form several reviewers I've heard and read is the new Apple phone is nothing special....and most suggest to wait until next year (the 10 year version).

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Verizon is offering a $650 credit for my iPhone 6 if switch to iphone7. Besides new and 16gb more storage (32 vs 16) any other reason to jump? It commits me to 2 years with Verizon doing this however they are superior carrier In my area. Behind happy with iPhone 6.

Thoughts?

If you're happy with your carrier just stay with them. Verizon is offering a free iPhone 7 if you trade in your 6. All installments will be credited. You just need to stick with them for 2 years unless you want to pay off whatever balance is left on your device.

I am chicken to switch carriers as I use my iPhone for roughly 10hrs/week in conference calls with work and audio is perfect from where I sit at home.

I peeked at other carriers but I think with work discount of 25% on Verizon we end up paying $95/month for two smartphones unlimited talk/text and 8gb data with carryover. No no idea if high or low, our data consumption is 5gb/month occasionally spiking if we travel. Unfortunately the plan below is 4gb/month which is risky.

I likely will move to newer phone I guess wondering if 32gb ($0) vs 128gb($100!?) is next choice.

Are you sure there is no other catch? This offer sounds too good to be true. If I get similar offer from Verizon for my iPhone 6S, I will jump with both feet.

Not sure where I got $20.00 from before... trying to do more than one thing at once I guess. Reading it again this sounds too good to be true, make sure there is not a gotcha somewhere.

128GB opens up two more color options if that matters to you, if you take a lot of video or have tons of music and audio books, the 128 might be worth it, remember it can shoot 4K video...

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Are you sure there is no other catch? This offer sounds too good to be true. If I get similar offer from Verizon for my iPhone 6S, I will jump with both feet.

Checkout Verizon wireless and upgrade iPhone 7. I ended up biting on 128gb($4/month) because they apparently give 2gb bonus data so I can lower my data plan by $15/month by using 4gb plan with additional 2gb bonus. They may give that for base 32gb phone too but a $11ish decrease in bill is nice.

Thoughts?

If you dont mind being tied to Verizon, then why not switch? We all pick our luxurys, paying the phone company or type of phone isnt for me. Could care less about owning an Iphone, work gives me a free one for my work cell, my personal I use a Windows phone, prefer it over the iphone, prefer android over it too.
We use no contract ATT Cricket, 3 lines, unlimited everything, never a surcharge, never a tax. Monthly cost is $90 for all three lines. That is actual payment.

Last edited:
My wife is going to Verizon on Friday to check on this. I'll let you know. She has a 6 in perfect condition, but she wants a 7. I'll let you know what they say at the store. I doubt the deal is as it says, but we'll see...

Total wireless(at walmart)
is verizon towers for 35$ w/5gb or
2 phones +8gb for 60$
Speed limited to 5mb/sec

95$ for 2 phones isnt bad if that includes all taxes and fees.

When I had them a few years ago
it was 160$ for 1 smartphone and 1 dumb phone per month.

So, this is what Verizon told us on Friday (in person, at a corporate store):

If you have a paid-off iPhone (if it's already paid, or if you put the cash down on the spot to pay it off), they will give you a $650 credit for your iPhone 6S. That is, you can trade it in and walk out with a new 7 at no additional cost. Or, you can pay another $4/month ($100 total over a two-year finance, which they said they'd make you do) and up-size to the 7 Plus.

If you don't have a paid-off iPhone, and don't wish to pay it off, they will still take it on trade and forgive the rest of the payment as long as you've already paid half. But, this only forgives the payment on the existing phone; the new iPhone 7 will cost $27/month or $32/month depending on if you get the 7 or 7 Plus.

We're going to do option 1, which I think is actually a pretty good deal if you just have to have the latest phone. We'll have paid a total of $649 for her iPhone 6S, $27/month over the last 11 months, plus $351 in cash down. But, we get 100% of that back as credit towards the new phone. If she got the 7, it'd be no additional cost each month. She wants the 7 Plus, so they'll put a $4/month device payment on her line (her device payment amount will decrease from the $27/month it is now to $4/month).

If we kept her current phone, we'll have paid $27 13 more times before it's paid, or $351. At the end of that time period, she'll have an old iPhone 6 worth maybe $250. If we upgrade, we pay $351 now, plus another $100 in device payment, but she'll have a newer phone worth more money at the end. Financially, it's probably about a wash, but she's happy with a new phone. If she's happy, I'm happy.

They said this offer is good through September 30.

I got mine and like the phone however Apple and Verizon have a known bug apparently(called support yesterday and known since 9/23).

It randomly will drop LTE and revert to 3G or 1x. Clicking on and off airplane resets this. They better address soon as it annoying.

When LTe is working speed is much faster. I get 100Mbps download speed at host using Speedtest. My prior iPhone 6 only managed about 50Mbps. I find it humorous the unlimited data plans from cheaper providers because they choke your speed down to 5-7 which is fine for most but not really LTE/4g.

My bill stays at $95/month for 2 smartphones and 10gb shared data. Note I get 22% discount on data/voice portion thru employee discount where I contract.

My bill stays at $95/month for 2 smartphones and 10gb shared data. Note I get 22% discount on data/voice portion thru employee discount where I contract.

What is the actual payment? $95.00 even/exactly?

If costs of service and phones actually matter to you, you'll leave VZW or ATT or anything with a contract and payment plans (how insane is that; financing/leasing a PHONE!), and go to an MVNO.
Cricket is an outstanding value. You will literally save thousands of dollars over just two years and there are cheaper services too. Cricket is just the easiest to switch to and use, with ATTs network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back