The Remington R51 Gen 2 appears to be a disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was considering a Remington R51 Gen 2 to add to my collection until I researched it yesterday.
Youtube channel Gun Talk Media was invited to the Remington plant in Alabama and chose 2 random production samples to shoot
in the plants firing range. The host had 3 failures to feed within 200 shots.

I don't know what it is with Remington and this gun. It's has been, and continues to be, a total disaster. The first generation gun was so poorly manufactured, they recalled and replaced them. After that they discontinued production. Now they've come out with a second generation of the same pistol. And it appears to be just as big of a POS as the last one. If there ever was an example of the old saying: "If you find yourself in a hole... Stop digging!" This is surely it. I wouldn't want one of these metallic turds if they gave it to me. There are too many good guns out there, to waste time and money screwing around with this worthless thing.

It is a shame given that company's long history. Like so many other products from old historic manufacturers the quality is just not there sometimes. I have an old .22 bolt action Remington made in the early 1960's that is just amazing.
Even the "perfection" Glocks and other makers are having more issues than they used to with new production.

This is getting to be more and more the result, as people who know guns are replaced with bean counters. If you could turn back the clock, and walk into a gun shop in the 50's and 60's, you could grab most any weapon off the rack and it would show quality and craftsmanship. Even a single shot bolt action .22. Today it's nothing but a bunch of molded plastic, Aluminum, and sheet metal slop. You have to hunt...... And pay through the nose for anything that's quality.

Remington's are definitely ruining thier name. It's all due to this recent guns being treated like commodities. People are buying up guns not for the love of firearms but as money makers. The result they can pawn off anything. They don't really understand the whole gun thing. It's like the Barbie collection, if it's marketed as a collectible, you can bet it never will be.

I've read in recent years where folks would order a Remington SPS rifle in various calibers and would recieve a gun that barely resembled "new" condition and had the wrong caliber barrel installed. By wrong barrel caliber I mean one guy ordered that rifle in 308 and after 100+ rounds at 100 yards barely hitting paper, took it to a gunsmith who measured the barrel crown and found it was actually milled out to a "309" caliber.

I grew up hearing stories from my dad about how you couldn't do any better than a Remington 700 ADL or a Ruger Hawkeye. Seems Ruger got it right the whole time.

Originally Posted By: NavyVet88
I grew up hearing stories from my dad about how you couldn't do any better than a Remington 700 ADL or a Ruger Hawkeye. Seems Ruger got it right the whole time.

He never heard of a Winchester model 70? Or anything from Sako?

The benefits of a free market. They'll only continue to make cra* as long as the public will buy. It gets harder to do with the interwebs to spread bad news fast.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: NavyVet88

He never heard of a Winchester model 70? Or anything from Sako?

Winchester makes a great gun as well. I've had no experience with a sako.

Originally Posted By: billt460
It's no different than politics. If people will stand in line to vote for worthless candidates, they'll run nothing but worthless candidates.

And with the consolidation of so many arms makers, that may very be the truth. I know the last time I looked at buying a new Marlin, I was appalled how poorly they were put together in terms of fit and finish compared to the one I inherited from my grandfather.

The principle they use is sound, as it is based off the original designed by John Pedersen. There were prototypes in 45acp back in the day (called the Model 53) and it was tested against production 1911's. It performed as well.

Good principle, but sadly poorly executed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back