Spin-On vs Magnefine type trans filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read of several failures of the Wix and Magnefine type filters, some
catastrophic, some minor leaks, but how about the spin-on types such as
B&M? Are they more reliable than the plastic housing type filters?

I only had a minor leak on a Magnefine case - and a clamp leak on the Derale. From a risk management perspective - I lean towards sticking with my spin on with several good choices in filters.
I did add the MagnaFilter on top of current spin on ...

Originally Posted By: TheLoneRanger
I've read of several failures of the Wix and Magnefine type filters, some
catastrophic, some minor leaks, but how about the spin-on types such as
B&M? Are they more reliable than the plastic housing type filters?

Where are you reading of these failures? I have used several and no issues. Awhile ago some Magnefine filters may have had a tiny leak around the threads but the newer ones heat seal the threads.

The Magnefine have a magnet in the middle of the ATF flow and 35 micron media filter. The spin on ones have no magnet and maybe 15 micron media filter.

The magnet in my first MagnaFine fuzzed up allot. All after that next to nothing. But that comparison you made always bothered me (or my disorder over PM) - so added the MagnaFilter early this year. That is a bigger magnet too.
Having a spin on and a B&M drain plug = 20 min filter and 5 qt swap each 30k ...
But it's the mess I don't miss ...

The Spin on will cost less and filter better over the life of the vehicle.

I have some Magnefine filters that leaked. They are five or more years old. They slowly seeped. I had one on my power steering low pressure side. I had to get rid of it. It put PS fluid all over the engine. I don't trust the rest of them. The new ones may be better.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: thescreensavers
I have a Magnefine inline with my Trans cooler on my Jeep no issues almost a year now.

Same for me but over four years now. I've run them on four other cars of mine and never had an issue over 10+ years. Always purchased them from the US distributor to ensure I get the real ones.

I had one of three leak. Then the wear and tear on hose of using barbed style filter. Switched to Derale spin on and use Wix XP at the moment ...

In the long run the spin on setup is cheaper and the larger filter filters longer before it need changing. It is also easier to change as well if the adaper is installed with a little thought.

I went down the same path and ended up with the TransProtector, which is a metal alternate to the magnefine.

Agree with CT8 that full size will be cheaper in the long run but you do need to plan out the install. For my application, an inline is more than adequate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back