2013 Subaru Impreza 2.0 engine oil burning

Status
Not open for further replies.
My step-son is currently looking to buy one. I heard they have issues with excessive oil consumption. Should he stay clear? thanks in advance.

That's a tough question. My girlfriend bought a 2016 Subaru Crosstrek (new) with the 2.0 and the first 4500 miles it burned 1 qt. Not really all that bad but she did the best she could following the recommended break in procedure for the first 1000 miles. It's closing in on 10k miles and the oil consumption has slowed considerably, so my opinion is it's a gamble unless you know that the car was broken in properly.

Can't say I ever noticed much oil consumption on either of my Subarus. Did have to put a little bit in the Legacy after a high speed run to Scotland and back, but it was only half way down the max/min, and I put in about 1/2 litre.

But that was the only time I remember topping either up.

Originally Posted By: Blaze
My step-son is currently looking to buy one. I heard they have issues with excessive oil consumption. Should he stay clear? thanks in advance.

Blaze-Respectfully. Coming on BITOG and asking if one should buy a Subaru is like going on this forum and asking if you should buy Chinese tires and then cut off your fingers. NOW-if you were asking to buy a 15 year old Panther (Crown Vic) you would have to wipe the salivating (by other members) off your computer screen.

Seriously though-I have a 2012 Subaru Legacy just just turned over 50,000 miles and doesn't use a drop of oil.

Last edited:
Some do, some don't. But there are enough complaints out there to raise some worry. I had one briefly that didn't (had to upgrade to a more family size car from the Impreza).

2 guys at my office had consumption issues. A qt. in about 1500 miles. TECHNICALLY fine according to the manual, but it makes some people less than happy.

Some engines do burn oil. My subaru did. Just check it often, and as long as you don't mind topping it off whats the big deal?

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Just check it often, and as long as you don't mind topping it off whats the big deal?

The deal is that something probably isn't working properly in the engine if it's burning oil, and that may well get worse over time. Oil consumption may not be unusual if you're using high RPMs all the time, but our Forester has barely used a drop in the two years we've had it, and I suspect the 4mm drop we did see on the dipstick after one highway trip was just fuel and water accumulated over the winter boiling off. So the FB engines really shouldn't burn oil in normal driving.

The real problem is that it seems some of the FB engines do burn oil and others don't, and I don't know of any way to tell which is which on a test-drive. You may need to drive it a thousand miles to be sure of which you've got.

On the plus side, a 2013 will presumably still have engine warranty for a couple of years, so, if the consumption is bad, you should be able to get a new short block. But that's still going to take the car out of your hands for a week, even if you don't have to badger them to replace it.

I would make sure that there are no oil leaks and get a compression check done if possible. These engines do not like cheap oils or long OCI's.
If you do get one, start by making sure the block is clean (Consider using a major brand idle only flush additive just before an oil & filter change) with a few short OCI's using an oil with lots of detergents (Mobil 1 0w40 or Amsoil 0w40 are good block cleaners). Then switch to a major brand (Mobil, Castrol, Shell group inc Penn in particular) full synthetic and keep the OCI short, perhaps 3000 miles if you are a short tripper, or 5000 max if you cruise the highways.

I'm original owner on a 2012. Subaru apparently had a batch of bad piston rings. We have always burned a bit, approximately a quart every 3000. At that rate, I'm not really too concerned it is seems it doesn't worsen over time and we're at about 88k miles now. There is a class action lawsuit that was settled that provides coverage for this issue up to 100k miles and some extended length of time that I'm forgetting. The settlement provides for a consumption test to be performed and if it fails (fairly stringent- I think no more than 1/3 quart in 1200 miles) you get a new shortblock. I've got a decent chance of failing but mine isn't too bad and I don't want the downside of tearing apart an otherwise just about perfectly operating car that I see running to 300k. We've got the CVT and it isn't too bad to live with if a little noisy. Only complaints are a bit underpowered and the EPA MPG is a optimistic, especially highway. But if my expectations are right about its longevity, its a lot of car/service life for the money.

I had a 2014 XV Crosstrek, 5spd, FB20 engine. Mine did use enough oil at times to actually light up the low oil level light (Which all Subarus have these days). Oil usage was sporadic. Not consistent. I traded it in for the Forster because I hated the 5spd in this particular vehicle.

Nothing wrong with my 2012 with 104K miles. My oil level has never dropped below the full mark in between oci's. Most Subaru's don't burn an excessive amount of oil.

With it being a 2013, just have a Subaru dealership or Subaru of America check the VIN to see if any oil consumption related service has ever been done. If so, then find another one if that's what he wants.

Originally Posted By: deanm11
I've got a decent chance of failing but mine isn't too bad and I don't want the downside of tearing apart an otherwise just about perfectly operating car that I see running to 300k.

I think you are making a big mistake. Installing a short block isn't rocket science for a subaru dealership.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: deanm11
I've got a decent chance of failing but mine isn't too bad and I don't want the downside of tearing apart an otherwise just about perfectly operating car that I see running to 300k.

I think you are making a big mistake. Installing a short block isn't rocket science for a subaru dealership.

I'll side with Dean here. I will live with moderate oil usage on an otherwise fine running engine rather than risk the potential opening of a can of worms that could result from a rebuild.

That being said, our '14 Crosstrek has endured multiple sustained high speed trips from Florida to Vermont and back without burning a drop in 40k.

With my 2014 XV Crosstrek 5spd, I wouldn't be surprised if some or oil of the oil usage I experienced was due to the relatively low gearing of the 5spd. They run at double the RPMs at highway speed than the CVT equipped models do. Lots of compression braking too when you let off the throttle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back