ACEA A5/B5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not much talk about these oils here... But it is what the new Volvo requires. I'm looking at Castrol EP 5W-30 and I'll be using an OEM filter.

What would you all recommend?

PP 5w30 is A5/B5

PUP is also A5/B5, but much harder to find

Castrol Edge isn't A5/B5, but they're going to reformulate it soon and it will meet the standards once again. See this post for more information.

Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 would be my choice for an A5/B5 rated oil.

Bottle label shows that it is approved for the spec.

What kind of Volvo did you buy? I've looked at the new S60 cars lately, and I've been impressed with them and the rest of the lineup. The new SUV (XC90) seems to be super as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: drtyler

What kind of Volvo did you buy? I've looked at the new S60 cars lately, and I've been impressed with them and the rest of the lineup. The new SUV (XC90) seems to be super as well.

We found a 2016 XC60 with 8500 miles for a slamming deal. We love it, can't find anything not to like about it so far. Well, it's jet black and the paint is a little soft, but some 105 and 205 got it back.

ACEA specs are used in Europe by European manufactures, we in US use API(American Petroleum Institute) specs.

Most American and Japanese manufactures specify API spec only, not a word about ACEA.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Not much talk about these oils here... But it is what the new Volvo requires. I'm looking at Castrol EP 5W-30 and I'll be using an OEM filter.

Just look up which oil the major brand oil companies recommend for your engine on the oil finder or guide page of their web site. Then find out which one is on special in Wallymart and stock up.
Ultra is a tad ahead of Edge or M1, but it's very unlikely to make any real difference. If you like speding money find out which Synthoil High Tech is listed in the Liqui Moly oil guide and then add a can of Ceratec.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
ACEA specs are used in Europe by European manufactures, we in US use API(American Petroleum Institute) specs.

Most American and Japanese manufactures specify API spec only, not a word about ACEA.

What does this have to do with my Volvo that requires ACEA A5/B5?

We found a 2016 XC60 with 8500 miles for a slamming deal. We love it, can't find anything not to like about it so far. Well, it's jet black and the paint is a little soft, but some 105 and 205 got it back.

I did few maintenance items for my daughter 2006 Volvo V70 FWD base 2.5L 5-cyl. Everything under the hood was a mess, even the simple cabin air filter location and engineered is as dumb as can be.

Looks to me Volvo engineers just go out and buy random parts and go back to their plant slapped all parts together without any engineering. Of all manufactures, Volvo is near the bottom(if not at the bottom) of the intelligent design.

Why Volvo was bought by Ford and China is the new owner ? Volvo was well regarded before Honda was born, now Honda is standing tall and independent and well respected by other manufactures. Volvo couldn't impress Ford and now under control of the well known cheater China.

I did few maintenance items for my daughter 2006 Volvo V70 FWD base 2.5L 5-cyl. Everything under the hood was a mess, even the simple cabin air filter location and engineered is as dumb as can be.

Looks to me Volvo engineers just go out and buy random parts and go back to their plant slapped all parts together without any engineering. Of all manufactures, Volvo is near the bottom(if not at the bottom) of the intelligent design.

Why Volvo was bought by Ford and China is the new owner ? Volvo was well regarded before Honda was born, now Honda is standing tall and independent and well respected by other manufactures. Volvo couldn't impress Ford and now under control of the well known cheater China.

Do you have anything to add regarding my original question, or are you just here to thread bash? Why don't you go copy and paste another Tesla article?

Kindly, GTFO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Marco620
Come to think of it,QSUD 5W30 is A5 and HTO-6 also. Least it was two years ago.

I'll have to check, they have that at my local WM. I don't have to worry about my own oil changes for a while apparently, but I may do a couple of 6mo. changes while it is new.

M1 and Castrol did have the A5/B5, but they seemed to have disappeared, at least temporarily, with Castrol stating something about the B5 portion of the spec and it being a temporary issue. I'd be perfectly confident in M1, M1 EP, and both Castrol black bottle and gold bottle, along with QSUD. However, if I were really concerned about following the letter of the specification, I'd grab one of the Pennzoil A5/B5 varieties.

I'm not so concerned about warranty, per se, as I doubt I'll ever have a lubrication related failure, as long as I'm using an oil capable of long drains.

Is there any reason I couldn't use an A3/B4 oil? Keep my life simple and keep running Castrol 0W-40 in everything? My understanding is that A5/B5 and A3/B4 are similar, with the former having an HTHS of 3.5.

Last edited:
Personally, I couldn't see why not. Some would be worried about the huge peril the catalytic converter is placed in thanks to some more phosphorus, or the catastrophic hit you'll take on fuel economy; I wouldn't worry much about those things. In addition to HTHS, North American A5/B5 variants will also share SN/GF-5 certification, so will have the corresponding reduction in phosphorus. The SN/GF-5 variants will also have an HTHS closer to 3.0, rather than bumping on the upper limit. I believe there is a difference in minimum TBN, too, with A3/B4 having the edge.

American cars perhaps, but every Japanese made car I have bought has had an ACEA spec.

But since this is the European and Import motors section.......

In the UK (and the rest of Europe I would expect) all Fords and Volvos (apart from a couple of exceptions) have used A5/B5 oil in 5w30 viscosity.

Some older ones used the A1/B1

Originally Posted By: bigjl
American cars perhaps, but every Japanese made car I have bought has had an ACEA spec.

In North America, it's pretty rare to see much beyond an ILSAC rating called for in a Japanese manual.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: bigjl

In North America, it's pretty rare to see much beyond an ILSAC rating called for in a Japanese manual.

The only cars I can recall only having API are the two Kia Picantos I own now.

Kia have a PDF file on their UK Website which has all the Oil Specs for nearly every car they have made in the last decade or so.

Strangely most have ACEA Specs. Go figure

Here, I think only Kia and/or Hyundai address ACEA specifications. Nissan certainly does not here, and their OCIs sure as heck reflect that.
wink.gif

My G37 actually only calls for an API SM 5w-30. It doesn't even call for SM/GF-4. So, I can use a C3, an A1/B1 A5/B5, or an E6, E7, E9, or a generic SM/GF-4 or SN/GF-5. That involves quite a swing in drain interval capabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back