No wonder Norway drivers bought more Electric Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Now, what are the benefits of cleaner air ? How much value do you think if Norway reduces COx by 20-30% ?

COx is not a pollutant. That's the biggest scam in all of this. Reducing COx does what? It is an easy emission to target and that's why it is. The (legitimate) pollution generated by burning fossil fuels is the real issue and that covers a scope that is far broader than the one that focuses solely on carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide and then allows one to buy/sell "credits" so you can feel good about "saving the planet"
smirk.gif

As cold as it can get in Norway i would want the heating and defrosting of a gasser.

Norway's relationship to the environment and ethics is much more complicated.

I'm surprised none of you brought up the fact of the Norway Soverign fund, which has a value of $873Billion; which per citizen comes out to be $200,000 and is the wealthiest sovereign funds.

The fund is meant to provide for Norwegians in perpetuity given that it is a nonrenewable national resource that's being tapped. Given that it comes entirely from oil/petroleum reserves there is a layer of guilt related to the environment underlying the fund and that leads the government to choose to subsidize environmental things.

The Fund is also established with an ethics counsel involved which makes these decisions not based on a free market.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng

I'm surprised none of you brought up the fact of the Norway Soverign fund, which has a value of $873Billion; which per citizen comes out to be $200,000 and is the wealthiest sovereign funds.

The fund is meant to provide for Norwegians in perpetuity given that it is a nonrenewable national resource that's being tapped. Given that it comes entirely from oil/petroleum reserves there is a layer of guilt related to the environment underlying the fund and that leads the government to choose to subsidize environmental things.

The Fund is also established with an ethics counsel involved which makes these decisions not based on a free market.

Great point. For all this "care for the environment" talk, they export more oil per day than Canada. And nearly as much as Venezuela....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_oil_exports

They appear to be perfectly happy for someone else to pollute, so long as the money keeps rolling in.

Originally Posted By: Tempest

Great point. For all this "care for the environment" talk, they export more oil per day than Canada. And nearly as much as Venezuela....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_oil_exports

They appear to be perfectly happy for someone else to pollute, so long as the money keeps rolling in.

I suppose if you look at it from a global scale, its better to produce oil in Norway that creates less greenhouse gas then production in the oil sands in Canada.
Also I'd rather see Norway as a country, get rich off of oil than a few people in countries like Saudi Arabia, Iran, Russia, etc. Dollars put into Norway's bank accounts aren't going to used to control its citizens or kill people in Syria.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
The minute they get a good choice of EVs in the $30k-40k price range that can go 300 miles on a charge and charge up in 15 minutes or less, I'm in. That's a big bill to fill but with they will get there. I'm tired of coolant flushes, tune ups, oil changes and everything else that comes with an internal combustion engine powered car!

Yes! I'm with you all the way on that one.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Wow, let the taxpayer pay for your "free" charging and people adopt it en masse ?

Who would have thought that Human behaviour would do that ?

Wonder what the difference would be if it wasn't someone else's money paying for it ?

What's the delivery date on your S again ?

I facepalm every time a Liberal tells me there's something "free" they're getting. I'm surprised my face isn't black and purple from all the facepalms I've induced.

Let's not let facts get in the way.
smile.gif

Oh, by the way, if we did real CO2 measures, IE input versus output, even with our oil sands, the world would owe us TRILLIONS for all the scrubbing our boreal forests do...
whistle.gif

Norway and all of the Nordic countries are all very envoirmentally friendly, i am Finnish which is officially the greenest country as of 2016, although i guess having a relatively small population helps : Norway 4.5 Million , Sweden 10 Million , Finland slightly over 5 Million, the population cares a lot about preserving the environment , you will see in these countries the streets are very clean, people don't litter the streets other than for a few cigarette butts, Sweden generates a lot of their own energy by burning their own trash! , in Finland logging companies have to plant a tree for each one they cut down, i think Norway might ban all Gasoline and Diesel powered cas in the future.... i know it's a bit off topic but it's just to make Americans understand the massively different mentality that we have.
Now let's not get into the debate about global warming otherwise this thread will NEEEVER end...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back