Mazda3 iTouring vs. Hyundai Elantra GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at these two cars seriously today.

Does anyone know anything about these cars' reliability? They both look good.

We need the room a hatchback offers and we like the fuel economy. Fuel will go up in price whenever they want it to.

Is it true the Hyundai has an Atkinson cycle engine?

Any info would be welcome. Kira

My father had a 2003 or maybe 4 I can't remember anymore Mazda 3 hatchback with a 5sp manual and the 2.3L engine. It was bay far and away a fantastic little car. He sold it at 113,000 miles having performed the following work.

First set of rear brakes were worn to metal at 24,000 miles. Replaced with parts store one step down from premium pads on original rotors.

OE Goodyear RSA tires were worn to the tread wear indicators at 26,000 miles, replaced with Sumitomo HTR ZII directional tires.

Air filter replaced, 76,000 miles, still looked great but replaced anyway due to age.

Sumitomo tires replaced due to cupping causing annoying levels of noise at 85,000 miles, replaced with non directional and asymmetrical Sumitomo HTR ZIII tires.

Drivers side rear brake caliper piston leak, replaced with salvage yard caliper from totaled car. 88,000 miles.

Original battery replaced with Costco battery. 93,000 miles.

Spark plugs replaced due to high rpm misfire. 95,000 miles.

Rear brakes worn to service limit, warranty replacement of parts store pads, free. 97,000 miles.

Replaced all 4 Struts due to leaking front strut and terrible ride due to loss of fluid. 101,000 miles. (Car was driven on Detroit roads, amazing the struts lasted this long to be honest)

Front rotors have rust causing braking noise, rust seems to be coming from the inside vents out to the braking surface. Replaced front rotors, pads still had >65% material remaining but we're not re usable due to wear from rust on the OE rotors. Replaced with parts store rotors and middle of the road pads. 103,000 miles.

113,000 miles, car sold, no longer needed as he purchased a Diesel Ram to tow his trailer. Oil and filter serviced every 6,000 miles with M1 5w20 and a Purolator Pure 1 cartridge filter.

I have to say, although I'm a Toyota guy through and through, this was really a fantastic little car for him. The few UOA he did came back dauntless. I promise he'd definitely buy another. It was a lot of fun to drive and had excellent fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Looking at these two cars seriously today.

Does anyone know anything about these cars' reliability? They both look good.

We need the room a hatchback offers and we like the fuel economy. Fuel will go up in price whenever they want it to.

Is it true the Hyundai has an Atkinson cycle engine?

Any info would be welcome. Kira

I had excellent luck with a 2007 Mazdaspeed 3, so I'd be partial to the Mazda. That said, neither car would be a bad choice- buy the one that appeals to YOU.

Originally Posted By: Amirkhat
Not a bad track record,surprised the rear breaks needing changing that often.

My dad and I had several discussions to the same point. As delivered OE the rear wheels got much more brake dust than the fronts, they'd be black in 3 weeks if he didn't wash it, the fronts would still be silver. Perhaps a difference in pad compound from front to rear? The aftermarket pads lasted longer than the OE by 2x but still failed to give the service life of the front pads. Had the car been driven somewhere without salt I bet the front pads and rotors would've easily gone 150k.

To dcf: Why not buy the Mazda3?

I hear the Mazda3 is Mazda's most popular model. Is it a case of avoiding the popular car?

I think I overpaid for a Subaru because they were so popular. I think they're leak prone and no longer like them.

Back to the dilemma. Is the Hyundai a good car? ...better or worse than a Mazda?

Gotta drive the Hyundai tomorrow.

We love our Elantra. Ours is the coupe version, but the GT is essentially the same car except with 4 doors and a hatchback. The GT also has the same 2.0L GDI engine as our coupe, where the regular sedans have a 1.8L engine. It's very comfortable and drives great. Plenty of power for a small car, I believe it's 175HP. Average MPG is usually in the low 30s, with upper 30s on the highway. I did see 40 on the MPG meter with all highway driving when we went on a weekend road trip a few months ago. 23,000 miles on it now and it's been flawless. Hasn't needed anything except oil changes and a pair of wiper blades.

I have yet to drive a decent handling fun to drive Hyundai vehicle including recent sonata and Elantra. Mazda builds that in by default. It may not matter though to you.

My 06 Mazda 3 has been great so far with just over 140k on the clock. Aside from routine maintenance it needed struts, a wheel bearing (I changed both though) and a new lower control arm because of a bad ball joint. The belt tensioner pulley seems to go bad as well.

I would still have a plan for rust control if salt is used on the roads.

Last edited:
I remember reading how the GT is actually quite a different car than the standard sedan and coupe Elantra, but this was a couple years back. I would poke around on some Hyundai specific forums for more info on the GT.

My close friend has a 2014 Elantra GT and I was impressed with the vehicle. Interior was great and it's one of the best looking hyundais in my opinion.

Not sure what transmission you're interested in, but the Mazda gets big pros with both its auto and manual trans. I think I would lean towards the Mazda but the end price would play a lot into it too.

Between those two options, I would choose the Elantra. I have been very impressed with the serviceability of the late model Hyundais that I have worked on and the quality seems to be quite good.

Both are nice, probably elantra between the two. Check out a Golf before deciding.

I have a 2013 Elantra GT base model w/ manual trans. I just turned 40k and haven't had any issues other then the speedo stop working which was replaced under warranty. Thus far I have zero gripes or buyers remorse. For a base model it has a few things that go unnoticed that i really enjoy such as heated mirrors, heated cloth seats, decent stereo, and adjustable steering (sport, normal, comfy). The AC is spectacular but really robs the car of any performance (which can be expected).

My commute to work is 11 miles each way and the speed limit is 35-45 mph. I average 38+ MPG each way.

My sister bought the identical car used with 20k miles, automatic trans for 13.9k. I paid 17.9k new.

Both of us are happy. Drive them both and see what's the best fit for you.

Will be driving the Elantra GT tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

So far, bottom line value (Hyundai being ~$1500 less) and healthy warranty making the Korean look strong.

Seating comfort, nimble handling and extremely high mileage (frequent 40 MPG experiences from my sister who owns a 2012 3i Touring) may carry the day for the Mazda. Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira
Will be driving the Elantra GT tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

So far, bottom line value (Hyundai being ~$1500 less) and healthy warranty making the Korean look strong.

Seating comfort, nimble handling and extremely high mileage (frequent 40 MPG experiences from my sister who owns a 2012 3i Touring) may carry the day for the Mazda. Kira

Keep me posted. Good luck on your search.

We got into the Elantra GT, drove down the apron right onto the highway and stepped on the right pedal.

It's tiny sounding engine (OK, because we want economical operation not stump pulling oomph) revved its guts out and the steering wheel transmitted a rhythmic wobbling which didn't go away until I let off the gas.
It seemed to drive, steer and stop OK.
Then we swapped and my other half stepped on the gas and felt the exact same thing I did and gave me a look of "unpleasant surprise".

The salesman's mention of tires having flat spots from sitting in the lot didn't do it for me. When the car wobbled so upon "Mr Kira's" turn behind the wheel I mentioned that the tires must've been warmed up by then.

We said thanks and left.

The Mazda3i Sports (trim level) we drove (2 different dealers) felt infinitely better. Stronger, straighter and much more solid.

I had no dog in the fight. The Mazda walked away with the afternoon.

My friend INSISTS we drive a KIA. Sure, why not? Kira

I remember shopping with my daughter a couple years ago. We drove a loaded Elantra, the floorboards would actually flutter on big bumps!

I thought by now they would have caught up to others in the biz but apparently not.

They caught our eye due to cool styling, really cheap price, excellent warranty, and tons of gadgets and doodads...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back