Pump vs auto loading Shotgun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we go - I suggested the small frame OP look into a 20 ga and related ammo.
There are even tactical versions - but I prefer a basic gun and proper ammo.

Apparently when I mentioned my .410 (did not see anyone else) its like I'm calling it preferred stock. No, I vetted this with my fishing buddy cop - and he said carry something not too radical - "you can beat the rap, but not the ride" (internet nowadays)
First and foremost - a .44 mag sleeps in my bedroom.
But 1-1/2 hours down to the camp - I load bird shot. When I get there: 2 birdshot followed by disc style rounds and last round is a slug. I'm far, far, more likely to find a 4 foot Diamondback at my door than a person (two have been right there - others here and there) - so I always have birdshot for starters. As mentioned - there is a big selection of .410 nasty rounds due to the Judge and other handguns. I have some - just don't carry them on the road.

Then you've considered the most likely threat (diamondbacks) and chosen your load to be appropriate to that threat.

However, the OP specifically stated "home defense" and I would not recommend two loads of birdshot for that purpose. Your intruder/attacker may be armed and determined. In that instance, you need a load that will stop the threat (incapacitation) as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
I have a Mav88 12ga 5 shot 18" barrel. $200-250 you can't go wrong. Five shots of 00 buck is a good defense weapon for home.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
I didn't - but don't think folks have not been killed by larger birdshot ...

Just because a round CAN be lethal does not mean that it will reliably. The 25acp is a perfect example. I recall a case where a lady was held up by a robber and she pumped a full mag of 25acp into the man. He died.....many minutes after strangling her to death. There have also been reports that at the out edges of conventional pistol defense distance, the have simply bounced off skulls. Our former vice president pumped an octogenarian's face and neck full of birdshot and the guy easily lived. A friend of mine was a LEO out in Richmond California and saw a man take both barrels of a SxS 12 gauge (birdshot) to the chest and he was able to walk to the ambulance to be transported to the hospital. His chest was hamburger helper, but he was not incapacitated.

You should always select the round that is efficient in its lethality, not simply lethal at some point. Look at what military and LEO's use as a guide. Those people want to shut down threats fast and efficiently, so they can go home at the end of the day whole.

Initially I thought a Remington 870 with the shortest legal barrel you can get and and extended magazine (tube).

I have an 870 and I just gave away my 1100 (Semi-auto).

In the heat of the moment I would think a semi-auto would be ideal. You'd hate to be in a tense situation where you were unable to get off a second shot because your subconsciousness forgot to reload a fresh shell.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: CT8
Why a shot gun?
because a bullitt can pass through several walls and kill a neighbor 3 doors down

It might, if you are shooting a full battle rifle with FMJ ammo.

A pistol caliber carbine is a great idea for a HD weapon; specifically a .357 magnum. Very low recoil with the most powerful ammo, relatively cheap to feed for practice, easy to clean, and very handy even in a house. I can tell you with absolute certainty that a hollow-point 357 out of a pistol will go through two interior walls and stop. Out of a rifle, maybe a third. If one did miss and it went out a window, sure, anything will go at least a hundred yards. In my mind, it can't be beat.

If you do want a shotgun, my recommendation is a 20 gauge unless you find yourself to be a "gun person".

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Get a pump.

The sound a pumping action itself is enough to scare a home invader.
No, it's not. And if it is. Charging a semi will sound similar. Then after it's charged it's easier to shoot and no worries about short stroking. The only benefit a pump has for most people is much lower cost of entry for similar quality.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: Al

The sound a pumping action itself is enough to scare a home invader.

or let them know where you are at.

Exactly. The moment an intruder inside your house figures out you know he is there is when the bullets/buckshot/slugs hit him.

Have you ever taken any firearm/ hunting safety courses? I have been to a few lead by LEO's and regarding shotguns, they have preached the pump over semi auto debate most of the time.

If the OP is asking this sort of question, he is a newb. (No offense to the OP.. we all have to start somewhere.) I do NOT recommend a semi auto shotgun to a newby gun owner and once again, this is also preached in gun/ hunting safety courses by LEO's.

As far as the noise, you contradicted yourself a few posts down. "A pump will sound similar to a semi auto." then you agree to the statement "A pump will give away your position." What?

If the OP gets a gun fitting to his frame, proper firearm training and practice will eliminate your short stroking worry too.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
Any info on the cadaver? Obviously close range.

Supposedly 7-1/2 birdshot indoors. I don't doubt it. I've sawed 2"X4"'s in half at close range with Trap loads out of a riot gun, just screwing around. When your pattern is barely the size of a fist, it doesn't matter what the shot size is.

Have you ever taken any firearm/ hunting safety courses? I have been to a few lead by LEO's and regarding shotguns, they have preached the pump over semi auto debate most of the time.

If the OP is asking this sort of question, he is a newb. (No offense to the OP.. we all have to start somewhere.) I do NOT recommend a semi auto shotgun to a newby gun owner and once again, this is also preached in gun/ hunting safety courses by LEO's.

As far as the noise, you contradicted yourself a few posts down. "A pump will sound similar to a semi auto." then you agree to the statement "A pump will give away your position." What?

If the OP gets a gun fitting to his frame, proper firearm training and practice will eliminate your short stroking worry too.
Post some links of current firearms instructors and experts recommending a pump over semi for police or home defense. 20 and 30 year old information is outdated. Pumps have one advantage. They cost less to get a good one. After that the semis rule. Police have been offloading their trusty pumps for years.

I have both and like the pump better. Both function flawlessly, it's more of a personal preference than anything else.

My Model 1200 has been flawless for 50 years, but for trap, skeet, and clays I prefer autos.
For HD, use whatever weapon you have confidence in.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Originally Posted By: CT8
Why a shot gun?
Why not?
Good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back