VW. Jetta 1.4T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
NO, because it's a VW. I do not support a company that outright lies to the customers.

Using that criterion, I can't think of very many products that you'd buy including food and clothing.
You wouldn't be able use utilities for natural gas, electricity and water either.
I guess a phone of any kind would be off the table.
Also, who is your ISP?
Mother Theresa?

You are an idiot. Samsung for example has just recalled Galaxy Note 7 for a few explosions from the batteries( 35 defects out of 2.5 million sold), VW rigged all their cars, and required government intervention.

Using internet postings as only criteria shows how mentally handicapped you are, go away troll.

The OP asks whether anyone has any experience with the VW 1.4T.
You weigh in with some irrelevant nonsense about VW the company.
Tell me again who the troll is.
Your reply to my post also indicated that you lacked any comprehension of what I wrote, or that you have no sense of irony.
For you to have referred to me as an idiot does make me smile since I do have a well developed sense of irony.

Its going to come off bad but I have been dealing with German manufacturers for nearly forty years
and their arrogance in regards to their products is legendary. We are perfect and get used to it. I can't complain as I made my living fixing their screw-ups. I was going to import a line of guns several years back and I got the axe because I asked them about parts availability and I was told...... " Our guns are so well engineered that spare parts are not required".... Only after years of poor QC did they get their act together but honestly it was too late.

This stuff has went on for years in my industry. Parts are where you make your money. People love to hoard them.
So I was always put off by German wares. I'm sure this isn't the norm but it has been in my business.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
We liked the Passat rental we had while our old Honda was getting fixed. Although owning one for the long haul wasn't our cup of tea due to their history of issues, and well-documented screwing of owners on warranty repairs. The only way we'd buy one is from a dealer with known good post-sale customer service.

Hey OP,

Check how the engine runs on 87 in situations like hot weather. That's a downside for some small turbos, but I don't know if that engine suffers those issues. Having to run higher octane eats up a lot of your efficiency savings on per mile cost.

The newer 1.8 and 1.4 have a good reputation with mAny people, but you have to remember the car it's in. The jetta is a decontented model aimed at the U.S. and China. The car was pretty bad when it came out in 2011, but they've polished that turd pretty well. It still has a really cheap interior.

The golf is superior in every way but cost.

I work international and that includes several German engineers - we talk about cars allot. One thing of interest is a large percent of them remain loyal to thier brands - good times and bad. Same with Korea. (Worked there plenty).
So, I have to ask - without that "base support" - or said differently if they were like we are in the US - would VW have gotten so close to Toyota in sales - despite the hit from emissions issue, quality issues, etc ...
I think one irony is high gas/diesel prices - aided by endless regularly changes - helped them gain significant momentum - so yeah - those upset by the scandal might see it as cheating - and it does come down to jobs & money.

My 1.8 runs great in hot weather on 85 octane (5k' altitude). Yes there is some power lost on 85+ days, but what engine doesn't like cooler air? Even on the hottest days, AC going, i don't consider it a slow car. Buying premium gas in the hot months is probably a good idea. It has a very advanced ECU, low compression, direct injection, everything you need to be happy on regular gas.

Vw is a mixed bunch in terms of problems. The 1.4t is us spec is brand new and has risk involved.

If the price is low enough and your exit plan is not excessively expensive I'd say go for it. This vehicle I'd consider coupling an extended warranty sold at cost to buy the car. If the dealer states no walk.

so many choices of vehicles that are 4 door smaller sedans I'd shop all around.

I did locate several 2016 Volkswagen Golf 1.8T S PZEV for just under $16K in my area.
I have pictures etc and yes they do look nice and upscale. I'll have to take a look.

The EA211 1.4t has been in the Jetta Hybrid since 2012 (or was it 11).

My biggest issue with them is the 5spM or 6spA transmission pairing, I'd much prefer 6spM or 7DSG.

Apparently a 1.5l version with VGT (variable geometry turbo) is on the way.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Maybe buy the VW if it had the quality of a Toyota.

Quality as in interior and exterior quality? VW has it beat. Driving engagement, steering and braking feel? Again VW has them beat.

Reliability long term? No. Toyota still has that one.

If you enjoy cars and driving in general, the VW will be a more enjoyable ride every day. I've seen VW's with tons of miles then others with loads of problems before 100k.

But I would also suspect someone on BITOG is much more in tune and aware to maintenance than a regular Joe driving around here to there. It would be hard for me to drive a corolla over a golf if the pricing was the same.

Go test drive both the Jetta and Golf. I'd say the biggest selling point to a VW is the driving experience. If you don't like the way it drives, then go with another make.

As for reliability and quality control, that is a legitimate issue to an extent, although a bit overblown. I have owned a 2002 Passat and a 2007 Passat. If anybody cares to look, you will find that these are the absolute worst years for reliability among VW models, according to the stats. But about 80% of the issues are small nagging things that can be taken care of in your garage in about the time as it takes to change your oil (example: coilpacks, N80 valves, cam follower (in my year engines), loose wire connectors under the seat). Not a problem for most bitogers but probably a problem for grandma with zero knowledge of cars.

Most VW issues that cause catastrophic engine failures are predictable and pretty well documented on vwvortex. For my 2002 Passat, it just involved using synthetic oil at 3-5k intervals. Not a big deal. For my 2007, it means changing the cam follower every 40-50k. Again not a big deal. But again, I'm assuming hanging out on a car forum is not a problem for most bitogers.

It's also important to do preventive maintenance. Use VW speced oil and do major scheduled maintenance like timing belts about 10k before the owner's manual specifies.

Edit: I would not trade my Passat for a Camry in a million years. Too much fun driving this thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I did locate several 2016 Volkswagen Golf 1.8T S PZEV for just under $16K in my area.
I have pictures etc and yes they do look nice and upscale. I'll have to take a look.

Wow!
That is cheap!

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant

You may be able to get a Wagon golf for about 18k if there are any 2016 left near you. That space is gold IMO.

New poster here. Just leased a 2016 Jetta, with the 1.4, a few weeks ago. Had a 2014 Nissan Sentra for the last 2 years. Although it was a nice car, it just lacked that "driving enjoyment" factor that your car should have. Yes, it was cheap on gas (40 mpg), plus, Nissan's are very reliable. But, with only 130 HP, basic AM/FM/CD player, and kind of a ho-hum style to it, it just didn't get my juices flowing when I drove it.

My wife had just purchased a 2008 VW Rabbit 2.5S from my father recently, and, after riding in it several times, I liked the feel and get up & go of it. So, I started looking into VW's, and liked what I saw of the Jetta. 150 HP Turbo-charged engine, 6 speed auto w/manual shift mode, touchscreen AM/FM/CD w/SIRIUS/XM and Bluetooth ability, back-up camera, and bigger trunk space for just a little more than what I was paying for my Sentra.

Haven't driven it a lot yet (only 330 miles), but, I love getting in it and feeling the extra power under my feet. Plus, the steering feels crisp and precise. I'm not a huge hi-tech guy, but, the camera and touchscreen w/Bluetooth has been very handy. I like it. I'm looking forward to enjoying it for many years.

NO, because it's a VW. I do not support a company that outright lies to the customers.

GM literally killed people with their numerous faults over the years and lied about it as well.

Who has VW killed?

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223

GM literally killed people with their numerous faults over the years and lied about it as well.

Who has VW killed?
Nobody said anything about GM, this post is about VW.

I don't get why people do that.

Like when someone says something negative about Trump, the Trump supporters start screaming "Yeah, but what about Hillary!?"

Note: The above isn't a political post, just an example.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223

Who has VW killed?
Nobody said anything about GM, this post is about VW.

I don't get why people do that.

Like when someone says something negative about Trump, the Trump supporters start screaming "Yeah, but what about Hillary!?"

Note: The above isn't a political post, just an example.

Yes you are correct, exactly the same analogy. One has killed someone and one has not.

Oh and my post isn't political either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back