Shell Advance ultra 4T 10w40

I picked up six quarts of shell advance 4T today. I found it at a motorcycle shop in Ohio. The stuff that is recommended by Ducati. Anyone have any experience with it? I read on shell's site and it is made of 100% GTL. It seems like it may be popular in Europe and has a very low Noack value, according to some reading.

Thoughts on this stuff?

How many miles are you going to run it in your XSR900?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
How many miles are you going to run it in your XSR900?

I'm not sure. 3-4K miles. From looking online it seems like most people are saying we don't get this oil in the US do there aren't many reviews on the oil other than on British forums.

Gods own nectar! I've tried a number of different oils in my 2 cars (One TDI and one small petrol job) and although Liqui Moly Synthoil High Tech (Expensive) produced the beat UOA figures, Shell Ultra was so close as to make no real difference. Castrol Edge and M1 were both far worse!
Shell own Pennzoil, so there might be an equivalent oil available in the US. Just try looking in their oil finder page of the shell.com web site.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Almost impossible to find and buy in the USA for less then $15 a quart, which is insane for an oil, dont care what brand.

I know. I found it for less than $10 a qt so I bought some.

Good deal, Im a fan of Shell products, I do not know why they are not marketed in the USA.

I guess they want to keep Pennzoil their flagship brand here. You would think they would rebrand Shell Advance Ultra 4T into something like Pennzoil Ultra Advanced 4T or something similar.

Both Mobil and valvoline have synthetic MC oils. Maybe it isn't profitable enough for shell to brand one under the pennzoil name?

I suppose that may take some sales away from Rotella T and T6 which they in a way market as motorcycle oils per popular demand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Almost impossible to find and buy in the USA for less then $15 a quart, which is insane for an oil, dont care what brand.

I know. I found it for less than $10 a qt so I bought some.

thats a great price
however
for less than 1/2 that price you could get SRT 15w40
which means
you can put in fresh oil twice compared to once

I bought 5 liters of this oil. It is sn and jaso ma2 rated.I intend to use it I my ninja 250r but not until next year...
Eventually I will have uoa comparison between this and motul 5100 which oddlyis more expensive today in Greece.7 euros per liter for the shell oil and 8,5 euros for the 5100.
In fact the shell oil was the cheapest full synthetic major brand oil i could find in Greece right now

I've been using this oil on my Varadero with 122.000kms , it uses 1/2 lts each 3000kms but only long trips and with hot weather ( 35º)

Ive order more from spain ante 31Eur for 4L and another 1L of Shell 15w50 to mix with it.

cheers

Originally Posted By: Torres
I've been using this oil on my Varadero with 122.000kms , it uses 1/2 lts each 3000kms but only long trips and with hot weather ( 35º)

Ive order more from spain ante 31Eur for 4L and another 1L of Shell 15w50 to mix with it.

cheers

This oil is fantastic. The shifts are the best of the oils I've tried so far. Sadly it's expensive here if you can even find it.

I used it yesterday after using only motul 5100 10w40 for 68.000kms (from the first oil change till today) on the ninja 250r.I immediately noticed a bit of extra smoothness on the engine sound and on the gear shifting .The clutch has a slightly more robust grab while releasing after a gear change.I was kind of impressed as I was completely happy from the motul for almost 10 years owning the bike.I intend to keep it for 7000kms and have a UOA to compare with the existing 6000kms UOA of motul.

I picked up six quarts of shell advance 4T today. I found it at a motorcycle shop in Ohio. The stuff that is recommended by Ducati. Anyone have any experience with it? I read on shell's site and it is made of 100% GTL. It seems like it may be popular in Europe and has a very low Noack value, according to some reading.

Thoughts on this stuff?
I’ve been running this oil in a BMW K1600GT with no issues. Changing oil at 6k intervals and had oil test at Blackstone labs. Scored very well and was told I could extent to 8K interval which I won’t. However the oil seems to be an exceptional value and quality. It is hard to find in US.

I’ve been running this oil in a BMW K1600GT with no issues. Changing oil at 6k intervals and had oil test at Blackstone labs. Scored very well and was told I could extent to 8K interval which I won’t. However the oil seems to be an exceptional value and quality. It is hard to find in US.
What score did Blackstone give the oil?

And this is an old thread dating back six years ago.

Back