Adding LED lights to a lawn tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd put a switch in the line so they are only on when you need them to be.

Lower level John Deere tractors are 'unregulated', I over charged my battery once. You can get 1156 LED bulbs but you'd still ahve the marginal factory reflectors.
I don't think a pair of LED, if you don't go wild on wattage, would be any problem at all.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: Exit32
Yes. I added LED lights to my garden tractor which is equipped with a 4-foot-wide snow-blower attachment and a fully enclosed cab to keep me warm and dry when I'm clearing my 400-ft driveway. I mounted the LED lights on top of the cab and wired them into the existing lighting circuit. The LEDs deliver much better illumination. I disconnected the feeble incandescent lights that came with the tractor, and I've had no issues with the charging system or battery. I've been running this setup for about three years -- no complaints.

FWIW, these are the LED lights I'm using:

http://amzn.com/B00DLZSAAI

thanks for the link X32------if you had to do it again, would you step up to the 48W lights?
Steve

Originally Posted By: TNpowerstroke
You asked a legitimate question. What a bunch [censored] replies. I don't have the answer for your question but the the moronic replies are what keep me from posting on this site.

I missed your intelligent, well thought out reply with solid information?? Did it get lost in the shuffle?

Got the lights in today. They feel substantial, being of mainly metal construction. Some clear RTV silicone got smeared onto the seam between the lens and the housing. Putting painters tape over the lens kept the RTV off the lens.

I was shooting for installation tonight, but between the rain and honey-do list, it didn't happen.

Pics at next update.

Here are the lights all installed:

Installation was pretty straightforward for somebody with some basic electrical knowledge and tools. I did have to crimp on some male spade ends to the lights, and re-do a factory connection with larger female spade connectors.

Placing the bracket on the sturdiest place on the grille:

Fastening it down with some fender washers underneath to add strength to the area:

All wired up:

The output is enough to see by:

All in all, I'm pretty pleased so far. I can mow past sundown with these, which will definitely come in handy this fall.

I upgraded my standard tractor bulbs to a silverstar and it increased my lighting by atleast 5x.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I upgraded my standard tractor bulbs to a silverstar and it increased my lighting by atleast 5x.

I'm not sure that a Silverstar 1156 bulb would be any brighter than the standard 1156 bulb in the stock headlight. These LED lights are noticeably brighter and have a better beam pattern than the stock headlights.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

I'm not sure that a Silverstar 1156 bulb would be any brighter than the standard 1156 bulb in the stock headlight. These LED lights are noticeably brighter and have a better beam pattern than the stock headlights.

That's probably true. While I noticed brighter lights I did not get any better light pattern just a maybe 10 feet more illumination.

Nice job on the mod sciphi! Looks great.

I think the OEMs intent for the headlamps on riding mowers is more about allowing others to see the mower as opposed to the operator being able to see at night. You pretty much HAVE to mod them if low light use is needed. The headlamps on my Cub GT 2544 were lit anytime the ignition was on. The ones on my Craftsman LT2000 have a rocker switch, but cast about as much light as a candle.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

That's probably true. While I noticed brighter lights I did not get any better light pattern just a maybe 10 feet more illumination.

The beam pattern on my mower's stock lights left a lot to be desired. So brighter bulbs in the stock housings wouldn't have done much.

01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back